PDA

View Full Version : Boat Insurance/ Trailer Insurance

2BLUE
06-07-2010, 11:10 AM
Does anyone know who sells boat and trailer insurance in alberta? Everyone i have called so far doesn't carry it.

Does the boat itself insured to be on the water?

I should note its for a 340 hp seadoo

rookie101
06-07-2010, 12:49 PM
Give your broker a call. They should have no problem finding you insurance as there are a number of companies that will cover boats. Being a Sea-Doo though be sure to specify that it is a boat, and not a PWC. I had that problem when I first called to insure my Utopia. For some reason a lot of companies shy away from PWC coverage.

I'm using Bishop Morrow with Intact being the carrier. My buddy uses Young and Haggis (sp) and I believe his carrier is Wawanesa. By the way I have my boat insured for twenty five thousand and my buddy is covered for fifty and we pay 359 and 700 respectively.

As for the legality of needing insurance, I believe you need liability to operate the boat, but do not need to cover the trailer as the tow vehicle coverage extends to it when you are towing. I'm fairly certain on that, but not a hundred percent, so take that with a grain of salt. I know personally there is now way I would take a boat out without proper coverage, just too many things that could go wrong.

redline
06-07-2010, 12:52 PM
For my RV trailer i use Intact.

2BLUE
06-07-2010, 01:36 PM
This is were it gets confusing...

I only own a car right at the moment.

I want a friend of mine to tow my boat to the lake this weekend.

I want the boat trailer to be in my name but if your trailer insurance has something to do with the tow vehicles insurance how can i do this?

This is a seadoo rxpx which has 255hp stock so maybe i wont tell them about the mods :dunno:

spikerS
06-07-2010, 01:49 PM
the trailer and boat can be registered to you.

however, PLPD is automatically extended to your trailer and boat from the tow vehicle.

'93 SR-V
06-07-2010, 02:04 PM
The insurance of the tow vehicle extends to the trailer/ boat being towed (you don't need separate insurance on the boat/ trailer to legally tow it, just need to have a trailer plate). If you got in an accident towing the trailer I *think* the tow vehicles insurance would only cover the added liability associated with the trailer/boat, not the actual replacement value of them.

As for insuring the boat/trailer I insure my sea-doo and trailer though my house insurance (TD/Monex), so maybe look into that.

I believe that you don't need insurance to operate a boat, I seem to recall that there is a $250 000 cap on liability on recreational boats. Just keep in mind that if anything went wrong you could be on the hook for that. You might want to look online for the boating guide to double check that though.

Masked Bandit
06-07-2010, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by 2BLUE
Does anyone know who sells boat and trailer insurance in alberta? Everyone i have called so far doesn't carry it.

Does the boat itself insured to be on the water?

I should note its for a 340 hp seadoo

I'm assuming you've talked to whomever writes your auto insurance? That would be the most logical spot.

2BLUE
06-07-2010, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit

I'm assuming you've talked to whomever writes your auto insurance? That would be the most logical spot.

I went through CDI Insurance myself no broker.

CDI doesn't cover trailers, boats etc.

If i get a trailer registered it would be in my buddies name or mine? Because he's towing it not me.

Masked Bandit
06-07-2010, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by 2BLUE

I went through CDI Insurance myself no broker.

CDI doesn't cover trailers, boats etc.

If i get a trailer registered it would be in my buddies name or mine? Because he's towing it not me.

Insurance must match the ownership. It's YOUR boat & trailer, YOU must register & insure the rig.

20incheyes
06-07-2010, 09:52 PM
I didn't have the time to read each post in detail but put the trailer in your name, whoever tows it has insurance for it. You don't need insurance on the boat while on the water. Lastly you can get over $250G coverage unlike someone said before, I had a policy with 1 mil.
Make sure your boat is locked up to the tow car... very important.

2BLUE
06-08-2010, 01:49 AM
My buddies truck is insured with ICBC because he lives there and works here a few months of the year.

So i get the registration in my name with alberta plates...but the truck is insured with ICBC im just double checking if thats legal. ICBC policy is for the vehicle on your reggy papers and mentions nothing about towing...So i called ICBC and they say NO trailers need their own insurance.

Called the reggy office here and they didn't know.

Called RCMP and they didn't know

:nut:

Masked Bandit
06-08-2010, 07:05 AM
A trailer does not have to be insured. Think of it as cargo in the back of a pick-up truck. If a box of junk flies out of a truck, it's the liability of the truck insurance that pays. A trailer (boat, utility, rv or otherwise) is exactly the same. Because a trailer can't go down the road by itself liability coverage extends from the tow vehicle even if the tow vehicle and trailer are owned by two different people.

bookem
06-08-2010, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by '93 SR-V
As for insuring the boat/trailer I insure my sea-doo and trailer though my house insurance (TD/Monex), so maybe look into that.

This.

My boat is insured through my house insurance with Wawanesa.

masoncgy
06-08-2010, 04:03 PM
Your insurance for the vessel itself (and the trailer if you so wish) is a special rider purchased through your house insurance.

The trailer does not need insurance to be registered, just a bill of sale showing you own it is required to plate it, and it's a permanent tag, you pay around $100 and the plate & tag is good for life.

As mentioned, the liability insurance of the tow vehicle extends to cover the trailer.

masoncgy
06-08-2010, 04:13 PM
ICBC has the same policy as in Alberta in terms of registration & insurance requirements for trailers... the only difference is the plate tag expires every year and costs about $25 to renew.

Insurance extends from the tow vehicle...

...and yes, it is legal to tow an Alberta registered trailer with a BC insured tow vehicle. Coverage applies the same.

spikerS
06-08-2010, 04:24 PM
since this thread is so confusing, i will try and clear it up.

any trailer and contents of a trailer can belong to anyone, and be towed by a vehicle belonging to someone else. While the trailer and contents of the trailer are in tow, the tow vehicle's PLPD coverage extends to the trailer and contents.

However, if something happens, and you want your trailer and contents to have full coverage (like cars and trucks do), you actually insure them through your house insurance. Just like when you take your boat on the water, it is insured through your home owners policy.