PDA

View Full Version : Overzealous moderating of the MarketPlace

HiTempguy1
06-10-2010, 09:33 AM
I simply stated in one guys thread that I had saw the car the previous day driving buy, and it was very clean (and giving the guy a free bump). The post was deleted. I have plenty of for sale threads I have made where people have posted a lot worse than "clean car, good shape" that haven't got deleted.

Whats the deal?

JRSC00LUDE
06-10-2010, 09:48 AM
Marketplace Rules:

8.Do not post if you have no intention of buying the item at the time of your post

They're nothing new. :)

QuasarCav
06-10-2010, 09:48 AM
Your comment was pointless and does nothing for the sale. The removal of your post was completely fair.

HondaKid
06-10-2010, 09:50 AM
One never gets a reply from the mods, they are secured in their bunker a la 1984. Now this posting ought to get you a reply as it will show the mods are not made of tin, indeed they have a heart. Now it might not as I have said it will and they will not want to think we control the dancing chicken, insert another coin.

Mods... can't live with them, can't live without.

D'z Nutz
06-10-2010, 10:22 AM
Weird! I was just about to start a thread called "Underzealous knowledge of the MarketPlace rules".

HiTempguy1
06-10-2010, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
Weird! I was just about to start a thread called "Underzealous knowledge of the MarketPlace rules".

I am well aware of the rule, and have been for a long time. Its just of all the comments/posts they could remove, it seemed very odd to go after that one.

For all you Beyonders out there, this is like the gripe about CPS handing out speeding tickets. It just seems like there is a lot more important moderating that could go on. :dunno:

scat330
06-10-2010, 10:29 AM
I like this rule, keeps the crap out of the threads. At a local bmw forum, where I don't go anymore, this one idiot will post in evert single forsale thread, even if the part wont even fit his car! It's ridic.

Idratherbsidewayz
06-10-2010, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by scat330
I like this rule, keeps the crap out of the threads. At a local bmw forum, where I don't go anymore, this one idiot will post in evert single forsale thread, even if the part wont even fit his car! It's ridic.

That's like this one idiot on Beyond that posts in every single thread even though he never has anything useful to say...

kenny
06-10-2010, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1

I am well aware of the rule, and have been for a long time. Its just of all the comments/posts they could remove, it seemed very odd to go after that one.

Look at it from a moderator's perspective. If users who are selling cars get their friends to post about how clean, how sick or how fresh their cars are then we'll have a problem with people bumping their threads too often.

Marketplace threads are not for discussion. They are for transactions only.

:thumbsup:

JfuckinC
06-10-2010, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Idratherbsidewayz

That's like this one idiot on Beyond that posts in every single thread even though he never has anything useful to say...

One? There are at least two :rofl: (I don't mean you)

HiTempguy1
06-10-2010, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by kenny

Look at it from a moderator's perspective. If users who are selling cars get their friends to post about how clean, how sick or how fresh their cars are then we'll have a problem with people bumping their threads too often.

Marketplace threads are not for discussion. They are for transactions only.

Fair enough, I'll make sure to not clutter up the threads.

T-Dubbs
06-10-2010, 11:10 AM

Originally posted by Idratherbsidewayz

LOL!

scat330
06-10-2010, 11:34 AM
And to think I said I liked your car dubbs, sigh.

As for IRBSW, fix your tranny yet?

R-Audi
06-10-2010, 11:51 AM
And to think I said I liked your car dubbs, sigh.

As for IRBSW, fix your tranny yet?

What part of straight cut gears dont you understand?

scat330
06-10-2010, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by R-Audi

What part of straight cut gears dont you understand?

What? I swear on here he said it was broken. :dunno:

Dont be mad :bullshit:

dj_rice
06-10-2010, 12:18 PM
No love for scat330 :rofl: :rofl:

The harder you try to fit in, the more you get rejected

To the OP, the moderating on here is exactly like you said, some get caught speeding, some don't but in moderator's defense, theres only a handful of them, and what, they have to sift through hundreds of threads so its bound to happen that they miss a post, they are indeed human after all.

Melinda
06-10-2010, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1

For all you Beyonders out there, this is like the gripe about CPS handing out speeding tickets. It just seems like there is a lot more important moderating that could go on. :dunno:
We can't see everything all the time. That's why there is the "report this post" link so that you can help us out if we've missed something. However, your post broke the rules, so why did you make a thread to complain?

scat330
06-10-2010, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice
No love for scat330 :rofl: :rofl:

The harder you try to fit in, the more you get rejected

Maybe it's the 7 or so schools in my lifetime. Always fitting in :cry:

Idratherbsidewayz
06-10-2010, 01:10 PM

What? I swear on here he said it was broken. :dunno

:rofl: :rofl:

No... that was you. I made a sarcastic comment and didn't bother correcting you (for the lols).

scat330
06-10-2010, 01:16 PM
I see.

