PDA

View Full Version : Road Trip to the East Coast - where to stop?

Sykes
06-07-2010, 01:48 PM
My wife and I are thinking of doing a summer roadtrip to the east coast (before our baby comes). Are there any suggestions what what we should see and do along the way?

Phenix
06-07-2010, 01:50 PM
drive S.A.S.K at night or in the dark. the drive is so annoyingly boring.

chathamf
06-07-2010, 05:20 PM
If you want to put in a real long first day you can get through Sask and Manitoba and to Kenora, Ontario on day 1. It is really nice there and you may want to spend a few days there.

Then it will take you two days of driving to get to southern Ontario. Not sure if you want to spend anytime there or not, but there are tons of things to do and see all really close to each other.

Then you may want to stay in Montreal on the way though. After Montreal you can get to the east coast really quickly.

You could hit up New Brunswick first and then make your way to Prince Edward Island. Then you can take the ferry over to Nova Scotia.

I am from Nova Scotia, so I know the province and PEI very well. I can`t give many recommendations for NB though. PEI is really nice and you can get anywhere on the island within a few hours. You should check out Summerside, Cavendish and Charlottetown for sure.

For Nova Scotia, you need to spend some time in Halifax, and maybe Annapolis Valley is really nice as well. I also think you should check out Cape Breton (I grew up there). Beautiful beaches, and lots of stuff to see and do. Go around the Cabot Trail, eat some local lobster and other seafood and enjoy the local music scene.

I drove across Canada last summer - if you need any info or recommendations let me know.

SRT
06-08-2010, 09:13 AM
Yeah, drive to Toronto, park car at Billy Bishop airport, fly Porter to Halifax (Around $150 return and they treat you like a King), rent car and drive the Cabot trail.

Or just fly there directly from where you are.

HondaKid
06-08-2010, 10:16 AM
The OP is in "The Wheat City", so for you Jugheads out there, the city is in a province which starts with the letter "M". And no Maine is not a province. So, all the advice on skipping Saskatchewan is pointless.

chathamf
06-08-2010, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by HondaKid
The OP is in "The Wheat City", so for you Jugheads out there, the city is in a province which starts with the letter "M". And no Maine is not a province. So, all the advice on skipping Saskatchewan is pointless.

Thanks for your wonderful input HondaKid, you are the man.