PDA

View Full Version : buying new car - 'protection' package

Mys73ri0
06-06-2010, 01:00 AM
First off, I did do a search and this was the only thread I found useful - http://forums.beyond.ca/st/183353/new-car-protection-package-worth-it/

Just wondering if other people have anything to say.

Here's what I've come to a conclusion on so far:
Fabric protection > Not getting, don't think it's worth the price...
Paint Protection > Not getting, seems like its just expensive wax that won't last very long?
Rust Protection > 50/50 on it... is it really worth it? I do intend to keep my new car for a while. I think that just washing my car a little more in the winter to keep the road crap off would be good enough?
Undercoat protection > Pretty sure on this. Do they just spray this everywhere or they actually over up the nuts and bolts that you will need access to later on? Does it really help with noise reduction (or are there any other options)?

Clear 'tape' protection. The dealership said they don't use 3M but Avery instead, which is supposed to be better because of lifetime warranty and does not fade or turn yellowy. The car I'm looking at getting is white, so it would stand out more than all other colors if it did. Thoughts on this?

Also,
I'm getting quoted $400 +tax for just the undercoat and full front tape protection at $1200 +tax. Seems high, so does anyone know where I can go for a better price and (probably) better quality job?
I've read suggestions for Thompsin, platinum and screamin...

2EFNFAST
06-06-2010, 02:06 AM
Don't waste your time with the frabic, paint, or rust protection. Won't do shit.

Also the clear bra is usually a rip off - you can get it done cheaper. There are several forum vendors on here who offer it (I used Speedtech for mine)

euro_racer
06-06-2010, 02:47 AM
yeah...if you are interested in any of that stuff dont waste your money on it trough the dealer....get it done yourself. really on a new car the only thing i would opt for is the 3m front, and i would go to places like tinting illusions for it , it is most likely half the price LOL :thumbsup:

s2k_boi
06-06-2010, 08:17 AM
Yeah, call around. You will find many shops doing a FULL protection package including undercoating, rust protection, paint, and interior between $450 - $600 (depending on your car size etc). vs. the $400 for just undercoating.... just call around to some places and get an idea what you would be paying.

4doorj
06-06-2010, 09:55 AM
Personally I would do the undercoating and the avery protection.

But I would not get it at the dealership. I would go elsewhere.
I forgot the name of the place I get the undercoating but anywhere is cheaper then the dealership.
I always get my avery stuff done at car cosmetix. IMO Travis has the best customer service around, and probably one of the cheapest prices. ( If not the cheapest)
I've taken my last 10 cars to him. Wont take it anywhere else.

ExtraSlow
06-06-2010, 10:00 AM
Dealers always push this crap, because it has a HUGE markup.

dj_rice
06-06-2010, 10:06 AM
DO NOT BUY ANY PROTECTION PACKAGE THROUGH THE DEALER!

I work at a dealer and seen how much the mark up is. They sell them to customers for $1899 and it costs them $299-399 to do when they outsource it out.

HondaKid
06-06-2010, 11:18 AM
Rent the movie Fargo, there is plenty there about automobiles and the up sell on extras. No YouTube videos of the part, might need to add one myself.

Get it all done outside the dealership, including any floor mats, etc. A quick day trip to Montana will save you plenty on the floor mats, etc. Post again if you need more info or do a search. Undercoating, etc better to get done locally as often there are issues in the future with warranty, etc.

Xtrema
06-06-2010, 12:45 PM
1st dealer usually has 100 to 200% markup. If they are selling @ $1200, I'm sure you can get it for $600 or less else where.

There are few recommended vendors, check the car care section.

bignerd
06-06-2010, 10:50 PM
The rust protection also usually only covers full perforation of the sheet metal by rust--not bubbling of paint etc... at least in all of the packages I have seen.

This is probably not going to happen in the time that you own the vehicle. Plus they usually require you to take it in for annual "rust" inspections...... same with the paint protection. You are supposed to buy the protector and reapply annually or pay them to do it.... PITA

Fabric protection? Maybe only if you have small children and the car is not leather.

911fever
06-06-2010, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice
DO NOT BUY ANY PROTECTION PACKAGE THROUGH THE DEALER!

I work at a dealer and seen how much the mark up is. They sell them to customers for $1899 and it costs them $299-399 to do when they outsource it out.

w3rd
our dealer marks it up hugeeee

davesparky6
06-07-2010, 07:09 AM
Rust protection (undercoating) probably won't do much for rust.... New cars are fairly rustproof as it is. I always get it done because there is a big reduction in road noise. 3M is your call, but $1200 seems ridiculous.

CapnCrunch
06-07-2010, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by HondaKid A quick day trip to Montana will save you plenty on the floor mats

LOL WAT?

jonnycat
06-07-2010, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by davesparky6
Rust protection (undercoating) probably won't do much for rust.... New cars are fairly rustproof as it is. I always get it done because there is a big reduction in road noise. 3M is your call, but $1200 seems ridiculous.

Rust protection and Undercoating are two seperate items. Rust coating gets sprayed in the drainage holes of the doors, trunk and hood or there is an electric version.

Mitsu3000gt
06-07-2010, 09:33 AM
Complete waste of money, the dealerships just farm it out to the same shops you could go to separately and pay a fraction of the price. The reason they push it so hard is because they make a killing off of it.

mikey_p
06-07-2010, 06:28 PM
We do it here at our dealership right in house.. As for pricing.. We dont charge that High.. You can get Rust/Undercoat/Paint protection/interior protection for $249 each. The products that we use have lifetime gaurentee's and do much better than regular wax/scotch gaurd..

Onto the subject... I would get undercoat and the 3M tape. possiby the rust protection depending on my area.. in calgary.. yeah probably..3M is NOT worth $1200 though unless your completly wrapping your car for less wind resistance!!.. thats crazy.. we do i here also depending on the application but WOW!

Zero102
06-08-2010, 08:23 PM
When I bought my last car (earlier this year) they went through the whole spiel, and in the end I told them all I was interested in was the 3M, tint and the undercoating, and I told them I had already called and was quoted $300 for the tint, $200 for the undercoating and $200 for the 3M. They were trying to charge me $1700 for all 3, after telling them that she immediately dropped their price to $700 "just to be fair". I still said no, but the fact that she didn't even argue a tiny bit really left an impression on me.

In the end, I got a touch-up pen, wax my car monthly (which I would do anyways) and keep it clean in the winter. We'll see if the $700 I saved pays off in 20 years or not as I plan to keep this car for a very long time, and am not concerned at all about the resale value in the end.

Rat Fink
06-08-2010, 08:35 PM

dj_rice
06-08-2010, 08:41 PM
What car brand are you with Rat Fink?

Rat Fink
06-08-2010, 08:47 PM

dj_rice
06-08-2010, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Rat Fink

Ford

When you say you undercoat EVERY vehicle right when it comes off the carrier, does that mean the undercoating price is already built into the selling price of the car or how does that work if someone wants to purchase sans undercoat or are they not given that option?

Rat Fink
06-08-2010, 09:03 PM