PDA

View Full Version : A nice concrete shower on my vehicles

r3ccOs
06-03-2010, 11:41 PM
So... this morning, get a knock on the door
It was Rollings Concrete wondering if they could park in front of my house to pour into the forms setup for the foundation in the lot next to me. This was just because of a garbage bin in the way.

I say, sure why not, thinking that they would park in an intuitive way to be able to get to the forms.

But no, they decided just park in fron to my house, raise the boom with an elbow right over my cars and into the lot instead. While doing so, the weather started to get bad and while retracting the boom (according to my neighbor) the elbow spurted and sprayed concrete over my cars.

Luckily, my neigbor called me and said, dude have a look at your cars, so I go outside and I do... to find nice blotches of concrete all over both of my vehicles.

Okay... the guys come up to me and apologize and say, "we'll take care of it for you"
I "frustrated" just said, I'll go get my power washer... and as I setup my powerwasher with my garage door closed, I find two guys with brooms, seriously plastic brush brooms, brooming off my car!

I said, um... don't do that, I'll just power wash it off. & they said, that's a good idea...
You think?

So I power wash it off as well as I could, but as it was overcasted and raining, I couldn't see everything.

The cars dried out by 4:00 PMish, and I went back outside to have a look and there were bits of concrete everywhere.

Thats when I decided to go and take them to a car wash and see what the end result was.

The end result ended up being my poor cars having quarter sized chunks of clear coat missing all over them. Now, a neighbor who happens to be a cribber, said that this is all likely to do with the curing agent in the concrent that I was not forewarned about.

I give Rollings a call, close to their end of day, and spoke to one person at dispatch who gave me the brush off of, call back tomorrow, but you should just make an insurance claim.

So... curious anyone had a situation like this and can recommend what is the appropiate course of action?

Pictures of course were all taken, from when the boom was over the car, to the aftermath.

im2fst4u
06-03-2010, 11:49 PM
Interested in seeing pics and man that's shitty......

I would have had a hard time refraining from shoving the brooms up their asses!

Get on the blower tomorrow morning or better yet take the car down to their office and drag someone in authority out to show them.

If nothing else make a claim and hope for the best

jonnycat
06-04-2010, 09:07 AM
:facepalm: I would have fucking lost it.

scat330
06-04-2010, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by jonnycat
:facepalm: I would have fucking lost it.

You have no IDEA!

My fucking god. Blue collar workers just dont give a fuck.

Wow.

I give you as much sympathy as I can give without appearing attracted to you.

(About the dust, when I used to park in an underground condo building, you'd never leave your vehicle there without covering it for extended periods of time due to the dust that would settle - bad for the paint, so I can see how real concrete screwed your paint over)

Phenix
06-04-2010, 09:16 AM
No don't run it through your insurance. they should pay for it. and they can pay to have the whole front end of your car repainted. That is complete garbage. don't let the guy blow you off.

Does Lafarge own rolling concrete? you could always phone and talk to someone else. don't let this go!

Concrete is nasty stuff and will destroy your paint big time

LLLimit
06-04-2010, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by r3ccOs

It was Rollings Concrete wondering if they could park in front of my house to pour into the forms setup for the foundation in the lot next to me. This was just because of a garbage bin in the way.

Make sure you get the company name right.
rollingmix

Phenix
06-04-2010, 09:24 AM
What a mickey mouse site. lol

Kloubek
06-04-2010, 09:24 AM
That's total bullshit. I would be livid.

Do NOT put this on your insurance. They fucked up, and it is their responsibility to fix it.

This could turn into one hell of an epic thread...

Originally posted by Phenix

Isn't it though? This company seems brutal on all accounts....

jonnycat
06-04-2010, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by scat330

You have no IDEA!

I do. I bought a used F-150 a couple of years ago from a dealership where I worked, and a new parts counter person was told to order a new air filter for the truck. Truck checked out clean, just needed an oil change and new air filter

Three weeks later I asked him why he had a dirty air filter sitting behind the desk for the better part of a month. He told me it was mine, and it was so dirty he didn't want to put it back in the truck.

