PDA

View Full Version : HR advice or suggestions

outrageousrich
06-09-2010, 06:46 PM
These questions are broad but in general...

1. What is the most important points on a resume do you look for?

2. If a candidate applied for a position without a cover letter and just a resume, is that a deal breaker (professional position not a job like micki d's)?

3. Do HR reps get annoyed from random phone calls looking for an interview?

4. Do informational interviews help, if so, how does one get an informational interview...(every time I call they say just to "go on the website" and if I go into an office building they give me a business card with a general number)

Thanks in advance

Davetronz
06-10-2010, 06:20 PM
Short answers:

1). Resume tailored to the job/company you're applying for which addresses the required competencies and experience.
Spelling, spelling, spelling, for the love of god check your spelling and grammar.
Must be visually appealing and well organized into sections. I don't want to search through 3 pages of mindless banter to find what I want to know.

2). It's not a "deal-breaker" but it doesn't earn you any bonus points. If you can't take the initiative to make me a basic cover letter, why should I take the initiative to interview you? If the guy applying next to you has a nice cover letter and has shown some effort, he's getting first dibs.

3). Yes. I'll call a candidate when I'm ready and will only interview those who meet the requirements of the position. I'll also contact you for a second interview, rejection or follow-up when I'm ready. Aside from general questions about the position, or returning my missed call, there's no use calling just to check in or ask for an interview.

4). No, not really unless I'm actively looking to "network" or for "future prospects".