PDA

View Full Version : Any words of wisdom for this mess...?

Kennyredline
06-03-2010, 02:19 PM
My car: '03 Jetta 1.8T. Put new Motomaster SE's on Feb '08 (yes, I know that was a bad idea...).

This week car goes to Southcenter Fine Cars for it's 96000km inspection, they find passenger rear tire separation. The tires have 20000km on them.

SCFC does some front end work, they say to me not to do an alignment until Cdn. Tire looks after the tire issue.

I ask Cdn. Tire to warranty BOTH rear tires, they say there is only 1/32 gone on the good rear tire, and that I do not need to replace both, as there will be virtually no difference between the two. They warranty the one bad tire, and move the new tire, and the one good rear tire to the front (new tire is now on right front)

SCFC does the front alignment "to spec". Drove to Lethbridge and back right after picking car up from SCFC, car pulls to the right, all the way there, all the way back (to/from Lethbridge).

SCFC swears the alignment was done to spec...is it the new tire or no?

Thoughts please.

Tarrantula
06-03-2010, 02:22 PM
I believe its normal to have them to pull to the right after an alignment.. maybe the road isnt perfectly flat? I would rather it pull right than left.. right into traffic when im texting with my tinted windshield. between bites of my pzone.

scat330
06-03-2010, 02:23 PM
^ Bastard. And you backed me up in other threads :cry:

You don't change just one sides brake pad do you? That's my logic so far.

My tire rotations are just front >front and rear>rear due to staggered tires, so I cant comment on if that would be enough difference....

Tarrantula
06-03-2010, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by scat330
^ Bastard. And you backed me up in other threads :cry:

You don't change just one sides brake pad do you? That's my logic so far.

My tire rotations are just front >front and rear>rear due to staggered tires, so I cant comment on if that would be enough difference....

HA HA HA HA I actually posted that in hopes that you would see it!

I wasnt actually poking fun at you, I just wanted to be a typical "Beyond" stereotype for a day.

(I said Pzone because... WHO CAN EAT THAT WITH 1 HAND!?)

Zero102
06-03-2010, 03:06 PM
Did it pull at all before the alignment? It is possible something else is worn out with the steering/suspension and that they missed it when they did the alignment.

If it didn't pull at all before then go back and ask their tech to take it for a drive with you in it, and get them to explain why it pulls :dunno:

Also, what "front end work" was done by SCFC?

Cos
06-03-2010, 03:18 PM
difference betwen 1/32 on each tire is nothing. Check air pressures as that would affect it more.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
06-03-2010, 03:21 PM
Tire pressures? Did they do a 4 wheel alignment or a 2 wheel?

WrongWheelDrive
06-03-2010, 03:24 PM
Tire inflation has been mentioned, how about a partially seized caliper? Can't be because of road crowning due to the distance and everything you recently travelled.... hmm.

I've also heard that some cars always have a very slight pull to the right for safety reasons??? Don't know how much truth there is to that, I can't see that being any MORE safe.

Anyways, yeah. Being bored at work sucks...

Twin_Cam_Turbo
06-03-2010, 03:30 PM
In North America some alignment shops set a slight pull to the left side to compensate for road crown. Partially seized caliper is another good guess.

Integra10
06-03-2010, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
In North America some alignment shops set a slight pull to the left side to compensate for road crown. Partially seized caliper is another good guess.

He said his vehicle pulls to the right. Tire pressure would be my first guess. Give it a few days last time I had a wheel allignment it had a slight pull than it eventually evened out. If it's still like that a few days from now bring it back in.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
06-03-2010, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Integra10

He said his vehicle pulls to the right. Tire pressure would be my first guess. Give it a few days last time I had a wheel allignment it had a slight pull than it eventually evened out. If it's still like that a few days from now bring it back in.

I was just referring to the post above mine, usually if they set a pull its to the left side to compensate for road crown.

stealth1313
06-03-2010, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Tarrantula

HA HA HA HA I actually posted that in hopes that you would see it!

I wasnt actually poking fun at you, I just wanted to be a typical "Beyond" stereotype for a day.

(I said Pzone because... WHO CAN EAT THAT WITH 1 HAND!?) Are you a woman or something? I could eat one in my one hand while using my other to text and steer the car

dj_rice
06-03-2010, 03:54 PM
I use my left foot to steer and right foot to brake/accelerate.

Jetta-2.0
06-03-2010, 03:59 PM
When i bought new rims for my bmw they did an alignment and after it pulled to the right i took it back and they told me only the left wheel was a bit off so they redid the alignment and its still the same:dunno:

Kennyredline
06-03-2010, 05:30 PM
SCFC did the front pads and rotors, all new, and they did some strut work as well. I am at Crappy Tire now getting the wheels balanced and they're gonna put the new tire on the other side. If the car pulls to the LEFT this time, maybe they'll warranty 2 tires to even up.

banned3x
06-03-2010, 05:43 PM
It could be the wind also. I was driving on the highway all day and the wind kept pushin me.

VetteRacin
06-03-2010, 11:31 PM
Actually if you rotate the tires you can eliminate whether or not the pull is from the tires, rotate em and the pull is still there its more then likely a wheel alignment issue. If the pull goes away its a tire issue.

Kennyredline
06-03-2010, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by Cos
difference between 1/32 on each tire is nothing. Check air pressures as that would affect it more.
This. After buddy gave me the car back, I checked the tire pressures, and they were all over the place; funny, I would have thought that either SCFC or Crappy Tire would have checked my tire pressure for me...
I took the car from Richmond Cdn. Tire, up Sarcee out the #1, as I was making that left hand bend by Stoney Trail, doing 120km/h in an 80km/h zone, I saw the cops set up with their radar...luckily, they were both busy, or I'd be facing a hefty fine right now!!!
Amazing the difference properly balanced tires make.

scat330
06-04-2010, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by Kennyredline

This. After buddy gave me the car back, I checked the tire pressures, and they were all over the place; funny, I would have thought that either SCFC or Crappy Tire would have checked my tire pressure for me...
I took the car from Richmond Cdn. Tire, up Sarcee out the #1, as I was making that left hand bend by Stoney Trail, doing 120km/h in an 80km/h zone, I saw the cops set up with their radar...luckily, they were both busy, or I'd be facing a hefty fine right now!!!

Left hand bend? you mean right?

Anyways. Cool story brah.

Tarrantula
06-04-2010, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by stealth1313
Are you a woman or something? I could eat one in my one hand while using my other to text and steer the car

I've never actually eaten one.. I just guessed based on advertisments that it should be big.. I guess I deserve a facepalm for believing tv!

:facepalm: Bad Tarrantula.

(arent they messy though?)

Kennyredline
06-04-2010, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by scat330

Left hand bend? you mean right?

Anyways. Cool story brah.
No, I mean left; the cops were set up on the right shoulder.

Cos
06-04-2010, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by Kennyredline

hurray! Custom user title? :D

Glad it worked out for you and you didnt have to go through tire warranty or alignment issues again.