PDA

View Full Version : Calgary Indoor Dog Park

boobercal
06-07-2010, 06:21 PM
Hey all... I am planning on opening an indoor dog park in Calgary and would like your input/feedback.

Do you feel that there is a need for this ?
( Because here, it gets as cold as -40, raining, snowing, just plain shitty out ) So you probably don't want to stand outside, but Rover needs to run still.

How much would you be willing to pay for this facility? Daily, weekly, monthly, yearly?

Would you use it as day care as well if that was offered??

Thanks in advance for your input !!!!

BlkMaxima
06-07-2010, 06:26 PM
I think that would depend on what the facility looked like?
Water, Grass, trees? Or Concrete and what not?

Either way. I can't see myself paying over $5 per dog per trip...

swak
06-07-2010, 06:42 PM
I would definitely not pay for a place to bring my dog for a walk/run.

Sidewalks/public parks are free.

BlackArcher101
06-07-2010, 06:47 PM
Would a place like this be filled with woman driving land rovers and their chihuahuas?

psycoticclown
06-07-2010, 06:53 PM
Only if it's like the dog park from Entourage.

msommers
06-07-2010, 06:55 PM
I like the creative thinking.

My only concern would be, if people are too lazy to walk their dog from their house, what motivation would there be to get the dog in the car to drive somewhere for a walk?

I could see a dog daycare as the main feature, not necessarily the park.

My .02

v2kai
06-07-2010, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by swak
I would definitely not pay for a place to bring my dog for a walk/run.

Sidewalks/public parks are free.

this same logic always makes me wonder why people pay to run on treadmills in a gym...:dunno:

on the topic of the indoor dog park, same sentiments as swak why pay when public parks are free? unless you offer free dog shit clean up services for the entry fee then maybe the owners who hate picking up their dog crap will use it for that service....or they'll just let their dog shit in a public park and walk away like they do anyway:whipped:

speedog
06-07-2010, 07:27 PM
Places in the same sort of biz already...

Hounds Lounge (http://www.houndslounge.ca/)

Dogsville (http://www.dogsville.net/index.html)

Ruff House Play Care for Dogs (http://www.ruffhouseplaycare.ca/)

syritis
06-07-2010, 09:45 PM
so your want to create a building just to fill it up with dog shit and ask people to pay just to come in?

lelalong
06-07-2010, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by boobercal
Hey all... I am planning on opening an indoor dog park in Calgary and would like your input/feedback.

Do you feel that there is a need for this ?
( Because here, it gets as cold as -40, raining, snowing, just plain shitty out ) So you probably don't want to stand outside, but Rover needs to run still.

How much would you be willing to pay for this facility? Daily, weekly, monthly, yearly?

Would you use it as day care as well if that was offered??

Thanks in advance for your input !!!!

I think its a good idea especially when its too cold or rainy out. Would you ask for proof of immunizations? Obstacles? Astroturf? Cleanup crew in case people don't pick up after their dogs?

If this is the sole purpose of the business then it might not do well. If its a doggy daycare as well, then the big play area would be a big selling feature.

Where would you locate it?

boobercal
06-07-2010, 10:40 PM
The facility itself would include an Astroturf type material, basically, its synthetic grass. One side of the building is a giant dog run area... huge, all grass, so dogs can really get in the run they need. The other half of the building is the feeding/sleeping/toys area if you're in for day care.

All these dogs can mingle together at anytime. ( I do not believe they should be separated as most Calgary locations do ) Day care (6am to 6 pm) is by reservation but "drop in runs" are avail from 6am to 10pm.

To those who wonder if the shit pick up is included: For sure !! You are still responsible for your dogs behaviour, but ya, I'll clean up the shit if you're paying the fee.

To those who think you can do the same on the sidewalk/park :
Do you seriously want to bundle yourself up and stand/walk in the -30/40 degree weather we can have in our winters? Does your dog even enjoy that when their paws are freezing so they do that funny switching paw dance. And if it's pissing rain? You can't tell me you love being out there in that weather. Neither does Spot.

I have researched a lot of facilities in Calgary and frankly - there is nothing like what I am thinking. There are lots of places that do daycare/boarding/grooming - but that isn't what I'm going for.

My idea is that you would pay a flat fee for day care monthly, and a monthly or yearly fee for drop in.

To those that are concerned with people not driving to the park - you would be surprised. I, and many other dog owners, would drive about 15 - 20 minutes away to get to a park if it meant that I was dry and warm and my dog was happy and tired.

I would ask for vet records, and your dog must be spayed/neutered and be up to date of course.

As my idea pans out, no I will not have boarding and grooming, but if this grows as I hope it will then of course, I would begin those services :)

Lastly, I would like to locate it along the West LRT expansion. I have not decided where yet, but I know the train line will be very convenient for many people : )

I hope that clears things up, sorry for such a long post !! Thank you for your feedback !

