PDA

View Full Version : Poll - 2005 mid level sports sedan?

Axe
06-07-2010, 12:57 PM
2005: All with manual transmission:
1. Audi 1.8T quattro
2. Subaru Legacy GT
3. Nissan Maxima SE
4. Acura TSX

Investigating a small sport sedan and appreciate feedback/thoughts. Worried about bmw reliability/maintenance (although Audi could be the same)...

Thanks all!

heavyD
06-07-2010, 01:03 PM
Audi A4 Quattro would be best but in 2.0T not 1.8T. If that's too much money I would probably go for the Legacy GT, TSX, Maxima in that order.

BlkMaxima
06-07-2010, 01:05 PM
I vote for the Legacy. Fun car to drive, decent handling, awd.

TSX = Underpowered
Maxima = Boring to drive... Stock anyways.
Audi = Overpriced maintenance

911fever
06-07-2010, 01:05 PM
Maxima will be most reliable besides Legacy GT, the TSX sucks and the Audi is unreliable and not worth the price

Twin_Cam_Turbo
06-07-2010, 01:06 PM
I found the Maximas pretty fun to drive personally.

heavyD
06-07-2010, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by 911fever
Maxima will be most reliable besides Legacy GT, the TSX sucks and the Audi is unreliable and not worth the price

Audi's aren't that bad at all. My brother has been rolling a 2007 A3 Quattro S-Line since new and hasn't had a single issue and Nissan's aren't exactly known for their stellar reliability and nowhere near as reliable as the TSX.

911fever
06-07-2010, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

Audi's aren't that bad at all. My brother has been rolling a 2007 A3 Quattro S-Line since new and hasn't had a single issue and Nissan's aren't exactly known for their stellar reliability and nowhere near as reliable as the TSX.

The A3 is a small, less features car compared to the A4 (once you load it up) and Audi reliability has always below subpar according to Consumer Reports and JD Powers. The TSX will be reliable but its a garbage car, and the Maxima is really reliable (our family has owned 3 without any issues), it's a great car.

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/2004-to-2008-acura-tsx-2.htm
http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/2000-to-2004-nissan-maxima.htm

the Maxima and TSX are very similar here on recalls/reliability. I'd prefer the Maxima anyday over the TSX.

Axe
06-07-2010, 02:45 PM
Great feedback - thanks everyone! surprised at the TSX getting slammed and has helped the audi reliability issue as wel. Feel free to keep posting. Given the comments I'm leaning towards the legacty gt; was hoping the tsx might be a good second but it's getting slammed...

Tomaz
06-07-2010, 03:28 PM
Legacy and Maxima get my vote! :)

Personal preference....

colinxx235
06-07-2010, 03:30 PM
Audi ftw

MGCM
Subaru Legacy GT, bar none.

911fever
Originally posted by Axe
Great feedback - thanks everyone! surprised at the TSX getting slammed and has helped the audi reliability issue as wel. Feel free to keep posting. Given the comments I'm leaning towards the legacty gt; was hoping the tsx might be a good second but it's getting slammed...

don't just believe what I'm saying, go drive them all. The Legacy and Maxima are clearly better than the rest. The interior of the Audi is pretty good though, better than the rest

beyond_ban
06-07-2010, 03:32 PM
I would have to go with the Legacy. It is a great all around vehicle with enough power to have some fun.

punky
06-07-2010, 03:47 PM
I vote maxima, because I never really found the need for AWD and i really like the comfort and built of the new maxima, plus the interior is better than the legacy.

Tomaz
06-07-2010, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by punky
I vote maxima, because I never really found the need for AWD and i really like the comfort and built of the new maxima, plus the interior is better than the legacy.

He did specify 2005...

03ozwhip
06-07-2010, 03:54 PM
out of those, legacy. thinking outside the box, 06 mazdaspeed 6. just sayin' something to think about.

freshprince1
06-07-2010, 04:07 PM
You will get exactly what you're looking for with the Maxima. Speed, Power, Comfort, Reliability. Legacy as well. Neither of these will give you any surprises. The others, while possibly more luxurious might have more appeal but you'll end up with unexpected reliability issues and high costs to fix them. note though that the 2005 Maxima is a larger car than the other's youve listed. A comparable Nissan car to the Legacy would be the Altima. All that said, I voted Subaru, AWD is a deal breaker for me if you're comparing the two.

Axe
06-07-2010, 04:13 PM
Thanks for the candid comments - hadn't considered the Mazdaspeed6, so thanks for bringing that up.

poll is trending heavily towards the legacy gt or maxima, which helps - understand those are probably two very different cars from a vehicle dynamics/driving sense.

looks like the challenge will be finding one with a MT, but that's a deal breaker for me.

Mitsu3000gt
06-07-2010, 04:15 PM
I've driven all the cars on your list.

The A4 is a step above the other cars but probably won't be as fun to drive. The 2.0T would be a better choice if you can afford it. Anyone saying Audi's are significantly worse than other luxury brands for reliability doesn't know what they are talking about. You can also ignore those JD power ratings as it is my understanding they don't take into account the severity of the "problems per 100 cars" or whatever it is they go by (i.e. Car A has 2 burnt out tail lights, and is therefore less reliable than car B which has a single blown engine). Buy a good sample, take care if it, and it will take care of you.

