PDA

View Full Version : BP and other leaking underwater wells good for Oilsands? I think so.

Darkane
06-08-2010, 03:54 PM
What do you guys think?

Seeing how unconventional means of oil is on the rise (I consider offshore one of them) I think more attention than ever will be on the oilsands.

I personally believe SAGD is the future, it's way easier on the envoronment and the newer plants have very high water Recycle rate.

Shit my plant is around 91-93% right now. I mean that's fantastic.

Is this good for Alberta? Thoughts?

I thought McMurray was bad in '08, we could be in a whole world of trouble in 5-10 years.

I can easily see 200,000 people by 2020. :nut: :nut:

Crymson
06-08-2010, 04:24 PM
Oh yeah, This is GREAT for alberta. IF anything was going to kick oil back over 100$ its shutting down gulf of mexico exploration and any possiblitly of future offshore exploration in north america.

And we've killed less birds now.

JfuckinC
06-08-2010, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by Crymson

:rofl:

I'm terrible for laughing at that

Darkane
06-08-2010, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Crymson
Oh yeah, This is GREAT for alberta. IF anything was going to kick oil back over 100$ its shutting down gulf of mexico exploration and any possiblitly of future offshore exploration in north america.

Interesting.

Are you thinking in terms of months or years?

Yeah this is a tragedy, and I'm sure Green peace and every other tree hugging hippy is having a field day.

Bottom line is Oil isn't going anywhere, not with China and India in their current situations.

So like I said before 5-10 years. Good for Alberta?

Phenix
06-08-2010, 05:34 PM
Well here comes another economic boom. hopefully I'll save some of the crazy money this time:)

broken_legs
06-08-2010, 06:26 PM
This is good news for Alberta.

Drilling for Shale Gas suspended in PA - Good for New Brunswick and Quebec shale gas.

At the same time i dont expect major changes overnight. The US is not going to stop all drilling... It's going to put them behind in the gulf for sure when some of the rigs leave, but they will be back eventually.

As soon as the relief well is drilled and everything is under control the media machine will start spinning a new story and everyone will forget. They'll be back to drilling in no time.

Seriously, when has the environment stopped the USA (or Canada for that matter) from doing anything?

I think the biggest affect for the oilsands will be when they build that pipeline to the west coast. Once that baby starts pumping we'll have China as our #2 customer.

nonlinear
06-08-2010, 06:58 PM
am I the only one who thought the "economic boom" sucked? you couldn't get decent service anywhere, Burger King on 16th Ave had to close at 3 pm because they didn't have any workers, the housing market became way way overinflated and tens of thousands of people got fucked buying houses at artificially high prices, the cost of living was pretty much twice what it was anywhere else in north america, etc. etc. etc.

personally, i think things are just becoming nice...

Hakkola
06-08-2010, 07:38 PM
Wasn't it just a few months ago th阿托Obama阿皮皮rovednew哦方法shore哦ilwells?

Hakkola
06-08-2010, 07:39 PM
Sorry股因素,每一computeris投入应to可illme。

nonlinear
06-08-2010, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola
Sorry股因素,每一computeris投入应to可illme。

hahhaah, WHAT?!?!?!??! :rofl:

Hakkola
06-08-2010, 07:46 PM
http://www.frederikhermann.com/uploads/pictures/economist_cover_oh_fuck_september_2008.gif

http://api.ning.com/files/iRX8Kxv12Ssy9OdyM2wjhIuWohm2diz-GWBxinahW6N8as6f0j5mPy26ysrAYcWnxQbW3aSxYq6TElXR2hiMuscKUI0hAKNH/help.jpg?crop=1%3A1&width=171

http://www.nic.me/images/logo-home.png

Hakkola
06-08-2010, 07:48 PM
May be fixed. Those 1223 numbers you quoted looked like caligraphy on my post.

Would have sucked if Ihad to communicate through google images. 

Yeah, not fixed. 

syritis
06-08-2010, 08:00 PM
mSujCHfvTb0

01RedDX
06-08-2010, 08:02 PM

Hakkola
06-08-2010, 08:08 PM
Igot this Asus laptop, and I' pretty sure it's senTIEnt.

I'm just having weird language issues on my laptop, it's团伙isdamn某色啪嗒in浩特密度大了。

01RedDX
06-08-2010, 08:20 PM

Darkane
06-08-2010, 08:25 PM
Basically north of McMurray is pretty much 'full' for massive new projects.

Kearl Lake I believe will be the newest new project for a while because, really, the roads aren't there. It's getting to far to commute employees to the town. Camps with fly in/out are to be implemented.

So really now that leaves SAGD south of McMurray. This could be a major Boom for Cold Lake, and I've heard Rumors of a big plant near Athabasca. If this is true it would change northern Alberta.

I mean the oilsands do run as south as Med. Hat, It's just so deep.

