PDA

View Full Version : Engineering to Medicine...

Super_Geo
06-06-2010, 12:58 PM
I'm about a month away from getting my P.Eng and always had the notion that it would be the point where I take some serious thoughts on the direction of my career and see if I want to change course.

I thought about writing the CFA and transitioning into finance, but you can only hang out with so many douchebag IB cocksuckers before the realization that having these guys as your co-workers for the rest of your life might not be the best idea.

So the other route I thought about going down is medicine. Does anyone know if it hurts my chances of getting into med school wtihout a biology based undergrad? Or will a good MCAT make up for that? I took Engineering Physics at Queen's and graduated back in 2006, but I didn't take a single bio course. I've been doing engineering in oil/gas ever since I graduated and have had no medical exposure whatsoever (I have, however, watched all 7 seasons of Scrubs).

I'm thinking of volunteering at a local hospital or clinic to get some more exposure to the health field and see what it does for my motivation to get in...

Looking to get opinions from the Beyonders in med school (I think there are at least 2 or 3 on here). Thanks!

dirtsniffer
06-06-2010, 01:05 PM
any thoughts about going into law school?
i heard patent lawyers start at around 140 grand :nut:

nobb
06-06-2010, 01:21 PM
Isnt there a huge biological science part of the MCAT? Taking 4 years of engineering gives you almost zero exposure to anything biological related.

Try looking at some of the sample MCAT questions:
http://www.testprepreview.com/mcat_practice.htm

I can ace all the energy, gas, electrical, physical questions but fail horribly at anything bio related. I would imagine it to be very tough to pass that portion of the MCAT without atleast BIO 30 knowledge and I cant imagine it being possible to learn all that in less than a year.

xrayvsn
06-06-2010, 02:29 PM
My good friend and colleague transitioned from engineering into medicine. He's an anesthesiologist now, and had no trouble getting through med school. He did have to go back to university in order to get his bio, chem and biochem prereqs as some schools have certain course requirements. The MCAT is just a hoop you need to jump through. Doing well on the MCAT won't suddenly get you an interview if your overall application is weak.

Little Dragon
06-06-2010, 09:08 PM
You can do it. A doctor that helps out at our fundraising events graduated from Eng and then went into medicine. He is now a cardiologist helping poverty stricken people around the world.

If its what you want to do, go for it! :thumbsup:

sheik_yerbouti
06-06-2010, 09:13 PM
The former head of the UofC med school (circu 1998) did Eng as their undergrad. Just take as many MCAT prep courses as you can.

Vanish3d
06-17-2010, 07:10 PM
apparently engineers make good dentists. Maybe consider that... they make a killing.

I hear ya though, I'm a year away from P.Eng and thinking I Just want to get P.Eng as a backup then look for something else.

jefferson2
06-19-2010, 08:12 PM
really popular option nowadays.

Maybe not as long a wait as you (most just get the B.Eng and go straight for med), but there's at least 10 people I know of off the top of my head who are doing this/done this/been offered places for med.

Do it up, it gives you a uniqueness that med schools really want nowadays.

Book smart only doesn't cut it anymore.

msommers
06-20-2010, 09:22 PM
As xray mentioned, take chem and bio if you're missing them as quite a few universities require them for entrance; not all but most.

Volunteering, from friends going into and in med, isn't as easy as you'd think. Apparently it takes a lot of persistence and connections to actually get this as volunteering is sounding like it's almost required if you want to be at all competitive.

Anyone can take the MCAT and there is no specific degree required to enter into medicine.

Pacman
06-20-2010, 09:44 PM
For what it's worth, I know at least 15 docs that practice in the Calgary area that wear an engineering ring.

Also, my wife is a P.Eng and just finished writing level 2 of the CFA. She's still frustrated and hates her job.

riceeater
07-07-2010, 10:36 AM
dentist and anesthesiologist.... wow dude, great choices to definitely consider when deciding whether or not to ruin your current carreer

go into business if you want a bigger challenge:whipped: ;)