PDA

View Full Version : h22a Swap into 3g lude

90TurboLude
12-14-2003, 05:14 PM
Okay so ive come to the conclusion that this is the best bet for my ride (i like N/A over turb kuz of its "easier" reliabillity)

so i need a lil help here

I need to find a h22a first (pref the 2000 engine) and I would like to talk to any Tuners who have experience with the engine so i can see what pieces i should be upgrading prior to installation (like if it has notoriously weak rods or whatever) that would be great.. thanks

-mr.lude

buh_buh
12-14-2003, 07:50 PM
It will take a lot of work to fit a H22a into a 3rd gen Prelude engine bay, but it can be done. A b-series swap would be a much more cost effective swap IMO. If your really set on swapping in a H22a, a lot of custom work would be required.

Here's a write up on the swap:

http://www.preludepower.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=15251

lude_conduct
12-16-2003, 01:56 PM
I've heard nothing but bad things about the H22-3g lude swap. If you plan on having your car as a drag only weekend car, it could be allright, but otherwise it really skews the weight distribution, is what the general consensus says. There are a lot of things that need to be custom made, and the motor mounts offered by place racing are about $600 US! As well you need to custom make a new front cross member, and even then it will bump against the ground if you have your car lowered.
Besides, the H22A is not really known to make that impressive gains in NA form. And if you plan on boosting an H22A, to the point where you'd need new pistons, you have to get the block resleeved because it has the fiber reinforced cylinder walls.
What I'd recommend is to buy a used JDM B20A, and either build it up for boost, or simply swap it in and do a mild turbocharging. Get a manifold from Ludespeed, and buy some used DSM parts and with careful tuning you can get 200whp and 190wtq.
A b-series swap (b16, b18) is about the same difficulty as an H22A, but there are no motor mounts available. As well, the lack of torque on those engines would be a lot more noticable in the 3g lude, due to the lude being heavier than an integra or civic.