PDA

View Full Version : One dead, seven injured in Fort McMurray jobsite incident

Jim Rome99
06-10-2010, 09:24 PM
Happened today in Plant 7-3 at Syncrude. BP are getting bad headlines but we here in Alberta are no angels.

kaput
06-10-2010, 10:08 PM

dirtsniffer
06-10-2010, 10:16 PM
wtf happened?

2Valve0
06-10-2010, 10:18 PM
Good detail bro

Graham_A_M
06-10-2010, 10:19 PM
Great story! Would read again. :thumbsup:

badatusrnames
06-10-2010, 10:24 PM
FORT MCMURRAY- Five workers have been injured following a fire at the Syncrude plant near Fort McMurray on Thursday.

A company spokeswoman said the employees, four contractors and one Syncrude employee, are being treated at an undisclosed hospital.

The fire inside the plant broke out in a recovery unit at about 2 p.m. at the company's Mildred Lake facility.

The damage to the facility is "minor" but the conditions of the workers is unknown.

"I have no details on the severity of their injuries," said Cheryl Robb, of Syncrude.

Robb said the company's emergency personnel, including paramedics and firefighters, treated the patients onsite and also extinguished the fire.

"We have informed Alberta Environment, Workplace Health and Safety and the Energy Resources Conservation Board," said Robb. "And we are in the process of notifying family members."

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Five+workers+hurt+fire+Fort+McMurray+Syncrude+plant/3138484/story.html#ixzz0qW0N5gFG

schocker
06-10-2010, 10:27 PM
Your casualty estimate was quite off.

Jim Rome99
06-11-2010, 05:30 AM
No it wasn't. I work here so I know the real numbers. Later on today, when the worker passes away, this'll be all over the news. I saw WITH MY OWN EYES eight people being taken away in ambulances. One of them is almost certainly going to die from what I saw. Terrible.

kaput
06-11-2010, 08:07 AM

scat330
06-11-2010, 08:30 AM
You're going to be a terrible police officer.

"yeah, that car accident is shitty. Don't call the ambulance, I just know he isn't going to make it"

derran.m
06-11-2010, 08:33 AM
Here's the artical as per MSN/CBC ... bit better detail than above

Syncrude fire injures 5

Five workers were injured Thursday afternoon in a fire at Syncrude's Mildred Lake facility in northern Alberta.

Three of the five were flown by air ambulance to an Edmonton hospital after the blaze broke out about 2 p.m., said Syncrude spokesperson Cheryl Robb, who had little other information.

"All I know is they were medevaced to Edmonton," she said six hours after the incident. "I don't know the extent of their injuries or any further details."

However, she said the other two workers who had been treated at a Fort McMurray hospital had been released by Thursday evening.

"Our priority right now is the injured workers and making sure their families are notified of the incident and then we will be investigating what caused the fire and what happened," Robb said.

"That takes some time, usually. There is an [Occupational Health and Safety] investigator on site now and we're working with them. We'll be conducting our own investigation also."

Robb said human resources personnel at Syncrude had been called in to help the families of the injured men.

"Just making sure they have what they need, because I think it's a difficult time for them," she said.

Robb confirmed that four of the men were contractors who worked for one company, but she would not say which one.

The fifth man was a Syncrude employee.

Robb said firefighters quickly extinguished the blaze and isolated the unit while paramedics were called to the site to treat the injured.

She said the extent of the damage to the plant was believed to be minor and production was not halted as a result of the fire.

Syncrude has informed Alberta Environment, Workplace Health and Safety and the Energy Resources Conservation Board.

http://news.ca.msn.com/local/calgary/article.aspx?cp-documentid=24538656

Sugarphreak
06-11-2010, 08:33 AM

AndyL
06-11-2010, 08:52 AM
Plant 7-3 is in the upgrader area - due north of the extraction plant, if I recall correctly.

One of those areas with volatile fumes and H2S 24/7 - use of brass tools is mandated. No cells, no sparks, nothing that isn't intrinsically safe. We used to go in to do our maintenance with the scott air packs worn, ready to don the mask - its just that kind of area...

Prayers to those involved, but pretty much - going to be a case of someone screwed up and created a spark...

Kloubek
06-11-2010, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by scat330

"yeah, that car accident is shitty. Don't call the ambulance, I just know he isn't going to make it"

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

dirtsniffer
06-11-2010, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Jim Rome99
Happened today in Plant 7-3 at Syncrude. BP are getting bad headlines but we here in Alberta are no angels.

so how does what happened here even compare to what happened to bp?

got_mike33
06-11-2010, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer

so how does what happened here even compare to what happened to bp?

Agreed, this is a jobsite accident which can occur at plants of any kind. Just because it happened at a Syncrude site doesn't mean it's in anyway comparable to what is happening in the Gulf of Mexico right now.

:facepalm:

BlackArcher101
06-11-2010, 05:47 PM
No it wasn't. I work here so I know the real numbers. Later on today, when the worker passes away, this'll be all over the news.

Wow... WHEN the guy dies?
Nice. And you even put it in the subject. Some real numbers for sure. :rolleyes:

So it's 5 injured, no dead, and 3 still in hospital.

Three workers remain in hospital after a fire at Syncrude's Mildred Lake plant in northern Alberta.

Syncrude spokeswoman Cheryl Robb says their conditions are serious, but the workers are stable.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/edmonton/story/2010/06/11/edmonton-syncrude-injuries-update.html#ixzz0qaizE9U4

Cos
06-11-2010, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by scat330

he is getting better, the new accounts helped him :D

Prayers to the families involved :( Which other company was it?

topmade
06-11-2010, 06:06 PM
The human body does miracles sometimes. If they are stable, I have faith all three will survive and will hopefully live normal lives besides the skin graphs they need to try to hide the scars.

From a by stander perspective it's hard to tell the amount of injuries sometimes. Back in the day at my old job some lady had a burner blow up on her and KO'd her. Some people that were right there when it happend said there was blood everywhere and her face looked like it got ripped apart. Some even thought she was dead. She came back like 2 weeks later with a few minor burns and scars to her face that wasn't nearly what everyone was expecting to see.

TurboMedic
06-12-2010, 10:28 PM
No it wasn't. I work here so I know the real numbers. Later on today, when the worker passes away, this'll be all over the news. I saw WITH MY OWN EYES eight people being taken away in ambulances. One of them is almost certainly going to die from what I saw. Terrible.

I've never met you, but every post of yours I have read on Beyond has me pretty certain you're a tard......

Ruggzy_McTuggz
06-12-2010, 11:26 PM
So Jimrome, you were saying earlier that Syncrude has the best safety policies, and that suncore has the worst. Still sticking by that?

I agree with TurboMedic... you alway seem to talk like you know everything, yet know next to nothing

Jim Rome99
06-13-2010, 09:45 AM
Yes, I'm still sticking by that. That's why you'll notice I wrote "that's why this incident is so surprising" in my post.

sneek
06-13-2010, 10:02 AM
Banned is going to be chocked if he loses his Troll Award. I think I have face-palmed at every post I've seen by Jim Rome.

A790
06-13-2010, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by sneek
Banned is going to be chocked if he loses his Troll Award. I think I have face-palmed at every post I've seen by Jim Rome.
Yea, Rome is definitely on my list to read if I'm looking to laugh at someone. :)

911fever
06-14-2010, 09:02 AM
Jim Rome is a clown