:(

max_boost
06-10-2010, 01:29 PM
This is not worthy of a thread. The tread title has got you on the radar, you will probably get banned next lol

403ep3
06-11-2010, 12:30 AM

Maybe it's the 7 or so schools in my lifetime. Always fitting in :cry:

I have a feeling that is not the reason why...lol

I've always wondered how I lost my user ratings. I even searched and couldn't find them

D. Dub
06-11-2010, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by HondaKid

Mods... can't live with them, can't live without.

Also...... can't kill and bury them in a ditch.

JfuckinC
06-11-2010, 08:37 AM
Gator boots
with the pimped out gucci suits

Kloubek
06-11-2010, 08:52 AM
OP: I don't really disagree with you. I too have made comments which I thought were warranted, and it got deleted. (And a subsequent "black mark" on my record.)

It is especially difficult when I see someone posting information which is faulty and misleading, and I can't do anything to help my Beyondmates to alert them. I personally don't understand how my helping someone from getting scammed/mislead is a detriment to Beyond.

However, the rules ARE the rules. And they are in place for a reason - perceived or otherwise. We have been given the opportunity to be entertained and informed by this service which costs us nothing, and as such it is only respectful to follow the rules as they are laid out - regardless of reason.

hampstor
06-11-2010, 09:18 AM
Specifically regarding free bumps, I will generaly remove the bump completely and it will drop the thread back to where it was prior. If it happens repeatedly, I will deduct points + delete the post.

I've had members pm me and ask me to clean up their threads because people are posting things that are not relevant to the sale. Posting things like "nice car, good luck with the sale" to you may appear helpful, to the OP sometimes it doesn't really help his sale and clutters up his thread.

My suggestion on posting in the marketplace - when posting in someone else's marketplace thread, follow the rules think about what you would want to see if it was your own thread.

If you think it's a scam/something wrong with it, click "Report this post" and a moderator will review it and take action if necessary. Alternately, I know some members have a particular mod they go to for help and will pm that mod directly.

Kloubek
06-11-2010, 11:28 AM
Just out of curiosity - when one "reports a post", does it allow for an explaination of *why*? (Maybe it does... I've never tried)

scat330
06-11-2010, 11:31 AM
^yes, try it, nothing happens unless you submit on the next page.

Kloubek
06-11-2010, 01:48 PM
Well then, I guess that solves my second issue. :) Thanks!

01RedDX
06-12-2010, 01:00 PM

Gooseberry
06-12-2010, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX
But seriously, what is with the nazi moderating of the market place? Are you guys just generally trying to keep people away from it? Is it not in everyone's best interest to keep as many people using it as possible?

I understand those obvious infractions, but when I make a thread on the 31st followed by a bump on the 6th, I don't think there's a need to delete my post and dock points. But fine, I will never post in there again if that's what you want. :rolleyes:

With that said, some smartass will now chime in with "If you don't like it, go elsewhere". etc. etc.

Mitsu3000gt
06-14-2010, 09:43 AM
If you have no intention to buy, but the seller is blatantly trying to rip people off, take advantage, misrepresent the product, etc. will someone pointing that out still have their post deleted in a FS thread? Just curious because I've seen it happen in the past where key information that the seller clearly did not want the buyer to know had been added by another member and removed. I think that sort of thing should be allowed to help some less knowledgeable members. Just thinking out loud, not a huge deal.

Kloubek
06-14-2010, 09:48 AM
^^^^ Did you basically just paraphrase exactly what I already asked? :)

Originally posted by Kloubek
It is especially difficult when I see someone posting information which is faulty and misleading, and I can't do anything to help my Beyondmates to alert them. I personally don't understand how my helping someone from getting scammed/mislead is a detriment to Beyond.

Mitsu3000gt
06-14-2010, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek
^^^^ Did you basically just paraphrase exactly what I already asked? :)

LOL sorry man, didn't even read your post, or any others in this thread except the first. Apparently we had precisely the same question. That's really the only suggestion I had regarding the prompt cleanup of all FS threads. The problem with reporting it to a moderator is if the moderator who reviews doesn't happen to have the knowledge to know that there is something wrong (scam, misleading, etc.) then that does no good.

kenny
06-15-2010, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
The problem with reporting it to a moderator is if the moderator who reviews doesn't happen to have the knowledge to know that there is something wrong (scam, misleading, etc.) then that does no good.

