PDA

View Full Version : Appealing at U OF C

dandia89
06-10-2010, 06:27 PM
I just grabbed my exams from the undergrad engineering office today, and i found some ridiculous marking in my exams. I have one class where im 0.35% off from a B+ and another class where the final exam just brought my mark down insanely.

I`m just wondering what are some tips in hopes of getting my appeals sucessfull and my marks bumped up.

liquidboi69
06-10-2010, 06:58 PM
The best bet you'll have is to pay to get them remarked by another person. I think that's the only thing you can do.

Jim Rome99
06-10-2010, 07:38 PM
study harder next time

in the real world, nobody cares about grades. suck it up princess

JDMMAN
06-10-2010, 08:16 PM
Just remember that your marks are graded on a curve.

Realistically try harder next year. That's when you pick your concentration anyways.

r0g3r
06-10-2010, 08:32 PM
if you feel that you need the extra GPA to pick your concentration then go a head. for most of my classes the prof doesn't even show us that percentages = what letter grade, so most of the time I don't even bother finding out what I got on the final.

Disoblige
06-10-2010, 09:01 PM
Isn't dandia already in mechanical? If so, then honestly I would just look at my final and see how much marks is needed to get 0.35% higher for a final grade. If it's more than 2 marks, it may be quite hard and I would just forget about it. Lots of people including myself have been in cases where we only needed 2-3 marks but the prof did not care. They had to put the line somewhere.

dandia89
06-10-2010, 09:20 PM
I'm already in mechanical(finished 2nd), but this semester raped me unbelivably. My gpa dropped huge, I lost my scholarship and I'm applying for internship this year. I know i fucked up huge, and thats my fault. I just want to make sure i'm in decent shape for internship and a couple of grade bumps would help huge.

Another question, do they look at cumaltive GPA for internship, or the last 8 or 10 courses??

Disoblige
06-10-2010, 09:25 PM
^^ If you're talking about just being able to take internship, just have to be over 2.0 with your 3rd year courses cumulatively.

If you're talking about getting interviews, then it varies on employers. Some look at GPA, some don't, but majority definitely look at your extra-curricular stuff that aid in whatever role they are looking for.

dirtsniffer
06-10-2010, 09:53 PM
so i can just walk into the engg undergrad office and ask for my finals?
will they give me copies of the tests as well?
tia

and Dandia, if it matters i got raped on the fluids and solids finals

dandia89
06-10-2010, 10:20 PM
its $4 a copy, doesn't include the tests(like fluids).

Mx6er
06-10-2010, 10:59 PM
Asad do it!
I have never seen an instance where someone got a mark lower...
I appealed a class in the fall semester.. and went from a D- to a B
+ on the final. Needless to say when I reviewed the test, the marking was disgusting. I knew it was an easy appeal. Just make sure you write a lengthy, (3 page minimum) hand written paper to staple to the test for the re-marker. Let them know where they are wrong, and how you deserved the mark and understand the concepts.
It works.

turbotrip
06-11-2010, 04:07 AM
the key is to write a long sob story about how badly you need the extra marks when u submit the appeal. ive never seen a mark drop, there's a good chance it will increase

msommers
06-11-2010, 07:32 AM
There needs to be a cut-off somewhere though right. Make mention if it will make a difference for scholarship applications, job, etc as they tend to take those into account, given how close to the cut-off you are.