The LGT is probably the most fun to drive of the bunch though, and an 05' could be had at a great price I'm sure. AWD is a bonus (same with Audi).

The TSX is one of the least exciting cars on the planet IMO. Not sure how it appeals to anyone. It has very little torque, and max HP is at 7000 RPM or so.

The Maxima is a big FWD car with lots of power, not a very good combo if you're looking for something sporty, but a good daily driver nonetheless.

YMMV of course. Also go drive them all, in the end it doesn't matter what we say =).

Also consider a G35, they should be in your budget.

94boosted
06-07-2010, 04:16 PM
Legacy GT for sure. Quickest car of the bunch and Subaru's AWD system is :love: Was there a Legacy GT Spec B back in 05?

Chandler_Racing
06-07-2010, 04:19 PM
TSX has reliability and resale value on it's side.

With that said, I would probably place the Audi infront of the Acura assuming the cost is the same.

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
The TSX is one of the least exciting cars on the planet IMO. Not sure how it appeals to anyone.
[/B]

Axe
06-07-2010, 06:43 PM
So it looks like the TSX is out - thanks very much for the feedback. I'll have a look at the G35 as well based on the comments and as suggested, will go drive them (fight after i sell my current ride)..

psycoticclown
06-07-2010, 06:51 PM
LGT Spec B :D

Worth the little price increase for the 6 speed. And the red interior :P

I'm biased though haha, PM me if you got any questions about the car.

Axe
06-07-2010, 07:10 PM
Love the Spc B - hard to find however; something to keep in the back of my mind i guess. I will definitely look for more advice around the LGT once I sell the current and start looking in earnest.

psycoticclown
06-07-2010, 07:15 PM
It has tons of aftermarket support too. It has an EJ257 engine, same one as the STI so you know it can handle a lot of power. Going stage 2 is just a downpipe and tune away and one of the best Subaru tuners, Airboy, lives in Calgary. Stage 2 probably cost you $300-$700 depending on which downpipe you go and it'll easily bring you up to 240 or 250 whp.

Xtrema
06-07-2010, 09:11 PM
Legacy GT and A4 2.0T get my vote in that order.

Maxima is a BIG car and FWD. And it's interior sux.

duaner
06-07-2010, 09:23 PM
Obviously you'll have to test drive them to figure it out.

The Maxima is a big car, no doubt. But the Legacy is not meant for tall people. A brother-in-law has one and he hates the fit up front and he's about 6'1" or 6'2". I had to drive it to the airport to pick him up and at 6'4", there is no way I would ever buy one after that. I would think the A4 would be a bit on the small side as well.

Modding is likely much cheaper on a TSX or Legacy and I'd take AWD ftw, including an A6.

psycoticclown
06-07-2010, 09:45 PM
How high are the seats raised? My 2 front seats are sitting at the lowest and all my tall friends have never had a problem with head room. Plus the sunroof gives them an extra 2 inches of clearance. I've driven friends that are 6'4" on a regular basis and they've never complained about it haha.

asp integra
06-07-2010, 11:02 PM
audi ftw, all you need to do is chip the 1.8t and its super quick and alot of fun! not to mention quattro awd for winter is amazing and gives you alot of control all year long

Axe
06-09-2010, 08:55 PM
Heard about, but not explored "chipping" the 1.8T VW /audi engine. I think stock engine makes 170-180hp depending on the year.. how much does chipping the engine take that to and for what cost? - Do you have to replace any engine internals or other "hardware"?

core_upt
06-10-2010, 08:35 AM
How about the Infiniti G35 or Acura TL? Both are quick, comfy, roomy and perform really well. The TL is still one of the nicer cars on the road, and IMO, one of the nicest sedans ever built (current gen very much excluded :barf: )
http://image.importtuner.com/f/type-s09/7779560+w450+h338+cr0+re1+ar1/2005-acura-tl-1.jpg

Aleks
06-10-2010, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by Axe
2005: All with manual transmission:
1. Audi 1.8T quattro
2. Subaru Legacy GT
3. Nissan Maxima SE
4. Acura TSX

Investigating a small sport sedan and appreciate feedback/thoughts. Worried about bmw reliability/maintenance (although Audi could be the same)...

Thanks all!

Out of this list the Subaru Legacy GT would be my choice as well. TSX is a very nice car and matched to a manual it's much more fun than the auto but still it's not a very quick car if that's what you're after.

If you're worried about BMW reliability you could always go for a certified pre owned one. They come with extra warranty and BMW offers best rates out there for used cars.
As much as they get slammed for being too common and driven by dbags they are excellent sport sedans.

bjstare
06-10-2010, 10:24 AM
http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-2005-Subaru-Legacy-GT-Turbo-Sedan-W0QQAdIdZ204698590

:closed:

Axe
06-10-2010, 02:57 PM
Thought about the newr gen TL's except they didn't start making the "SH" version until 2007 with the manual transmission (unless I'm mistaken here), and that's a little beyond my budget.

Thanks for the link to the LGT - prefer non-modded car also for budget reasons.