PDA

View Full Version : WTB: USB / Serial Converter

Mr.Buffy
12-14-2003, 01:07 AM
I'm thinking of buying a USB to Serial Converter.
I need it for my HYSYS Simulation software for my laptop.

Memory Express has them for like $50.00, but I don't see myself using it after this winter semester.

Just seeing if anyone has one that they aren't using and want to get rid of.

Thanks

Davetronz
12-14-2003, 02:01 AM
Keep in mind that a USB to Serial conversion will only work 25% of the time if that....
I will let you know if I know anyone letting one go.

Keekee
12-14-2003, 02:28 AM
I don't know if the sait campus comuter store is still open but they sell them for 35

Mr.Buffy
12-14-2003, 11:45 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Well, the reason I need it is because the simulation program needs an actual physical key, and the key connects through serial.

But, with the higher price and the converter not 100%, I might hold off. Can't justify the cost.

Will also check out the SAIT computer store.

Thanks!

hampstor
12-15-2003, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by Mr.Buffy
Thanks for the replies.

Well, the reason I need it is because the simulation program needs an actual physical key, and the key connects through serial.

But, with the higher price and the converter not 100%, I might hold off. Can't justify the cost.

Will also check out the SAIT computer store.

Thanks!

Those keys do not work very well on the usb->serial adapters (sometimes they might work...). You might have to end up buying a serial card to put in your machine. The software you are using may be looking on the usb ports for the key which is why the adapter rarely works.

Mikaldor
12-15-2003, 12:59 PM
I have a USB to serial adapter that I am not using any more. I can ask one of the guys in the office here to see if it will work on the HYSYS key. I'm pretty sure that it does since we have been transitioning to laptops for the last year.

Mr.Buffy
12-15-2003, 05:52 PM
Alright, thanks

It'd be easier for next semester and for doing some work over Christmas. I'd rather not go up to the University to work on HYSYS and on the crappy computers. After this semester, it'd be nice to have HYSYS on a laptop too.

Let me know if the HYSYS key will work okay, thanks again