I said well as long as you put a new one in, and kind of lol'd until he told me he hadn't ordered one yet.

So I asked him, what was in the truck? He said nothing right now!

I was living in a new construction area, hot and dry mid summer where silt, fine dust and thick heavy dust were rampant and was all being sucked right into the engine for almost a month on a daily basis.

freshprince1
06-04-2010, 09:29 AM
If Lafarge owns that company, let me know. I have contacts there and can probably get you talking to the right person.
EDIT: Lafarge does not own Rolling Mix Conrete.
EDIT#2: Just talked to my buddy at Lafarge. This happend to them all the time and they pay for a repaint. He laughed when I said the crew tried to sweep it off.

And, yah, do not let them off the hook, they should and probably will pay for this if you find the right person...just keep calling. Get a hold of the Operations Manager.

Post Company's full name and I'm sure Beyond CSI can help you find the right person.

Kennyredline
06-04-2010, 09:41 AM

)

:rofl:

davesparky6
06-04-2010, 10:12 AM
I hate that shit
:banghead:
Hopefully they end up helping you out. Can't believe they actually used brooms!

Cos
06-04-2010, 10:22 AM
Their website looks like it is from 1955

HondaKid
06-04-2010, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Phenix

Adding it to my collection of worst websites ever.

ercchry
06-04-2010, 10:24 AM
would insurance not work for this? would it not be like an accident between your car and a cement truck? let your insurance deal with theirs?

LLLimit
06-04-2010, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Cos
Their website looks like it is from 1955

Hasn't changed since I worked in the Edmonton batch plant many years ago:angel:

HondaKid
06-04-2010, 10:27 AM

I do. I bought a used F-150 a couple of years ago from a dealership where I worked, and a new parts counter person was told to order a new air filter for the truck. Truck checked out clean, just needed an oil change and new air filter

Three weeks later I asked him why he had a dirty air filter sitting behind the desk for the better part of a month. He told me it was mine, and it was so dirty he didn't want to put it back in the truck.

I said well as long as you put a new one in, and kind of lol'd until he told me he hadn't ordered one yet.

I was living in a new construction area, hot and dry mid summer where silt, fine dust and thick heavy dust were rampant and was all being sucked right into the engine for almost a month on a daily basis.

This whole scene is so ripe for Corner Gas, were it still shooting.

r3ccOs
06-04-2010, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by LLLimit

Make sure you get the company name right.
http://www.rollingmix.com/

Got it right! thanks

scat330
06-04-2010, 10:29 AM

I believe you, I meant you have no Idea how mad I would of got etc. etc... But your story is a piss off too, I can just image him leaning back in his chair with that stupid smile salesmen have.

r3ccOs
06-04-2010, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by freshprince1
If Lafarge owns that company, let me know. I have contacts there and can probably get you talking to the right person.
EDIT#2: Just talked to my buddy at Lafarge. This happend to them all the time and they pay for a repaint. He laughed when I said the crew tried to sweep it off.

And, yah, do not let them off the hook, they should and probably will pay for this if you find the right person...just keep calling. Get a hold of the Operations Manager.

Post Company's full name and I'm sure Beyond CSI can help you find the right person.

Appreciated
Spoke to a lady who takes care of "warranty" who indicated its not typically her job, but she was very sympathetic and asked me to draft a synopsis note w/ sequenece of events and whatever evidance I could put together.

I drafted a nice nastygram, remaining emotionally devoid of course and we will see what the results will be.

97luder
06-04-2010, 10:31 AM
i think if you do a claim on your insurance it may raise your insurance , unless your insurance company will just deal with theres give your insurance company a call and just see what they say to do or try to get them to pay for the damages and after a while if they still say no take them to small claims court

hope it works out for you

zieg
06-04-2010, 10:32 AM
hmmm.. subscribed. :)

Sentry
06-04-2010, 10:36 AM
BROOMS? OH HELL FUCKING NO

cherpintow
06-04-2010, 10:41 AM
Thinking about hiring these guys cause the subie needs a new paint job :poosie:

adidas
06-04-2010, 11:05 AM
Show us pics

HondaKid
06-04-2010, 11:10 AM
You acted in such a civil way (none of us would have):

I find two guys with brooms, seriously plastic brush brooms, brooming off my car!

