PDA

View Full Version : Review: Tu Tierra

pinoyhero
06-06-2010, 07:36 PM
The second coming of the narrowly known but loved Mi Tierra in Oakridge. This one's in Fairview. Same owners, same family owned atmosphere but with food poisoning.

Food - 2/5 - Used to love mi tierra and this place too but after our last experience we're done with the joint. Free nachos are now generic chips out of a bag with extra table salt on them. Food is now fairly bland and came out luke warm. Margaritas were pretty B as well, blended which I don't like to begin with and not even well blended at that. Tasted like a poor man's slurpee with a shot of Cuervo. To top it all off wifey good got poisoning.

Ambiance - 3/5 - Charming family owned feel of oakridge was duplicated on a large scale but this time it just feels cheap. Basically they cut corners on the finishing and its just unappealing.

Service - 2/5 - He tried but the poor owner was run off his feet as they were understaffed, again felt like more corner cutting.

Value - 2/5 - 2 margs, 2 entres and 1 $3.50 appi came in at $55 with tip. Decent I guess but considering the quality this wasn't a good value in my books. Oh yeah and for desert ... food poisoning.

Sorry Tu Tierra but you're expansion's a flop. Clean it up before both joints suffer, you've lost 2 customers already.

core_upt
06-07-2010, 10:14 AM
interesting... I ate there about 3 weeks ago and loved it. It was a saturday afternoon, service was great, food was delicious, atmosphere is meh, but I would have gone back. Sounds like they can Jekyll and Hyde depending on the day... sorry you got the crap end of it

nonlinear
06-07-2010, 10:19 AM
really? we go all the time and think it's fucking awesome. actually, IMO this is the BEST mexican in western canada, and i've tried them all (or most of them, anyhow ahahah).

the prices are a couple bucks higher, but the food items are also a LOT bigger at the new location. and if you think the finishing work at the first location is better than the finishing at the new location, then you're crazy. ;)

here's my review from the day the new location opened. nothing has changed, except that they have a liquor license now, and a wider variety of Jarritos.

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&postid=3236846&#post3236846

Originally posted by nonlinear
we just got back from dinner at the new location, Tu Tierra, at 8316 Fairmount Drive Southeast. They just opened this afternoon (!!!) and we were thoroughly satisfied, as always! The restaurant was quite busy, especially considering they don't yet have a light on their sign outside and haven't announced their opening to the public. (in fact, i think the notes on chowhond are the only 'public' announcement of today's opening). I'm really happy they were doing so well even on their first night. I love this place and really, really want this to work for these folks. :)

This new space is a vast improvement over the original location (which is still in operation), both in terms of location and size; Mi Tierra is growing into its skin very well). The space is much larger than the original location - about 4 or 5 times the size (?) - and has probably about 20 tables or so. The old China City space underwent quite a renovation. The wall that previously separated the dining room and the lounge has been removed, resulting in two separate but unified rooms. The room in the back has a small bar with cash register, and is quite a bit larger than the first room. This provides a bit more elbow room than in the first room, where some of the tables are packed just a bit tight. I think i'll sit in the back room on future visits.

As I mentioned before, this space is a vast improvement over the previous location. It's quite apparent that more time and money has been spent on the renovations. The walls are painted with the same sort of mexican theme as the original location.. the floors are covered in thick tiles which give a nice, solid feel underfoot. The tables and chairs are much sturdier than at the first location, which is nice... sometimes I thought i might break those tables and chairs heheh.

The food is the same awesome fare we've come to expect from these folks, although the menu is a bit larger. There are more burritos, some more tacos, a new desserts section, etc. I noticed that the prices had risen a bit on each entree, however I was amazed at the size of our meals... MUCH larger than at the previous location. The new plates are large ovals, and the food portions have been adjusted to fill the space. (i'm guessing that's why the prices have gone up a bit, too). So all in all, Tu Tierra is STILL excellent value for the money... quite refreshing in the otherwise overpriced food scene of calgary.

I had the tacos al pastor - delicious as always. The tortillas that come with the tacos are now fried (as opposed to being steamed), and the amount of taco filling has increased by about 30% or so. They no longer have bottles of El Yucateco on the tables. I'm not sure if this is because they are just opening, or because this is more of a 'restaurant," but I soon realized it didn't really matter because my plate of tacos included a little dish of AWESOME spicy salsa (like a runny sauce, not a pico de gallo-type) which I assume was made in-house. However, I did miss the green tomatillo salsa that was formerly served with the tacos. Might have to ask for a side of this next time.

My friend had a chile verde burrito (steak cubes inside), and that thing was GIANT! I had a taste and it was good as ever. Tu Tierra has a damn good salsa verde!

all the usual characters were working... :) hector back in the kitchen, working his magic, and the very friendly waiter lady who i think is his sister-in-law (don't know her name, though). They actually remembered us from the previous location and gave us a very warm welcome... So excited that they have moved into the neighborhood!

Didn't get a chance to check the hours, but it would be great if they were open a bit later than the original location, say 9 or 10.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

20incheyes
06-09-2010, 04:09 PM
I had Tu Tierra a couple weeks ago and enjoyed the food. Your bad experience is brutal. Besides the slow service (Yes i've had it here too) I hope not to have a similar experience to yours on my next visit.

Nissanaddict
07-18-2010, 08:17 PM
I had some Tu Tierra on Friday. Still a big fan. I wasn't dinner hungry, but I could use a snack, so I grabbed a chicken tostada and a margarita. All for under $12, and it was excellent. Will continue going.

Unknown303
07-18-2010, 08:47 PM
I'm all about the Taco Bell Cantina near Sunridge on Tuesdays.

nonlinear
07-18-2010, 09:06 PM
what is the Taco Bell Cantina?

Unknown303
07-18-2010, 09:49 PM
Next to the CIBC. and on the north side of the street from Chapters and Cineplex. It may be a Taco time.. Now I can't remember.

Yeah it's a Taco Time Cantina. I like 1 dollar tacos and beer really can't go wrong..

malcolmk14
07-19-2010, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Unknown303
Next to the CIBC. and on the north side of the street from Chapters and Cineplex. It may be a Taco time.. Now I can't remember.

Yeah it's a Taco Time Cantina. I like 1 dollar tacos and beer really can't go wrong..

It's closed.

Nissanaddict
07-20-2010, 09:51 PM
I'll take my $3.50 tacos that are way better than anything Tacotime can ever dream of.