Thats why there is a text box for you to provide that information when reporting a post.

Melinda
06-15-2010, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

LOL sorry man, didn't even read your post, or any others in this thread except the first. Apparently we had precisely the same question. That's really the only suggestion I had regarding the prompt cleanup of all FS threads. The problem with reporting it to a moderator is if the moderator who reviews doesn't happen to have the knowledge to know that there is something wrong (scam, misleading, etc.) then that does no good.
Complaints also get sent to ALL of the moderators, so more than one person looks at each one of these things.

legendboy
06-15-2010, 10:24 AM
if it becomes an issue maybe beyond should not allow ANY replies to threads in the market place. everything must go thru pm

thats how canadiangunnutz.com works. it works good!

KandabashiDevil
06-15-2010, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX
But seriously, what is with the nazi moderating of the market place?

Boredom.

These guys became moderators because they like to sit in a chair and stare at a screen longer than anyone else. With lower forum activity in other sections, it's only natural that they occupy their time with anything that will extend their screen viewing. (jk ... but not really) :rofl:

Besides, I think the marketplace should be scrutinized more than any other section. 100%. Who cares about the vomit in "Society/Current Events" or "Entertainment"? In the Marketplace people are trying to sell things and money is trading hands. It's more serious than other sections .... Lots of items are high value

Even if someone is making a post out of good intentions, it doesn't always end that way. I don't want people throwing their opinions around in my attempt to sell something, even if it's 10 guys saying "Nice wheels!". I'm thinking ... "Great, so fucking buy them!"

Rules are black and white. Conform to them and obey! :whipped:

Mitsu3000gt
06-16-2010, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by kenny

Thats why there is a text box for you to provide that information when reporting a post.

Originally posted by Melinda

Complaints also get sent to ALL of the moderators, so more than one person looks at each one of these things.

Oh OK - thanks. I've never "reported a post" before so I didn't know there was a text box. Between that and every mod getting a copy of the complaint, it seems like that would do it. Thanks for the clarification.

Integra10
06-20-2010, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by JfuckinC
Gator boots
with the pimped out gucci suits

Aint got no job
But I stay flyyy

TomcoPDR
06-20-2010, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Integra10

Aint got no job
But I stay flyyy

Can't pay my rent, cuz all my money's spent

HiTempguy1
06-21-2010, 01:22 PM
This thread is STILL going? Jeebus, look what happens when I leave my own threads alone for a week (I was in Deadmonton).

Kloubek
06-21-2010, 01:25 PM
I must admit - I reported something in the last few days, and it was taken care of.

I'm not nearly as against the policing now than I was before I was told about this useful tool.... :)

Tik-Tok
06-21-2010, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by KandabashiDevil

Boredom.

These guys became moderators because they like to sit in a chair and stare at a screen longer than anyone else. With lower forum activity in other sections, it's only natural that they occupy their time with anything that will extend their screen viewing. (jk ... but not really) :rofl:

If that were true, I'd be a mod. by now :rofl:

I don't use the marketplace much, but appreciate the hardline rules of that part of the forum. When I tried selling my Audi on a few other (US based) sites, they got seriously cluttered with a bunch of jackass's who kept insisting I was asking too much, even though they live in a different country, with different economics. Because THEY bought their minty fresh one for $10g, my asking price of $16g was "outrageous" (even though the next cheapest one in Calgary was $17g).

Trying to sell that car really made me appreciate our own Gestapo style mods.

Weapon_R
06-21-2010, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

If that were true, I'd be a mod. by now :rofl:

I don't use the marketplace much, but appreciate the hardline rules of that part of the forum. When I tried selling my Audi on a few other (US based) sites, they got seriously cluttered with a bunch of jackass's who kept insisting I was asking too much, even though they live in a different country, with different economics. Because THEY bought their minty fresh one for $10g, my asking price of $16g was "outrageous" (even though the next cheapest one in Calgary was $17g).

Trying to sell that car really made me appreciate our own Gestapo style mods.

And this is what it basically all comes down to. The marketplace is, by far, the busiest section of the site. Without our rules, we'd have people bumping their ads and having their friends all do the same.

I wonder - is it better to heavily enforce the marketplace, or come on here to see 200 new posts, and find that 175 of those are bumps to old posts? I think most would prefer the former.

alloroc
06-21-2010, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
The tread title

I thought the for sale thread in the MP was for a car? Now someone is selling tires?

I'm so confused.