Keep it coming !!

speedog
06-07-2010, 11:11 PM
Lease rates could be the killer for your biz unless you can find something older or warehouse type space out west - isn't anything on the west side that I'm aware of that offers what you're proposing. Good luck and if you get up and running, then PM as I'll put some of your biz cards up in my shop.

Xtrema
06-08-2010, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by syritis
so your want to create a building just to fill it up with dog shit and ask people to pay just to come in?

That's the 1st impression I get.

How do you clean piss and shit out of astroturf?

How big is this walking/play pen area will be? How are you going to heat it? Or is it just going to be shelter from the elements?

boobercal
06-08-2010, 09:26 AM
Xterma:

Underneath the synthetic grass is a drainage system where each night the grass is pressure washed and it all drains down and out in to our city's pipes. Much like your house toilet flushes. As for poop build up and the stuff I can't wash out - the actual "grass" will be replaced probably every six months, as it will get a bit funky, and just plain run down.

But, the size.... think of the floor plan of a Future Shop ( at the most ), or a Winners ( at least )... but not high ceilings. This is an actual enclosed building, in a strip mall, or plaza type idea.

If I could draw you a picture I would :~

BlkMaxima
06-08-2010, 09:31 AM
Your going to pressure wash a floor area the size of future shop or winners each night...

Good luck:nut:

CapnCrunch
06-08-2010, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by boobercal

1. All these dogs can mingle together at anytime. ( I do not believe they should be separated as most Calgary locations do )

2. To those who think you can do the same on the sidewalk/park :
Do you seriously want to bundle yourself up and stand/walk in the -30/40 degree weather we can have in our winters? Does your dog even enjoy that when their paws are freezing so they do that funny switching paw dance. And if it's pissing rain? You can't tell me you love being out there in that weather. Neither does Spot.

3. To those that are concerned with people not driving to the park - you would be surprised. I, and many other dog owners, would drive about 15 - 20 minutes away to get to a park if it meant that I was dry and warm and my dog was happy and tired.

4. I would ask for vet records, and your dog must be spayed/neutered and be up to date of course.

5. Lastly, I would like to locate it along the West LRT expansion. I have not decided where yet, but I know the train line will be very convenient for many people : )

1. Lot's of dogs just don't get along. Having a Rottweiler mingling with a yorkshire terrier seems like a bad idea.

2. Calgary is the sunniest place in Canada. We get maybe 2-4 weeks a year of really cold weather. And maybe another 2-4 weeks of rainy days. Are you going to be able to pay prime lease rates (for a huge facility I'm assuming) based off of people using your facility for maybe 2 months of the year? That area is prime, top dollar, commercial lease space.

3. My dog goes out my front door for a walk. You kid yourself, most people ARE lazy.

4. Having to dig up paperwork to take the dog for a walk is a PITA.

5. Uh, yeah, expensive rent/land/lease rates near a train.

sputnik
06-08-2010, 09:48 AM
That place is going to stink like hell after 2 days.

ExtraSlow
06-08-2010, 10:09 AM
Two items:
1) who's going to use this place during the warm weather? you'll be paying that lease all year. The economics sound tough.
2) Not sure if the city will allow you to send that stuff into the sewer if you are a commercial operation. You want to check into that early in your planning. This isn't the same as a private residence flushing a toilet, and I expect there will need to be permits and such for a system like this.

stealth1313
06-08-2010, 10:15 AM
Would you allow cats to be walked in this facinity too? Is there anywhere for it to drink? Mine gets thirsty alot

wrcftw
06-08-2010, 10:27 AM
Good creative thinking but generally...any place that requires you to hold a substantial amount of lease liability is bound to cause you HUGE cashflow problems. Like someone mentioned, the summer months are going to be soooooo slow. If this is something you are passionate about and have deep pockets then figure out a way to make it happen but if this is your idea to get rich and support your family I would suggest going back to the drawing board...you're going to run into cashflow problems.

Mitsu3000gt
06-08-2010, 10:32 AM
My guess is that it is going to stink a lot worse than expected.

Also, if the dogs at day care can run freely, what happens if the dogs don't get along?

It's a really good idea but seems like it would be too costly to run properly for what people would be willing to pay to use the facility.

sexualbanana
06-08-2010, 10:36 AM
I think your overhead and your start up costs are going to be astronomical.

zipdoa
06-08-2010, 10:41 AM
Yeah....I just walk my Malamute outside.. -40 or +30, I just make sure I dress accordingly (and if it's summer, I walk him early morning/evening).

This business plan is destined for failure... as wrcftw said: "back to the drawing board".

shawtie
06-08-2010, 11:25 AM
I think you should just stick to doggy daycare and boarding!

sheltieowner
01-10-2014, 09:09 PM
So all you diehard dog owners like going out "everyday" with your dog, in the rain, in the snow, with the mosquito's, with the bees/hornets/wasps? Or taking your dogs to the dog parks where you walk in some other dogs poop? Where there might be fleas? Lice? Ticks? Or whatever in the grass? Are you kidding me? I love my dogs and am very protective of my dogs, but I am also very aware of what they can pick up on the "TRAILS". My puppy spent 3 days in the emergency clinic after eating poison on a harmless walk on one of the bike paths.
So tell me an indoor park wouldn't be beneficial? I don't know how much I'd pay, but I sure do like the idea of not having to fight off hoards of mosquitos or ducking and dodging wasps, hornets and yellow jackets. Not to mention I don't have to watch everything my dog sniffs at to make sure it isn't poison again.
Just saying!!!!