I said, um... don't do that, I'll just power wash it off. & they said, that's a good idea...

They might have been corn curling brooms? Pics of the damage!

Just for the kids on Beyond, corn brooms in action:

DoFI-ITBEbw

derran.m
06-04-2010, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by cherpintow
Thinking about hiring these guys cause the subie needs a new paint job :poosie:

Great idea LMAO! :rofl:

bspot
06-04-2010, 11:52 AM
I took a nice cement shower from a highrise construction site downtown a few years ago. I was very lucky that it was super cold out and it froze on my car and washed right off. Good luck :(

r3ccOs
06-04-2010, 11:55 AM
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v488/r3cc0s/Rolling%20Mix%20Concrete/

scat330
06-04-2010, 01:11 PM
ouch.

2000TL
06-04-2010, 01:23 PM
Oh wow! Unbelievable! You were pretty patient throughout it all. I hope everything works out for you.

r3ccOs
06-04-2010, 02:30 PM
Growing impatient, as I only have 3 days to file a police report... and I haven't heard back yet today

sputnik
06-04-2010, 02:41 PM
Since when was "brooming" a verb?

badatusrnames
06-04-2010, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by HondaKid
They might have been corn curling brooms? Pics of the damage!

Just for the kids on Beyond, corn brooms in action:

:confused:

r3ccOs
06-04-2010, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
Since when was "brooming" a verb?

Since I declared it!

My note used the proper verb, sweeping... but brooming sounds like a thing you'd do with a broom lol

88CRX
06-04-2010, 03:12 PM
Yea why not get a police report ASAP?

Then fax it to them to show you mean buisness.

old&slow
06-04-2010, 06:08 PM
Did you see them erect the boom over your cars?...I sure would have been moving anything under that.

r3ccOs
06-04-2010, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by old&slow
Did you see them erect the boom over your cars?...I sure would have been moving anything under that.

Couldn't move
Boxed in...

I "thought" they were just going to put the mixer in front of my driveway, but instead, they moved the crane into the spot and put the boom over the cars within 10 minutes.

We didn't even notice until my other half looked out the window, as I was busy doing my job.

TheCheff
06-04-2010, 06:42 PM
Talk to the Developer who hired them or the foreman of the crew. Why didn't you take down their contact info after it happened?

frozenrice
06-04-2010, 08:18 PM
The family that owns Rolling Mix is Italian. I'm pretty sure they'll know somebody in autobody.

Lex350
06-04-2010, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by freshprince1

for fuck sakes....Rollings mix is owned by the Distefano family....Tony, Rick or if you want to deal with a lawyer ask for Marco . Lafarge has nothing to do with it. Rick is a big car nut. He used to drive a tubed old Chevelle in High school. He ran a pro stocker if I remember correctly. He is a car guy so he may have sympathy...then again he is a spoiled brat rich kid so maybe not.

frozenrice
06-04-2010, 10:30 PM
I doubt Rick would be the kind that appreciates imports.

slinkie
06-05-2010, 03:25 PM

Blue collar workers just dont give a fuck..... when I used to park in an underground condo building...

we get it :rolleyes:

op thats rough man, keep us updated.

r3ccOs
06-06-2010, 09:55 PM
So, I have been working things with the company's Safety Manager, who came to my place to assess or more or less confirm the damages that I had claimed.

At first he was quite apprehensive to admit to any wrongdoing, and indicated that "though" he's not a body man, that he can't be sure whether this can buff out or not.

I at that point just said, you know what... I'll just go to a body shop, get a quote and get my insurance to deal with yours, please give me the issuer's information.

That's when he just smiled and said, we do have a shop we use and I'll talk to them to get to call you to set an appointment.

He wrong down some information, as he was writing up a case for this situation and off he went.

Guess I'll have to wait and see what happens

FraserB
06-06-2010, 10:18 PM
Get your own quotes and see if they jive with what his shop say, if his are lower, make him just cut you a cheque for the average of your quotes.

bignerd
06-06-2010, 10:51 PM
Go to a shop of your choice if you do not like "their" shop.

