PDA

View Full Version : Backcountry Camping

Unknown303
06-03-2010, 08:48 PM
Can anyone recommend a decent trail to do some back country camping. Quite some time back I did the trail to little heaven NW of Hinton, 2 days hike to the main campsite, had a decent day hike for day 3 and then 2 days back. I'm hoping for something that may follow the same kind of time line but being somewhere between Canmore and Invermere.

I'm on my way out to pickup "The Canadian Rockies Trail Guide". To hunt for some trips but if you have one you can recommend it would be appreciated.

Tik-Tok
06-03-2010, 08:50 PM
I'm going to Landslide Lake on Monday, it's a great trip 2 day trip to start the season out... but no where close to Calgary (Vancouver Island)

msommers
06-03-2010, 08:56 PM
There are some really nice ones down in Waterton!

93VR6
06-03-2010, 10:10 PM
they have lots of good trails up in kananaskis, bueller pass is a pretty good on, not 100% on that spelling.

Most trails are pretty muddy right now since it's all melting and such.

Get that book it has tons of good trails all around calgary.

Unknown303
06-03-2010, 10:16 PM
Just browsing over it right now. Finding quite a few 2 day in trips which is exactly what I'm looking for. Now just to pick one and figure out how these damn maps go together.

Gurpy
06-03-2010, 11:34 PM
Depends when, but either way the possibilities here really are endless. A few popular amazing trips are the Iceline trail (!!!), Whistling pass loop, Brazeau loop, etc. Have fun!

Unknown303
06-04-2010, 06:24 PM
I'm looking at doing a day out / camp / day hike / camp / day back for the Jun 25-27th weekend. Trying to figure out what ones will work for that right now.

Unknown303
06-20-2010, 12:04 AM
Heading out to the South Kananaskis pass this coming weekend.

Have two nights booked into the Forks campground. Going to try to hit the summit of a mountain around there. Possibly Putnik or Lyautey.

suen_boi
06-20-2010, 12:10 AM
You should also try Ribbon Lake or Three Isle.

I prefer Three Isle, there's great fishing and it's only a day's hike from the BC border. No fire allowed, though.

Ribbon Lake is more physically challenging, picturesque and good for a 3,4 person group. Fishing is okay, but you need to cast further into the lake to catch anything.

Unknown303
06-20-2010, 12:26 AM
We're probably going to check out Three Isle on day two just for the day before we trek a mountain and then back to the Forks for the evening. Just makes it a little easier not having to pack stoves and fuel.

In two weeks or so I'm probably looking at doing the North Pass and camping at Turbine Canyon.

C_Dave45
06-20-2010, 07:29 AM
Take lots of pics for us. I love the Kananaskis area hikes. We're thinking of doing a similar hike this year. So far wev just done a few "day trips" around there.

Unknown303
06-20-2010, 11:07 AM
I'm probably going to pack out as much of my gear as I can possibly think of. Will even take my tripod out I'm thinking.

ExtraSlow
06-25-2010, 09:03 PM
A couple of my favorites:
- From K-country, hike over Elk pass into Elk Lakes Provincial Park.
- From lake Louise, Hike east. Several lakes back there. Big downside is the initial hike from the road is up the ski-out, which is a gravel road in summer. hot, dusty and annoying for the first hour and a bit.
- Can hike North from Mount Norquay to meet up with Johnston's Canyon, or go further to Lake Louise.
- Kootenay park is FULL of great two to five day hikes.

All of those are paved-road accessible.

If you don't mind a bit of time of gravel roads to get to the trailhead, try out Height of the Rockies, Top of the World, or Bugaboo provincial Parks in BC. All are an easy day's drive from Calgary, and you'll find some excellent secluded hiking out there.