PDA

View Full Version : City Wide Towing Has A BMW

im2fst4u
06-03-2010, 11:33 PM
One of my kids accidentally locked the keys in our Denali tonight. Called Onstar and they sent 3 messages to my truck to unlock the doors and each one failed.
They could not open the doors as the truck was in the garage. The signal would not reach my truck through the walls and roof of the garage :banghead:

Onstar said that they would send out a tow truck to unlock my truck free of charge in an hour or so.

45 minutes later a BMW motorcycle arrives. Guy comes to the door and says he is here to unlock my doors.
Wow, we were expecting a tow truck. He unlocks the truck and we start talking.

He tells me that this is the only motorcycle in Calgary that performs unlocks, boosts, etc. He carries jerry cans, first aid kits and is fully equipped to do emergency roadside assistance. Turns out the BMW is a former CHP motorcycle and he brought it up from the states for this purpose.
I guess these CHP BMW motorcycles are equipped with heavy duty alternators, ABS brakes and a variety of other features that make them stand out from the public ones.

Long story short, great idea and great service! He made a good point, why send out a large diesel truck to do an unlocking when they have this motorcycle!

Anyway thanks to City Wide for their prompt and professional service!

Oh and Onstar.....if my truck was ever stolen and parked in a garage or dumped in an underground parking lot how would you help find it :dunno:

The BMW is like the one pictured below but it is now vinyl wrapped in blue, white and gold to match City Wide's trucks.
http://www.bobsbmw.com/motorcycles/images/used/xe88085/profile-lg.jpg

Twin_Cam_Turbo
06-03-2010, 11:35 PM
Pretty sweet idea!

Graham_A_M
06-03-2010, 11:38 PM
THAT is random. :eek:
Wow..... didn't see that one coming

scat330
06-04-2010, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
THAT is random. :eek:
Wow..... didn't see that one coming

My thoughts exactly.... Cool!

And good point about onstar, LOL!

freshprince1
06-04-2010, 09:25 AM
See what private industry and capitalism does!?!? It provides prompt, efficient, and effective service through innovative means. I love it. Good work Citywide.

sneek
06-04-2010, 09:34 AM
Effing awesome!:facepalm: for OnStar remote unlock though

Kennyredline
06-04-2010, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by sneek
Effing awesome!:facepalm: for OnStar remote unlock though

Hello, this is Jerry from Onstar, we see you've been in a front-end collision, but we don't know where you are, sorry 'bout that; good luck!!

bjstare
06-04-2010, 09:41 AM
Pretty cool.

On another note, those bikes come with ABS stock.

HondaKid
06-04-2010, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by freshprince1
See what private industry and capitalism does!?!? It provides prompt, efficient, and effective service through innovative means. I love it. Good work Citywide.

Yeah one could never get a boost or tow in 1972 Russia, long live freedom and the right to a quick boost due to the ONSTAR failure from a USA bailed-out automotive company. We live in glorious times. Getting the city tow contract might have something to do with success, Calgary is tow happy. Not in a foot way.

The bike and idea is cool, until they ruined it with their company colours.

atgilchrist
06-04-2010, 09:46 AM
Good idea! And actually left you with a positive experience out of the situation, which is way better marketing than any commercial.

98type_r
06-04-2010, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by HondaKid

looks way cooler with the CHP logos on it. They've since started shopping for cheaper bikes though.

davesparky6
06-04-2010, 10:06 AM
I'll be sure to request this bike in February... When it's -30
Good idea for the rest of the planet though.

MGCM
06-04-2010, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by davesparky6
I'll be sure to request this bike in February... When it's -30
Good idea for the rest of the planet though.

Tell that to the Cops who are on Bikes all summer long, u don't think they save shitloads of money on gas? I applaud the use of the bike by citywide and CPS, gas prices suck and they are smart enough to find ways to work around it. Even if they only get 4 months of use per year that's still shitloads of gas they saved.

TomcoPDR
06-04-2010, 06:27 PM
Did they tell you to try holding up your cell phone (while on the phone with central) up to the Denali on-star antenna.

Some say it works with remote starters and key fobs... (person by vehicle holding up cell phone, person on the other line presses fob buttons)

theken
06-04-2010, 06:46 PM
They weren't doing it to save gas at all. The guy that came out owned the bike previous. He works in the office and does unlocks and boosts and stuff when the night shift is busy with other stuff. He asked if he could do unlocks for some extra money and the owner of city wide figured he would stick cw colors on it. Its effective but I would never do that to my bike for anyone

J-D
06-04-2010, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by MGCM

Tell that to the Cops who are on Bikes all summer long, u don't think they save shitloads of money on gas? I applaud the use of the bike by citywide and CPS, gas prices suck and they are smart enough to find ways to work around it. Even if they only get 4 months of use per year that's still shitloads of gas they saved.

