PDA

View Full Version : Experienced Dyno tuners with Megasquirt

aphongt
06-10-2010, 09:29 PM
Hi guys. I hear there was so pretty well respected tuners down here in Calgary. Was wondering which ones are comfortable with tuning a turbo miata with Megasquirt.

I basically set the AFR target tables to what I wanted, and made it hella rich anything above 100kpa. So it pretty much runs, a bit of a loppy idle but was hoping to throw this thing on the dyno and get it properly tuned (fuel and spark)

Thanks for your suggestions.

sr20s14zenki
06-10-2010, 09:30 PM
[email protected] anybody can do it, he can.

se7en
06-10-2010, 11:42 PM
2nd. toma is the man. He can tune a car/truck from 300kms away.

Joe-G
06-11-2010, 12:20 AM
+1 for Toma!

Mr_ET
06-11-2010, 06:32 AM
+3 for Toma

OHNO5OH
06-11-2010, 11:19 AM
Another vote for Toma.

JZS_147
06-11-2010, 02:47 PM
Reg @ RCTS, good luck getting an appointment though, they're booked solid

Chandler_Racing
06-11-2010, 02:57 PM
-1 for Reg.

Unless you want to hear him yap about how good he soldered an ECU, only to have it not work after which he took no responsiblity for.

Mr_ET
06-11-2010, 03:38 PM
And Reg only tunes HKS stuff, won't really touch anything else. It's all he ever talks about.

crxcel
06-11-2010, 03:59 PM
+1 for Toma, he will tune anything, and he is damn good at it too

redsrt4
06-11-2010, 04:17 PM
go to toma.. he always tuned my car..

88jbody
06-11-2010, 04:45 PM
reg is smart and can tune, but mostly f-con, motec and hks.

But I recommend Toma :thumbsup:

962 kid
06-11-2010, 05:51 PM
Toma isn't very familiar with Megasquirt, it's not exactly the best system out there. The whole point of the system is to do it yourself - tuning included. I'm sure he could get your VE and ignition maps good, but again you shouldn't really have to rely on anyone to do it for you.

Originally posted by JZS_147
Reg @ RCTS, good luck getting an appointment though, they're booked solid

I'm surprised you'd even want to tune MS Jim. How far ahead are you guys booking?

aphongt
06-12-2010, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by 962 kid
but again you shouldn't really have to rely on anyone to do it for you.

I can't say I would totally agree with that statement. To get the most out of the system (power wise) its definately good to have a experienced 'tuner' go over your maps. WIth their experience they may be able to point something out that you didn't do or missed on.

And yes, Megasquirt is more of DIY thing. But its more of a build a powerful unit on the cheap by building your own board and harnesses. But its no different than any other standalone unit (correct me if I'm wrong). You still play with fuel and ignition with added features.

sr20s14zenki
06-12-2010, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by aphongt

I can't say I would totally agree with that statement. To get the most out of the system (power wise) its definately good to have a experienced 'tuner' go over your maps. WIth their experience they may be able to point something out that you didn't do or missed on.

And yes, Megasquirt is more of DIY thing. But its more of a build a powerful unit on the cheap by building your own board and harnesses. But its no different than any other standalone unit (correct me if I'm wrong). You still play with fuel and ignition with added features.
you are pretty much right. Toma hadnt really done a whole lot of PowerFC tunes, but in about 5 minutes, he had mine figured out, and within the hour and some had it tuned. Its all the same shit, just every software kinda does things a bit different. It really comes down to translating what you know, to what they have done with their particular setup. It all comes down to fuel and ignition tables tho ;)

Idratherbsidewayz
06-12-2010, 11:17 PM
LOL @ the people lumping megasquirt in with other standalones.

Megasquirt and Microsquirt are two of the most annoying pieces of tuning hardware/software, most tuners won't touch that shit with a 10ft pool. Cost us three FSAE competitions in a row (I know... should've learned after the first, or maybe the 2nd time). We had it all figured out, would work like a charm, then bam! Mystery problem. Total disaster, definitely not recommended.

Spend the extra couple hundred and get a proper system.

aphongt
06-13-2010, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by Idratherbsidewayz
LOL @ the people lumping megasquirt in with other standalones.

Megasquirt and Microsquirt are two of the most annoying pieces of tuning hardware/software, most tuners won't touch that shit with a 10ft pool. Cost us three FSAE competitions in a row (I know... should've learned after the first, or maybe the 2nd time). We had it all figured out, would work like a charm, then bam! Mystery problem. Total disaster, definitely not recommended.

Spend the extra couple hundred and get a proper system.

What kind of problems did you have? The miata community swears by it with a huge following. So its something I would have to deal with if I want the best support for my car.

and its not a couple hundred more..ahha I wish. 200$ build your own, 500-600 for a already built megasquirt unit, or 1200 for a AEM unit, or... ouch... 2700 (w/ install) for a Vipec unit. Something I can't justify. I'm just a street kind of guy :P

sr20s14zenki
06-13-2010, 08:26 PM

What kind of problems did you have? The miata community swears by it with a huge following. So its something I would have to deal with if I want the best support for my car.

and its not a couple hundred more..ahha I wish. 200$ build your own, 500-600 for a already built megasquirt unit, or 1200 for a AEM unit, or... ouch... 2700 (w/ install) for a Vipec unit. Something I can't justify. I'm just a street kind of guy :P

Yep, thats why i replyed the way i did. Im not biased against any particular system, if you want it, thats really all that counts. Toma can tune ANYTHING so, really its just how much you want to pay for his expertise (=

good luck with it.

tomt64
06-13-2010, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by sr20s14zenki

Toma hadnt really done a whole lot of PowerFC tunes, but in about 5 minutes, he had mine figured out, and within the hour and some had it tuned.