Mitsu3000gt
06-07-2010, 09:46 AM
I wouldn't use their shop unless it's a well known, reputable one. You can bet the only thing they care about is lowest possible cost if they are choosing the place. You'll probably just end up with more problems down the road.

Rusted Bumper
06-07-2010, 05:26 PM
I'd say get the police report asap.

I'd go one step further and find a shop that is preferred by your insurance company and that you prefer it as well. Get a quote and tell him that's the price.

If he doesn't like it, tell him you will be using this shop through your insurance and he'll have to pay it regardless. And if you have rental coverage through your insurance, tell him he'll get a bill for that too.

Going to your insurer's preferred shop may help if things go sour and repairs have started/finished. Most likely it would be under vandalism coverage, if you have it. You may also have to eat a deductible, but I think there's enough for your insurance to go after them, maybe get your deductible back.

D. Dub
06-08-2010, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
I wouldn't use their shop unless it's a well known, reputable one. You can bet the only thing they care about is lowest possible cost if they are choosing the place. You'll probably just end up with more problems down the road.

I wouldn't use their shop even if it is a well known one. It's your right to chose who makes your vehicle whole again.

Integra10
06-08-2010, 08:16 PM

You have no IDEA!

My fucking god. Blue collar workers just dont give a fuck.

Wow.

(About the dust, when I used to park in an underground condo building, you'd never leave your vehicle there without covering it for extended periods of time due to the dust that would settle - bad for the paint, so I can see how real concrete screwed your paint over)

Wow thanks Dickhead.

Anyways sorry OP if this has already been said but I didn't read all the posts. I'm A Cribber and have seen a "nameless" concrete company damage someone's vehicle before. THEY have insurance just for these types of things. There is no reason for you to be making any call to your insurance company. They should be able to cover the damages. If the concrete company is giving you a hard time tell them you will call the builder (Jayman/Excel/Who ever it is) and let them know about them damaging your vehicle. Them losing all their jobs would be alot more costly than repairing the damage they caused to your vehicle.

Will your neighbor corroborate your story? Definitely ask and make sure to take pictures of damages (preferably with that day's newspaper in the picture.) Also try and document/record and conversation you have with the concrete company. They owe you to get it fixed.

And Scat: Go Fuck yourself! :thumbsup:

r3ccOs
06-08-2010, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by Integra10

Wow thanks Dickhead.

Anyways sorry OP if this has already been said but I didn't read all the posts. I'm A Cribber and have seen a "nameless" concrete company damage someone's vehicle before. THEY have insurance just for these types of things. There is no reason for you to be making any call to your insurance company. They should be able to cover the damages. If the concrete company is giving you a hard time tell them you will call the builder (Jayman/Excel/Who ever it is) and let them know about them damaging your vehicle. Them losing all their jobs would be alot more costly than repairing the damage they caused to your vehicle.

Will your neighbor corroborate your story? Definitely ask and make sure to take pictures of damages (preferably with that day's newspaper in the picture.) Also try and document/record and conversation you have with the concrete company. They owe you to get it fixed.

I really did not want to do it, but at this point I will have to pull that trump card you've suggested.

I thought we had came to a mutual agreement, however I did not recieve any responce until late Monday afternoon, where I shot over a inqury as to how to make arrangements with the body shop of their preference.

That's where some other guy, yes with an italian name if that's relevant, indicated that he wants to look at the car again etc...
Well for me, the Safety Manager came, wrote up an incident report and took pictures.. Why do "I" need to accomdoate them any further.

Thats where things became very contencious, and where they stated that the concrete shouldn't have done that to my paint, and that they are skepticle of the situation... really at this point questioning my integrity and this "other" guy had inquired whetheer I had proof of the condition prior to this event.
Of that I had responded... why would I have? Its not like I expected your crew to come over to wreck my car... I'm not an opportunist, I'm not trying to exploite anything, I'm just the victim of a situation that needs to be rectified.
Its not even the case of wrong place wrong time... I was fricking at home.
Along with that, I don't care what they speculate... my car wasn't missing clear coate before the concrete, and it so happened to after.

I sent a snotogram yet again with this:
Hi *Safety Mgr*,
To let you & other guy* know, I won’t be home this evening or Thursday.
<As I legitimately had a soccer game on both nights>

As of this point we have determined that this is a small but inconveniencing incident that I have cooperatively and patiently provided factual & tangible evidence for. I do not see the need as to why I need to, again, make accommodations to have someone from Rolling Mix to look at my car, but if *other guy* is willing to come by on Wednesday evening, I should be available.

I have even agreed to use an auto body shop of your preference to perform an “impartial” inspection and to work as the intermediary in this case, as opposed to going through Insurance. However should I find this process to of any more inconvenience, I will just go through the traditional insurance method.

-----------------------------------
Responce from Safety super:
As I explained on Friday, *other guy* has a background in body mechanics and concrete finishing so he’ll be able to examine your car to determine how the peeling process occurred. I personally have not seen concrete peel clear coat paint as I observed on your vehicle and believe *other guy* would have the knowledge and background to determine what caused the peeling effect. *other guy* is at the Plant every morning at 6:00 am if you would like to drop in, I’m sure he’ll be happy to look at your car.
--------------------------------------------
My last responce of which I have yet to hear anything back:

Please have *other guy* contact me to see what arrangements we can make, however I’ll also contact my insurance company to see what approach is the most convenient for me.

As I do not have any close detail pictures of my car’s paint condition previous to Thursday, being that I wouldn’t have needed them prior, to eliminate any questions regarding my integrity, I do have plenty of parties outside of my household who can vouch to the damages that were incurred. This will also be noted in my statement given to the insurance company.
------------------------------------------

I then contacted my insurance adjuster, who is creating the claim and forwarded him this email sting and the evidance I collected.

Problem is this... I cannot get an accident report as this was technically a single vehicle claim. The Police indicated as there was no intent, malice etc... that this is not a criminal offence Which I agree..
Thing is, this company should not be allowed to get away with negliance nor their bulleying tactics.

I have also conacted Jayman homes and will be in contact with their "construction manager" tomorrow, also forwarding the correspondance and to voice my complaint. They are also responsible for their contractors.

The insurance adjustor has all of Rolling Mix's information, and the Safety Manager's information and I hope that he will work on my behalf to deal with this headache.

brucebanner
06-08-2010, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by Integra10

Wow thanks Dickhead.

Anyways sorry OP if this has already been said but I didn't read all the posts. I'm A Cribber and have seen a &quot;nameless&quot; concrete company damage someone's vehicle before. THEY have insurance just for these types of things. There is no reason for you to be making any call to your insurance company. They should be able to cover the damages. If the concrete company is giving you a hard time tell them you will call the builder (Jayman/Excel/Who ever it is) and let them know about them damaging your vehicle. Them losing all their jobs would be alot more costly than repairing the damage they caused to your vehicle.

I agree with this, especially the part with; go fuck yourself Scat.thumbsup:

rob the knob
06-08-2010, 10:37 PM
i wonder contact workplace safety board or whatever it called in alberta calgary.

not major issue though not safe to run concrete over people and cars. could cause inconvenience for concrete company

01RedDX
06-08-2010, 10:53 PM

FraserB
06-08-2010, 11:07 PM
They are trying to get out of paying you, the guy who looks at your car will say there is no way the concrete did that and try to send you packing. Go to Jayman's safety officer or construction manager and let them know whats going on. Once the housing company starts breathing down their necks they should pay up. If they don't, you should be able to go after Jayman's insurance for this if that is who they were working for.

Sending the pictures to workplace health and safety might not so anything but it would be a nice parting gift if it does.

5hift
06-09-2010, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by 01RedDX

Scat is neither blue collar nor white collar. He is popped collar.

:rofl:

r3ccOs
06-09-2010, 02:44 PM
So nobody called me, and as of an hour ago I heard nothing until the Safety Manager gave me an excuse that they were busy, via email, and finally gave me the information of their prefered Body Shop.

