PDA

View Full Version : Best seat for anti-megasoreass cycling?

Graham_A_M
06-09-2010, 10:11 PM
Hey guys, the seat my bike came with is brutally uncomfortable after about an hour of cycling. Im not looking for one of these padded (motorcycle seat) cushion types, but whats out there thats very comfortable to use? Or how do you guys cope with it?

Thanks... kind of unsure what to really ask here.
I take breaks since I can't deal with the pain after a while, and cycling while standing up the whole time obviously gets quite tiring quite quickly. :(

sheik_yerbouti
06-09-2010, 10:22 PM
Well, the answer to this question is more complicated than simply telling you what type of seat to buy. We need to know a few things

1. What type of bike is it?
2. What is your price range?

I have road bikes that have nice hard leather saddles (look up 'Brooks Saddle' on the interweb) and they're the most comfortable thing around. But a good part of my weight is put on the bars.

I also have a cruiser, the seat on it is like the motorcycle type you speak of, it has tons of spring and padding in it. All my weight is put on the seat so it needs to be like that.

Finally, avoid stupid gel seats like the plague.

Graham_A_M
06-09-2010, 10:38 PM
The bike is an Infinity Impact (yeah, Costco, I know LOL) It does the job quite well so I can't complain. Quickly; its a reasonably priced mountain bike w/full suspension.

Price range is under $150 for the seat.

corsvette
06-09-2010, 10:46 PM
Go get a GOOD pair of cycling shorts,you will be amazed at the difference,(most are well padded in the rear)and the more you ride the less saddle sore you will be,i have bought different saddles,but to me the shorts made the biggest improvment.

msommers
06-09-2010, 10:49 PM
Something with a slot at the back helps as well. I noticed a big difference with shorts and that new seat.

Graham_A_M
06-09-2010, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by corsvette
Go get a GOOD pair of cycling shorts,you will be amazed at the difference,(most are well padded in the rear)and the more you ride the less saddle sore you will be,i have bought different saddles,but to me the shorts made the biggest improvment.
So gets these at a shop such as Cycle Path?

corsvette
06-09-2010, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M

So gets these at a shop such as Cycle Path?

Any Bike shop or MEC will have them,they are about $80-up.

Grogador
06-09-2010, 11:08 PM
Get something with a hole in the middle to take the weight off your tailbone and onto your well-padded ass-bones. I know it looks goofy but believe me it is HEAVEN! Get the right size for your ass-fatness, the one pictured below is quite skinny.

http://www.aerotechdesigns.com/images/SaddleSA5256.gif

http://bestmountainbikesonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/assometer.jpg

This one is more fat-ass:
http://www.jensonusa.com/product/sa/SA602A00_____MENS.jpg

Mibz
06-10-2010, 01:19 AM
Getting a seat like the 2nd one above (fat-ass) helped me a bit but riding often helped me even more. Just took me a while to get used to it.

I've been recommended shorts by more experienced riders as well but until I start hitting trails I don't imagine I'll need them.

alloroc
06-10-2010, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by corsvette

HHURICANE1
06-10-2010, 10:57 AM
Cycling shorts and time are your best friends here. You will get used to the seat after awhile and the shorts while help cushion while you get used to it. Cheap bikes use cheap, poorly shaped saddles anyway so I would suggest getting a quality seat from a cycle shop. Your butt will be much happier.

swak
06-10-2010, 12:06 PM
If you just got your bike, id recommend riding with the same seat for a bit longer (break it in).

... if you spend ~$150 you'll be looking at a semi-pro seat likely, and it will be stiff as hell (if its a road seat), and will likely feel even more uncomfortable to you...

Give it time is probably all it needs, or find a stiff'ish seat with some dece padding that fits you properly as grogador noted.