PDA

View Full Version : working on a cruiseship

snoop101
06-09-2010, 10:27 AM
Ok so in the past I had some people ask me how it is working on a ship.

I wrote out a message to one person and thought I might as well post since its pretty good info. This is all IMO and is based on Celebrity and Princes.

Pros (god there is so many)-

Good food - especially if you are an officer

ok pay - You get paid US cash in international waters. You dont have to claim it, unless you want to for some god damn reason.every position pays different.

Party daily-nightly - You have never had a good time until you party on a ship with hundreds of friends you see everyday. My first 6 month contract I drank from 10am-3am daily

Ports - depending on position you may get off in EVERY port. I got off in pretty much every port. You also go places that you would never goto normally

Land life stress free - Ok so this is a tricky one. So you have less stress from back home in regards to rent, government, law, etc. I dont know how to explain it, but pretty much the captian is the police/judge and he runs the ship. Sure you can talk to the head office, but you dont usually. You could care less if the Canadian government is raising the gst or the price of rent went up in Calgary.I think that makes sense.

Women - I would say 50% are women and half of those are single and horny. You can NOT though sleep with guests

Culture shock - This to me was a pro because im very European. You work with every single country in the world. Most are good, actually pretty much all are. The Indonesians used to cook at night and you could go eat their food for example. You gamble with filipinos one night and eat with a greek engineer the next night.

Housekeeper - You get your own housekeeper to clean and order you booze

Cons

Cabins - Depending on you position you may have to share a cabin with another person, but 98% time people are so awesome that its not a big deal. Though they are kinda small. My first ship I wasent an Officer and had to share with a Canadian. Be ready to walk into your cabin mate screwing a chick, it happens and not a big deal since everyone is pretty wide open. After that I was an Officer and got a nice big room to myself.

Booze - This can take over your life. You eat like a pig and drink all day and night. You drink heavily while you work. If you dont go to the gym you will get FAT. You also end up sleeping with women you probably wouldent want to (no comment)

Sea life - This is a huge thing for some and means nothing to others. You are away for an extended period of time. Most of the time hard to do banking or other home stuff. You deal with culture shock, sea sickness, and home sickness. If you are in a relationship it wont last. Get used to seeing gay people you work with be wide open about it at work. Its not like being on land.

future - this can be big too. Yes working on a cruise ship does look good on your resume, but some work is harder to translate over to a land job. A good example would be the cruise staff who look after the passangers. they play games with them, host party nights, and pretty much the image of the ship. This is hard to translate over to something on land.