PDA

View Full Version : Scotiaitrade vs TD Activetrader

Neil4Speed
06-10-2010, 10:57 AM
Hey Guys,

I was hoping to get a bit of insight from users of either of these platforms, to see what your preferences were and just general experiences.

I am a day-trader, and execute about 900 trades a quarter within a RSP. I deal with mostly stock amounts in the low 100's, occasionally will flip around with about 1000, but rarely if ever any "penny stocks ie. <$3.00". I have been using Royal Bank Direct Investing with the Trading Dashboard, and its a really simple system, which is clunky and slow to execute trades and put in limit orders etc. I want to go to something a little bit more "professional" and noticed Scotiaitrade and TD Activetrader are directed more towards the day trader and have the ability to use Registered Accounts. I have already contacted both and qualify for the Activetrader Pro and Scotiaitrade Pro Platforms.

I would really like to have the ability to have Trailing Stops according to the particular index which I am trading with. I would also like to have Real Time Comparative Graphing (where I can have about 4 stocks continuously updating on a graph). Fast execution time, point and click buying selling are really nice to have as well.

Otherwise my needs are pretty simple, I deal with strictly stocks, and not options/forex etc.

Any suggestions or experiences, or even alternatives.

:)

Thanks in Advance!

mr2mike
06-11-2010, 09:22 AM
http://www.milliondollarjourney.com/review-canadian-discount-brokerages.htm

Why not Questrade?
I'm in the process of moving to them. Cheapest in the long run.

My post on it.
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/305629/questrade-any-reviews-users/

Also this one:
http://www.milliondollarjourney.com/questrade-review.htm

broken_legs
06-11-2010, 01:56 PM
td active trader is pretty sweet.

you can set up trailing stops (VTSO) and the trades are instantaneous. You get confirmation when the exchang receives your order, then again when the trade is executed.

Click and drag from your stock list to a chart, or options quote.

Set up some charts to automatically chart whatever is in your Quote, Buy/Sell, or Options Quote boxes (saves time) If you look at something BAM the chart is there and you can click a button and start buying selling.

You can only chart 2 stocks per chart... And if youre like me and all you watch is candles, then its annoying because the second chart is just a line superimposed over the candlesticks of your main chart.

Drawing trendlines, and adding support resistance is easy. BUT - When you change teh scale of your chart then the trendlines go whacky... They seeem to be linked graphically to places ont he chart rather than with a date or price.

What else.. what else... Multiple studies, on the chart or in seperate boxes in the chart window. Live market trades scrolling on the right hand side (vlome vs Price). Market depth blah blah blah

plus all my banking is with TD so I can still see all of my balances from one screen.

edit:
You can also set up Bracket orders:

Sell if X, or Sell if Y