PDA

View Full Version : Importing a bike from the states

JimmyBurner
06-08-2010, 12:41 PM
Tried searching it and googling it but nothing came up. Anyone know the process of importing a sport bike from the states?

Cos
06-08-2010, 12:47 PM
Go to search on here and change the timeline from 3 months to forever and search importing bike. It should come up.

On iPhone so can't find it for you right now. I think the discussion was about dirt bikes but same process applies.

BigShow
06-08-2010, 01:21 PM
The process is almost identical to importing a car, the RIV website contains info on bikes as a good starting point.

Graham_A_M
06-08-2010, 02:27 PM
^exact same process as a car. Minus the Daytime running light ordeal.

JimmyBurner
06-08-2010, 03:09 PM
Tried searching again but the only relevant thread was the one about importing bikes from japan. So it's the exact same as a car, has anyone done it? I would think it would be more popular sinse bikes are way cheaper in the states.

Graham_A_M
06-08-2010, 03:15 PM
I've brought cars over. Just follow the RIV guidelines to a T, and you'll be perfectly fine... seriously its really not hard at all. Just annoying since you first have the Federal inspection, then the Provincial inspection. With bikes, you may skip the Federal however... It should be in the RIV manual.

bjstare
06-08-2010, 03:36 PM
Depending on what province you're in. When I was in AB last time I brought a bike up, it needed a federal. With my last bike I brought into BC though, it didn't :dunno:

Edit:

Here's the thread that Cos was referring to. OP, you need to work on your searching skills, this took me about 7 seconds.

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/293902/bringing-a-dirt-bike-across-the-border/