PDA

View Full Version : Sold everything, get a Lambo, drive it to the ground.

Xtrema
06-10-2010, 02:39 PM
Quite an adventure.

http://jalopnik.com/5559767/i-sold-everything-to-buy-a-lamborghini-and-drive-across-the-country

slinkie
06-10-2010, 02:45 PM
crossing the double yellow is illegal

Redlyne_mr2
06-10-2010, 02:46 PM
Woww

Xtrema
06-10-2010, 02:51 PM
I'm surprised a modern engine (although tuned for max performance) only lasts under 100K.

-relk-
06-10-2010, 02:53 PM
That would be a nice change of pace :thumbsup:

-relk-
06-10-2010, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
I'm surprised a modern engine (although tuned for max performance) only lasts under 100K.

I am guessing he didn't do a lot of maintenence on it considering how few people can work on a lambo...

Jlude
06-10-2010, 02:57 PM
Impressive story... I like what he says at the end of the article.

"You're never going to live up to anyone's expectations, so you might as well live up to your own and for me that's to be as free as you can. And if money doesn't buy you freedom then it's useless."

jjmac
06-10-2010, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Jlude
Impressive story... I like what he says at the end of the article.

"You're never going to live up to anyone's expectations, so you might as well live up to your own and for me that's to be as free as you can. And if money doesn't buy you freedom then it's useless."

Beat me to it.

Awesome read.

scat330
06-10-2010, 03:17 PM
Crazy story

adamc
06-10-2010, 03:17 PM
killer quote, great story.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
06-10-2010, 03:19 PM
I would sell everything and do that buttttt, I dont have anything to sell haha.

inline6turbo
06-10-2010, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

100miles ma dear, 160ks

max_boost
06-10-2010, 04:14 PM
All I'm wondering is, did he ever bring the car in for service during his 100,000 mile cross country and back journey?

What's the maintenance schedule on Lambo's anyway? Every 10-15,000 miles? :dunno:

The only thing that really mattered in the end was, it was all worth it to him. He is happy with himself.

Phenix
06-10-2010, 04:26 PM
160K, I'm surprised the thing wasn't eating oil like crazy. Some of the older ones would only last till 60K and then would require the engine to be pulled to have new cylinders put in. hence the turbo'd ones in town. It was due to the piston rings being slightly too large and destroying the cylinder walls.

I would love to do this. but with a different car though and I would take better care of it so it would last all those miles

Das Auto
06-10-2010, 05:01 PM
i wonder how long he did this nomad lambo journey for. seems like it'd be tight to have all the costs with this car and that mortgage pulling on your wallet for more then a year.

gram
06-10-2010, 05:02 PM
Not really fair to compare the old Lambos to the new ones though. Any sane person will tell you how much of a junker old Lambos really are.
It is now owned and built by a real car maker(Audi) and 100 000 miles out of an exotic is simply amazing in my books.

dj_honda
06-10-2010, 07:20 PM
no hate for the jspoon wing?

eglove
06-10-2010, 07:25 PM
awesome :thumbsup:

snmguy
06-10-2010, 07:29 PM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

K3RMiTdot
06-10-2010, 08:06 PM
good read, i woulda cried after being in debt

flipstah
06-10-2010, 08:07 PM
Great story! Enjoying the sights and sounds when you can.

sputnik
06-10-2010, 08:11 PM
I would have probably just bought an F355 F1 outright instead of a new Lambo.

Might as well get the depreciation factor and still have uberlow mileage.

bjstare
06-10-2010, 08:43 PM
That is so awesome.

On another note:

Originally posted by inline6turbo

100miles ma dear, 160ks

100K = 100,000
100K != 100 kms

just so ya know...he didn't necessarily mean kms.;)

scary_perry
06-10-2010, 09:18 PM
I think he made an excellent choice.

Bummer that the timing chain was so lame though.

I bet a german supercar would still be running fine. VW may own them, but the Lambo was made in Bologna (right?).

adamc
06-10-2010, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
I would have probably just bought an F355 F1 outright instead of a new Lambo.

Might as well get the depreciation factor and still have uberlow mileage.

I can help you with that.. :)

Cos
06-10-2010, 09:39 PM
If I get left, im doing this. Maybe not on this scale though.

Hakkola
06-10-2010, 09:40 PM
Coolest story I've read in awhile, would be nice to go on an extended road trip, I'd never go into debt to do it though.

jsn
06-10-2010, 11:21 PM
Kudos to him for having the guts to do that. I'd be scared shitless if I knew that I was driving across the country with everything i owned and with a pile of debt to my name.

calgarydub
06-21-2010, 04:35 PM
Not everything is as it seems.

From the comments on the page:

Some truth about this story:

Richard Jordan has taken Matt Hardigree on a ride with a ton of lies here. He never sold all of his possessions or spent his "life savings" to set out on the open road or to buy the Lamborghini (OR any of the other luxury cars and bikes he's been afforded over the years).

Where to start with this pile of madness? He sold his metal fabrication business?! WHAT business? What was the name of this alleged business and to whom did he sell it and when? For that matter, WHAT JOB? And he took to the highway, living hotel to hotel after his fiancee left him???! The timeline in this is whack. He bought her a Corvette AFTER he bought the Lamborghini (and also after he bought the Hummer H1 and the Audi A4 AND the Ford F-650 AND the Cadillac and whatever else that he purchased within that five year block), and they were together for a long while afterward. What about the time he was pulled over in Indiana? Or the embarrassing time(s) he TOLD people he was Moby? The versions portrayed above of those incidents are a convoluted headache of half-truths. Witnesses were there, remember, Richard? This article leads readers to believe Mr. Jordan is some kind of nomadic Mad-Max-meets-Two-Lane-Black-Top messiah when he's really just a delusional kid who hails from extreme privilege. I'm sure his good family is floored by this hacked up mess of words.