CHP is California highway patrol, not calgary police service

MGCM
06-05-2010, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by theken
They weren't doing it to save gas at all. The guy that came out owned the bike previous. He works in the office and does unlocks and boosts and stuff when the night shift is busy with other stuff. He asked if he could do unlocks for some extra money and the owner of city wide figured he would stick cw colors on it. Its effective but I would never do that to my bike for anyone

Either way, in the end you can't argue that there is money being saved by using that bike when weather permits.

Originally posted by J-D

CHP is California highway patrol, not calgary police service

what I meant was that CPS DOES use bikes as well and I can promise they are saving money by using them when weather permits.

theken
06-05-2010, 06:43 PM
I can argue that he is taking money from a real drivers pocket though as he gets paid salary and the drivers get commission. So he is getting paid then taking work away from a driver who now is essentially getting fucked twice

Zhariak
06-05-2010, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by im2fst4u
One of my kids accidentally locked the keys in our Denali tonight. Called Onstar and they sent 3 messages to my truck to unlock the doors and each one failed.
They could not open the doors as the truck was in the garage. The signal would not reach my truck through the walls and roof of the garage :banghead:

Onstar said that they would send out a tow truck to unlock my truck free of charge in an hour or so.

45 minutes later a BMW motorcycle arrives. Guy comes to the door and says he is here to unlock my doors.
Wow, we were expecting a tow truck. He unlocks the truck and we start talking.

He tells me that this is the only motorcycle in Calgary that performs unlocks, boosts, etc. He carries jerry cans, first aid kits and is fully equipped to do emergency roadside assistance. Turns out the BMW is a former CHP motorcycle and he brought it up from the states for this purpose.
I guess these CHP BMW motorcycles are equipped with heavy duty alternators, ABS brakes and a variety of other features that make them stand out from the public ones.

Long story short, great idea and great service! He made a good point, why send out a large diesel truck to do an unlocking when they have this motorcycle!

Anyway thanks to City Wide for their prompt and professional service!

Oh and Onstar.....if my truck was ever stolen and parked in a garage or dumped in an underground parking lot how would you help find it :dunno:

The BMW is like the one pictured below but it is now vinyl wrapped in blue, white and gold to match City Wide's trucks.
http://www.bobsbmw.com/motorcycles/images/used/xe88085/profile-lg.jpg

Sorry to hear about Onstar!

You should take it to the dealership to see if something is busted...

I've been 3 floors underground in a cement parking lot with my Escalade and have been using the phone etc...

And as for the story!

Neato!

Integra10
06-05-2010, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by HondaKid

Yeah one could never get a boost or tow in 1972 Russia, long live freedom and the right to a quick boost due to the ONSTAR failure from a USA bailed-out automotive company. We live in glorious times. Getting the city tow contract might have something to do with success, Calgary is tow happy. Not in a foot way.

:werd:

On a side note though the bike is an awesome idea. But I hate city wide with a passion.

adam c
06-06-2010, 10:42 AM
saw the guy yesterday

Claims Manager
07-07-2010, 02:37 PM
Hi, I am Jason Gordon the owner operator of the BMW Motorcycle Service unit for City Wide Towing. I certainly appreciate all the positive feed back on the fuel effeciency and added service, as that was the goal to begin with. I would like to add to theken that although I work full time as the Credit Manager for City Wide Towing on Thursday and Friday nights and Saturdays when I operate the motorcycle service unit I am 100% commission, and we only strive for better customer service. Thanks again for everyone who posted and I look forward to surprising customers each week.

Sincerely,

Jason Gordon
Owner Operator
Unit 938
City Wide Towing

Integra10
07-07-2010, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Claims Manager
Hi, I am Jason Gordon the owner operator of the BMW Motorcycle Service unit for City Wide Towing. I certainly appreciate all the positive feed back on the fuel effeciency and added service, as that was the goal to begin with. I would like to add to theken that although I work full time as the Credit Manager for City Wide Towing on Thursday and Friday nights and Saturdays when I operate the motorcycle service unit I am 100% commission, and we only strive for better customer service. Thanks again for everyone who posted and I look forward to surprising customers each week.

Sincerely,

Jason Gordon
Owner Operator
Unit 938
City Wide Towing

Beyond always delivers.