The_Penguin
01-10-2014, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by sheltieowner

So tell me an indoor park wouldn't be beneficial? I don't know how much I'd pay, but I sure do like the idea of not having to fight off hoards of mosquitos or ducking and dodging wasps, hornets and yellow jackets.

As a dog owner, yes I'd love an indoor park. During rainy days where my dogs would get totally muddy at the park, or days when it's way too cold. Or when it's too dark when I get home from work.
But I agree with the other posts, as a business, don't see it working too well. You'd have to have more than just a park to make it work financially. Day care, grooming etc. I sure wouldn't want to try to make a go of it.

bignerd
01-10-2014, 09:58 PM
I bought a treadmill for the dogs and put it in my basement for -40 days...

No matter how large of a building it is, energy and dog dynamics change inside-smaller space, less natural distractions, more tension, limited space. There are enough asshole dogs and owners at the free outdoor parks that I would not pay for the privilege.

My dogs are not fixed, having to haul around copies of vaccinations and sign liability waivers? No thanks.

What I would pay for is somewhere where I could use agility equipment to train on or a dog swimming pool for exercise.

bulaian
01-10-2014, 10:08 PM
3.5 year old bump :hijack:

clem24
01-13-2014, 02:03 PM
So what ever became of this indoor poop park?

btimbit
01-13-2014, 02:41 PM
Most dogs I know LOVE playing in the snow

95EG6P
01-13-2014, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by btimbit
Most dogs I know LOVE playing in the snow

my dog does one lap then runs back home i guess he dont like the cold whether or snow

clem24
01-13-2014, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by 95EG6P

my dog does one lap then runs back home i guess he dont like the cold whether or snow

Haha yeah my schnauzer (in my avatar) is very efficient in the snow - goes and does the minimum OR she holds it in. My Airedale on the other hand... She'll come back in, eventually, when she can't feel her toes.

CompletelyNumb
01-13-2014, 04:17 PM
So all you diehard dog owners like going out "everyday" with your dog, in the rain, in the snow, with the mosquito's, with the bees/hornets/wasps? Or taking your dogs to the dog parks where you walk in some other dogs poop? Where there might be fleas? Lice? Ticks? Or whatever in the grass? Are you kidding me? I love my dogs and am very protective of my dogs, but I am also very aware of what they can pick up on the "TRAILS". My puppy spent 3 days in the emergency clinic after eating poison on a harmless walk on one of the bike paths.
So tell me an indoor park wouldn't be beneficial? I don't know how much I'd pay, but I sure do like the idea of not having to fight off hoards of mosquitos or ducking and dodging wasps, hornets and yellow jackets. Not to mention I don't have to watch everything my dog sniffs at to make sure it isn't poison again.
Just saying!!!!

:rolleyes:

People like you shouldn't have pets.

Feruk
01-13-2014, 05:32 PM
Just saying!!!!
Holy crap, a case of "old man yelling at the weather and bugs." You must really hate camping.

WTF is the point of an indoor dog park? When I had a dog, I walked him 3+ times a day in ANY weather condition every single day. Am I supposed to drive to this indoor dog park 3 times every day because it's cold outside? My dog would've shat himself in the car by the time we got there. What a terrible idea! We live in Alberta; if you can't deal with the weather (and bees for some reason), get a bird or some fish.

crez
02-08-2014, 11:10 AM
You'd be surprised how useful an indoor Park could be for many people. Some breeds are just not able to go out in the snow and for some of us who do take extremely good care of our pets and recognize the need it would be great.Ive recently been to an indoor meet and greet for dachshunds and to saythe 5 dollars I paid to cover the cost for a 2 hour visit was a waste is incredible. Id have paid more to have the opportunity. If youre dog doesnt get along with others ya dont bring them out. Pretty simple. Over 40 doxies went through there and did not hear one angry dog. Very cool idea for a small percentile but I think a city this size definitely has enough of a market for something new. And to boot the facility did NOT smell as you thought it would either

Adrenaline101
02-08-2014, 12:12 PM
This thread is so old even pedophiles aren't interested.

big A
02-08-2014, 12:20 PM
Looks like four years passed, someone changed his username and bumped a thread.

The biggest flaw I noticed in his foolproof plan was I would bet the city doesn't let him pressure wash the floors into the drain.

I would be curious for an honest update from the OP.

TYMSMNY
02-08-2014, 12:22 PM
^ no different than pets doing it outside or you flushing your toilet lol...

Indoor would be nice, just need a big empty warehouse with playground/toys. At warehouse rates right now, it be hard to run it year round without having a boarding facility as well.