Hell, my elderly parents have put more out-of-state miles on their car than Richard has put on this Lambo. The most driving he's done has been at 18o mph from Starbucks to Starbucks across the Dallas/Ft. Worth metroplex. This is SUCH an unbelievable crock. People can't possibly be reading this story, looking at the handful of pictures Richard took while on a few road trips along with the images of his new warehouse, and thinking all of this has no holes in it! Come on.

Richard, you owe Matt Hardigree a huge apology for wasting his time and for leading readers to believe you're some kind of reformed victim of love who left everything behind for some romantic, American dream. Did you think an article of this popular magnitude wouldn't be read by people who know you in real life? Reply

jonni44
06-22-2010, 12:49 PM
^^^Wow way to hate on the story.

IMHO, even if the story has holes in it, its still a great story and a dream of many ppl who've been bent over by the opposite sex. I personally dont care if its just a made up fairy tale, its the only article I've read in its entirity on here in quite a while. A nice change of pace from honda and toyota recalls if you ask me.

94boosted
06-22-2010, 01:08 PM
If the story is true then that's awesome and props to the guy sounds like a wicked adventure if not :thumbsdow

Jlude
06-22-2010, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by jonni44
^^^Wow way to hate on the story.

IMHO, even if the story has holes in it, its still a great story and a dream of many ppl who've been bent over by the opposite sex.

You must be religious, cause you sound like the type of person who believes shit like the bible even though you know it's made up. :rofl: :rofl:

Shlade
06-22-2010, 01:46 PM
Thats amazing! Such a cool read!

If i owned a lambo it would be my daily driver every day! all day!

rain, shine, snow! Spending that kind of money i wouldnt think of driving anything else!

beyond_ban
06-22-2010, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Shlade
Thats amazing! Such a cool read!

If i owned a lambo it would be my daily driver every day! all day!

rain, shine, snow! Spending that kind of money i wouldnt think of driving anything else!

You should have read the ENTIRE thread... In fact, you should have just read the post about 3-4 above yours.

wrcftw
06-22-2010, 02:47 PM
yeah the story doesn't really make sense...guy sells everything to put 75k down on a lambo, and then presumably spends a hell of a long time driving and having adventure, all the while paying his mortgage on the house he can't sell, probably $1000's a month on gas and living/parying expenses. And then opens up a shop???

Yeah...I'm sure the bank manager that loaned him $xxx,xxx.xx to start up his business really loved his credit history report and mohawk....

I call BS and that the guy in the comments is telling the truth.

Shlade
06-22-2010, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by beyond_ban

You should have read the ENTIRE thread... In fact, you should have just read the post about 3-4 above yours.

I just think if i had a lambo id drive it everyday! itd be a sweet adventure taking it everywhere!

...Bullrun 2.0 haha

jonni44
06-22-2010, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Jlude

You must be religious, cause you sound like the type of person who believes shit like the bible even though you know it's made up. :rofl: :rofl:

The only thing less true than that comment is the story itself :guns:

I do however like fictional stories that are plausable, and the _ _ _ _ _ is certainly not plausable IMO.

911fever
06-27-2010, 10:02 PM
great read, good for him for following through on his dreams

GTI1671
06-27-2010, 10:31 PM
i was considering about doing the same thing, except in a lotus exige s260. but that would be a bad idea.

davidI
06-27-2010, 10:31 PM
Inspirational story, even if it is fiction.

I've got a 9 month - 1 year road trip through North America all drawn up and hope to do it one day.

I can't see doing it in an exotic though, unless I was able to pick up something that had already depreciated and knew enough to be able to maintain it myself (not the easiest cars to work on - can you imagine breaking down in some hick town in Tennessee!?). Even in an affordable sporst car it would be an epic journey and a fun drive.

I'd couch-surf rather than motel it, though. I don't think I'd be carrying any hand guns either!

pinoyhero
07-01-2010, 07:50 AM
Haha, awesome, onelife i guess

8Ball
07-01-2010, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by calgarydub
Not everything is as it seems.

From the comments on the page:

"he's really just a delusional kid who hails from extreme privilege"

zipdoa
10-19-2010, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by 8Ball

"he's really just a delusional kid who hails from extreme privilege"

After seeing his fucking faux-hawk, that's exactly what I thought.

beyond_ban
10-19-2010, 11:07 AM
I'd say its more hawk then faux.

heavyD
10-19-2010, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by wrcftw
yeah the story doesn't really make sense...guy sells everything to put 75k down on a lambo, and then presumably spends a hell of a long time driving and having adventure, all the while paying his mortgage on the house he can't sell, probably $1000's a month on gas and living/parying expenses. And then opens up a shop???

Yeah...I'm sure the bank manager that loaned him $xxx,xxx.xx to start up his business really loved his credit history report and mohawk....

I call BS and that the guy in the comments is telling the truth.

I'd like to believe the story but there are holes as spending 365 days on the road is a very expensive proposition so who was paying for the hotels, food, gas, entertainment, car payments, house payments, etc? There was obviously a much larger pool of money than the guy suggests.

Darkane
10-19-2010, 12:51 PM
What about the 53 tickets?

Wouldn't the license be suspended?

thrasher22
10-20-2010, 12:57 AM
^^ My guess is he racked up those tickets in multiple states and they're either slow to talk to each other, or don't at all.

This is a super rad idea, and a lambo represents a dream, but wouldn't this had made a TON more sense in a van/car/anything else? I hope he does well in his business, because otherwise he'll be in debt for the rest of his life.
I'll stop being a bummer now.