Isnt Toma Apexi certified?? :confused:

sr20s14zenki
06-13-2010, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by tomt64

Isnt Toma Apexi certified?? :confused:

Nope, not that i know of.

legendboy
06-13-2010, 11:24 PM
you guys are forgetting Toma hates megasquirt

to quote "the only standalone your guaranteed to LOOSE horsepower with"

lol

ercchry
06-13-2010, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by legendboy

lol

loose horsepower sucks... i like my horsepower nice and tight!

sr20s14zenki
06-13-2010, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by legendboy

lol

Yep, he hates megasquirt, but i think he will tune anything if the price is right (=

who are we to tell the guy he cant run megasquirt? Like i said, im unbiased. I know its a piece of shit on some occasions, im a strong believe you get what you pay for. Greddy emanage is a piece of shit too, and ive seen him tune them ;)

I too like my horsepower nice and tight..and not too hairy....

Idratherbsidewayz
06-14-2010, 08:47 AM

If you want to deal with it, all the power to you... have fun! If I was in your position, I would spend the extra $600 and get the Plug and Play AEM unit.

The following engines were an absolute cunt to tune with the last one barely running at all (with 2 months of troubleshooting). Keep in mind, there is a 20mm restrictor on the intake side which complicates everything.

1 x Turbo TRX 400 air cooled and converted to fuel injection
2 x Honda F4i water cooled and fuel injected

There were teams with the same motor who bought a better system, wired it up in one day, and had a perfect tune by the end of the weekend.

If your time isn't valuable, enjoy fucking around with the Megasquirt! Although I'm sure it'll be easier if lots of people have done it, they will already have gone through the headaches for you. Still, I guarantee some loud swearing from you as you're installing/tuning this hunk of garbage.

JZS_147
06-14-2010, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Mr_ET
And Reg only tunes HKS stuff, won't really touch anything else. It's all he ever talks about.

completely untrue

he tunes almost everything

JZS_147
06-14-2010, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by 962 kid
Toma isn't very familiar with Megasquirt, it's not exactly the best system out there. The whole point of the system is to do it yourself - tuning included. I'm sure he could get your VE and ignition maps good, but again you shouldn't really have to rely on anyone to do it for you.

I'm surprised you'd even want to tune MS Jim. How far ahead are you guys booking?

Right now July 6th is the first tune date. I'll have to tune my Aristo on a Saturday or Sunday....if there's nothing on the dyno :banghead:

Mr_ET
06-14-2010, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by JZS_147

completely untrue

he tunes almost everything

I see he tunes other stuff on his website, I am just speaking from experience whenever I or friends have brought their cars there. We were always told that HKS this and that was so much better and that we should "upgrade" since the current system was obviously not optimal.

Granted this is mostly Hondas but other tuners have been able to tune using those system without too many hiccups.

I can understand that HKS is what he probably knows best but the upsell attempts everytime we dyno and tune are bothersome.

OHNO5OH
06-14-2010, 11:17 AM
Hi guys. I hear there was so pretty well respected tuners down here in Calgary. Was wondering which ones are comfortable with tuning a turbo miata with Megasquirt.

I basically set the AFR target tables to what I wanted, and made it hella rich anything above 100kpa. So it pretty much runs, a bit of a loppy idle but was hoping to throw this thing on the dyno and get it properly tuned (fuel and spark)

Thanks for your suggestions.

Were you able to get your injector situation figured out? :dunno:

JZS_147
06-14-2010, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Mr_ET

I see he tunes other stuff on his website, I am just speaking from experience whenever I or friends have brought their cars there. We were always told that HKS this and that was so much better and that we should "upgrade" since the current system was obviously not optimal.

Granted this is mostly Hondas but other tuners have been able to tune using those system without too many hiccups.

I can understand that HKS is what he probably knows best but the upsell attempts everytime we dyno and tune are bothersome.

well.....in all fairness the Vpro is better, so it's not like he's lying to you. And RCTS is a Hondata dealer, so tuning Honda's shouldn't have been a problem either.

I'm sure other tuners have been able to tune without "too many hiccups".....Reg likes no hiccups, he's picky on the cars he tunes and his tunes are unbelievably smooth.

Toma
06-15-2010, 08:12 PM
Thanks for the support guys, but I prefer to stay away from MegaSquirt.... really...

If you wanna just rent dyno time, I can load it up so you can nail each load point etc, whatever, that is fine, give you some tuning advice etc... no problem, and the rate is lower like that.

But the megasquirt is incredibly sensitive to noise, and the spark scatter can be unbelievable, I really want nothing to do with them.

If you have the extra coin, yeah, AEM or Haltech are the way to go.

Toma
06-15-2010, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by Idratherbsidewayz

...FSAE....

Hey... who is this? Were you with the team last year when they came to the shop?

Cool project, dedicated fuckers! :thumbsup: