PDA

View Full Version : Cigar smoking in Calgary?

Isaiah
06-05-2010, 11:12 AM
Is there any place in Calgary that allows cigar smoking indoors? I know of a tobacconist downtown that has a "private cigar lounge" inside their premises so it must not be in contradiction of the current smoking bylaw:

http://www.calgary.ca/docgallery/bu/cityclerks/57m92.pdf

How do sheesha establishments get an exemption? Is flavored tobacco not considered tobacco?

gruster
06-05-2010, 01:51 PM
How do sheesha establishments get an exemption? Is flavored tobacco not considered tobacco?

I believe all sheesha places were grandfathered because they were established before the by-law has been passed.

kvg
06-05-2010, 03:25 PM
the are ok if there "member only" setups. Thats how they get away with it you buy a membership for next to nothing.

Isaiah
06-05-2010, 03:31 PM
Can anyone do that though? What are the restrictions? The bylaw seems somewhat convoluted so it's tough to determine what the limits are.

S2K2
06-05-2010, 04:01 PM
i have wondered the same i am tired of having to smoke it in our cars or in a garage some were i would love to go sit some were and enjoy a nice cuban

kvg
06-05-2010, 05:55 PM
honestly I'm not sure you would have to call the city. It's probably a bitch to do the did it so the bylaw wouldn't put those places out of biz.

know1edge
06-05-2010, 08:03 PM

97'Scort
06-06-2010, 02:14 AM
I know some tobaccanists that will hold club meetings at a private residence...usually their own...which will get around the bylaws.

Doesn't count if you're not doing it at a business.

Integra10
06-06-2010, 04:19 PM
I usually grab my cigars off of my friend when he returns from Cuba. It look like he's not going this year though. Where do you guys usually go to buy your cigars? (Cohibas preferred)

Isaiah
06-06-2010, 07:01 PM
I either travel to Cuba or the Dominican myself or know someone who is going at least once per year. I don't pay retail for cigars since I'm a frequent smoker and your premiums can run $30 - $50 per stick.

Karim316
06-06-2010, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by know1edge
i believe sheesha is exempt because they switched to tobacco free sheesha...

:confused:

No. Lots are still using tobacco. I only smoke tobacco shesha at the place I go to. I beleive the cafes get away with serving shesha because of a loop hole based on it promoting a cultural experience. Some shit like that always them to serve it.

As far as the grandfathered rationale, that also isn't true because it seems like there is a new place offering shesha every month. There are many Donair shops in the South that now offer shesha.

I would love a cigar lounge in Calgary. Something along the lines of what Barney Stinson goes to on How I Met Your Mother.

thepyrofish
06-07-2010, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by Integra10
I usually grab my cigars off of my friend when he returns from Cuba. It look like he's not going this year though. Where do you guys usually go to buy your cigars? (Cohibas preferred)

If you're willing to try some non-cuban cigars I can give you the name of a couple American websites that ship discreetly across the border. I could never afford to buy the cigars I do if I paid Canadian retail.

Christian@IE
01-28-2016, 07:24 AM
Bump.

I have an associate coming into town this weekend and would like to treat him to a premium smoke, but alas . . . no venue.

Tips appreciated.