But as nobody called me, I had already opened my case with Intact insurance, went over to their VAR, Craftsman Collision, got estimated & approved and will get a rental for the duration of the repair as soon as I drop it off tomorow morning.

In the meantime, I replied back to the note indicating that I have dealt with my Insurance company, and that an adjuster will be the encumbant to represent me in this accident and that I have already had my damages approved for repair.

So I don't need to hear from him again, and that Jayman's site super for Auburn Bay, their head construction manager and their Vendor Manager have heard from me and Intact insurance.

Integra10
06-09-2010, 02:54 PM
So nobody called me, and as of an hour ago I heard nothing until the Safety Manager gave me an excuse that they were busy, via email, and finally gave me the information of their prefered Body Shop.

But as nobody called me, I had already opened my case with Intact insurance, went over to their VAR, Craftsman Collision, got estimated &amp; approved and will get a rental for the duration of the repair as soon as I drop it off tomorow morning.

In the meantime, I replied back to the note indicating that I have dealt with my Insurance company, and that an adjuster will be the encumbant to represent me in this accident and that I have already had my damages approved for repair.

So I don't need to hear from him again, and that Jayman's site super for Auburn Bay, their head construction manager and their Vendor Manager have heard from me and Intact insurance.

I hope for the best! What did the damages end up totaling? Try to keep us posted!

SRT
06-09-2010, 04:07 PM
beware of "their" shop, the same thing happened to a friend of mine but it was overspray from a building getting painted where his car was parked.

Anyway, they paint his car but fucked up somewhere and the new paint didnt stick..the whole car looked like alligator skin.

r3ccOs
06-10-2010, 02:55 PM
Total damanges tallied $3400 apparently (well according to Craftsman)

Got a loaner vehicle from Enterprise, who like the commercial, picked me up!

The Jayman vendor management team and rolling mix will now be dealing with Intact's summations team.

I'll let you guys know what the outcome is...

I asked to get a vehicle equivilient in size to my Altima SE-R, and well, I ended up with a 10' Dakota V8 SLT 4x4... go figure lol

If anyone wants to know, that Dakota is a pos... wow never have I seen so much liberal use of cheap hard plastics in all my life.
302hp apparently too, well doesn't feel like it lol

MGCM
06-10-2010, 03:28 PM
wow never have I seen so much liberal use of cheap hard plastics in all my life.

I have, in my Cobalt:rofl:

r3ccOs
06-24-2010, 12:15 PM
Got the car back, lovely condition... well blended/matched paint job

Dropped off my car at enterprise, paid the deductable and drove it home...

I was told I should not 3M the front of the car for a minimum of 3 weeks for the clear to properly "cure" maybe?

Unluckily a semi on deerfoot put a nickle sized chip on the hood less than half an hour after I got it :P such is life

Never heard back from Rolling Mix, but Jayman homes, send over their two site supers for Auburn bay, said they heard the news from their construction manager and from Matt Wesman... and indicated that they will ensure that nobody will block our driveway off or work over our property and that they were very sorry abou the inconvenience.

I assume that the Summation team from Intact has probably sent their bill over to Jayman & Rolling mix...

Any progress on the claim I'll let you now, if they ever let me know :)

Kloubek
06-24-2010, 12:21 PM
Glad to hear it is actually working out for you r3cc0s. It sure would be nice if people just took responsibility for fucking up in the first place...

r3ccOs
06-24-2010, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
Glad to hear it is actually working out for you r3cc0s. It sure would be nice if people just took responsibility for fucking up in the first place...

According to the estimator, who also did the final walk thru with me, when I picked it up... This could have been a quick $1200 cash job for a shop doing a "shady" but again cash non-insurance fix...

Rather now, that's how much Rolling Mix/Jayman will be in for, for just the truck rental for the last 2 weeks

duaner
06-24-2010, 12:48 PM
Glad it worked out too. Yours is a Code Red, isn't it? All you need to do is add a few splashes of black, like so (scroll down a bit):

http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/2005-2006-nissan-altima-se-r-discussion/305911-new-rear-valence-2.html