But SAGD plants in southern Alberta would be amazing. I'm excited about the possibilities.

01RedDX
06-08-2010, 08:34 PM

Darkane
06-08-2010, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX

Can you really envision SAGD operations as far south as Med Hat?
I would honestly consider a career change if that came to be, right now Ft Mac is just way too far to consider.

Realistically I can't really envision it.. But It's possible. I mean mining the tarsands is limited. Most of it is deep underground, I'm not a geologist I don't know exactly the percentage.

Obviously they'll keep it north for the pay zone. Gotta get the most economical deposits first.

Who knows in 30 years.

Feruk
06-09-2010, 08:41 AM
In the short term (next few months) the spill could have a positive effect for the oil sands, but a year out, I doubt much of an impact. Sure the USA and others will suspend offshore drilling for a limited time. Norway has already refused to issue some licenses until they find the cause of the blowout. However, as soon as the spill is contained, the cause discovered, it'll be back to regular business for everyone including bleeding heart environmentalists giving Fort Mac a hard time.

I also don't see the spill having much of an impact on oil price in the short term. We're still below $75/bbl and futures (as of today) don't see oil back above $80 this year.

rc2002
06-09-2010, 09:06 AM
OTTAWA — The unfolding ecological disaster off the Gulf of Mexico could damage the reputation of the entire oil industry model, without necessarily benefiting Alberta's oilsands sector, says Imperial Oil Ltd's president.

Speaking to a lunchtime business crowd in Ottawa Tuesday, Bruce March, the chairman, president and chief executive officer of Imperial Oil, said he could see "nothing good" coming out of the British Petroleum offshore drilling accident for the oilsands industry.

"There's been some media reporting that it could point a focus on more security in the oilsands," March said in response to a question from a U.S. embassy official. "I'm not so sure that's a big gain at all. I think there will undoubtedly be some questioning about how sustainable oil is in terms of the energy platform moving forward in the future and it will have major concerns for continuing ongoing deepwater development, both in the United States and Canada and I would say all across the world."

March compared the disaster to the 1989 Exxon Valdez shipping accident off the coast of Alaska, which resulted in millions of litres of oil spilling into the water and prompted major regulatory reforms. Exxon Mobil Corp., the world's largest publicly traded international oil and gas company, owns about 70 per cent of Imperial Oil.

"I wouldn't be a bit surprised, 20 years from now, that you see this (Gulf of Mexico) event also kind of spur new regulations and new ways that the industry operates," March told reporters after his speech.

But March said stakeholders in industry and government would be carefully studying the ongoing investigation into the accident to develop policies and a path forward. He explained that some options being debated, such as requiring the drilling of relief wells at the same time as the drilling of a private well could add substantial costs to operations. But he said there are a long list of factors that would determine whether it would be economical or not.

Meantime, March acknowledged in his speech that the world is shifting away from oil toward renewable forms of energy. But he said that Canada's oil reserves offered the only safe and most environmentally friendly source of energy to meet world demands over the next three decades.

"As these alternative energy sources are developed, they will gradually become more affordable," March said in a prepared speech. "But the transition to a more renewable energy base will likely take 30 or more years to develop. In the interim, hydrocarbon fuels are the only way to meet the demand I have described today in a manner that is reliable and affordable."

March said that the oilsands sector, a popular target of environmentalists and climate scientists, is an essential part of Canada's economic well-being, as well as a source of billions of dollars in tax revenues for governments.

Overall greenhouse gas emissions from the sector have more than tripled since 1990. Scientists believe that global emissions must peak over the next few years and then be dramatically reduced to avoid irreversible damage to the earth's ecosystems as well as significant impacts to the world's economy.

March did not mention climate change or global warming in his speech, but later explained his company is taking action because of the risks of rising greenhouse gas emissions.

"We're not experts in climactic science," he told reporters. "We're not good, and I don't know that anybody is good, at quantifying these risks . . . but we see enough to know that we should be participating at some of the actions around the world that are taken."

March also said that his company was working on new technologies to reduce energy and water consumption in its operations and reduce its overall environmental footprint.

"Our goal on land use is simple," he said. "After development is completed, we want no evidence that we were ever there."

He added that Imperial Oil would continue to improve "responsible development" of the oilsands in order to meet its expectations as well as those of stakeholders. For example, a new Kearl oilsands project, announced last year, would include cogeneration technology to produce electricity and steam at the same time, while reducing energy consumption and greenhouse gas emissions.

"Canadians should not have to choose between energy, security, economic well-being or a clean environment," he said. "It's not an either-or proposition. A healthy environment and a strong economy are very important, and all of us should expect and be satisfied with nothing less."

© Copyright (c) Canwest News Service

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/business/Imperial%20praises%20oilsands%20safe%20environmentally%20friendly/3127109/story.html#ixzz0qMv1HuNl