PDA

View Full Version : Question

3G
12-14-2003, 04:58 PM
Do you guys think goverments are justified in restricting or limiting the rights and freedoms of its citizens? in what situations of so?

Just want to know what everyone thinks of it

DUBBED
12-14-2003, 05:18 PM
I think someone's rights should only be restricted when it has the potential of harming another or interfering with someone else's rights. So basically as long as what you do or say doesn't kill or offend anyone else, by all means go ahead and do it.

EK 2.0
12-14-2003, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by DUBBED
I think someone's rights should only be restricted when it has the potential of harming another or interfering with someone else's rights. So basically as long as what you do or say doesn't kill or offend anyone else, by all means go ahead and do it.

Exactly what I wanted to say...

Weasel
12-14-2003, 05:58 PM
I'd almost agree with you but citizens must have the right to offend certain people at certain times since not everyone will ever totally agree on a subject and some people will always take offense. As long as you can't harm anyone or offend a group based on a racist/sexist/etc comment governmnet should not restrict any other rights.

hjr
12-14-2003, 08:37 PM
My rights end where yours start.

IE. My right to swing my fist ENDS when it touches your nose...

accordboi_02
12-14-2003, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by hjr
My rights end where yours start.

IE. My right to swing my fist ENDS when it touches your nose...

:werd:

Only gray area is with the freedom of speech part... should not be allowed to spread racist/sexist/hate literature, but on the other hand, we all should have the right to express our discontent and/or beliefs, i.e. agreeing/disagreeing with a particular religion.