PDA

View Full Version : MMR Shots in Infants

adam c
06-11-2010, 09:35 AM
So i wasn't sure where this topic should go so I guess here is where it will stay unless it gets moved.

Anyways for those that are parents on the board, when your child turned 1 did you get the MMR shot? I hear lots of contradicting evidence for and against it and read it even more, the gf doesn't know if we should vaccinate our daughter and I really don't know either.

Like everything there are pros and cons to this but i don't know which is worse, the chance of my daughter possibly contracting M/M/R by not getting vaccinated or developing autism due to the shot???!?!

01RedDX
06-11-2010, 09:41 AM

hampstor
06-11-2010, 09:45 AM
We had a discussion here about it:

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/252399/mmr-vaccine-autism-link-a-lie-from-the-start/

My son was vaccinated for MMR according to the schedule. Definately doesn't have autism. He's had an obessesion with letters/numbers since about 16 months (actually knows the alphabet and the sound each letters make by 20-21 months) :nut:

Antonito
06-11-2010, 09:51 AM
:facepalm:

The main "evidence" was a study that has since been discredited (along with it's authors) http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/health/article5683671.ece

It wouldn't really matter except that the alarming rise in idiotic parents that are suckered in by a couple of charlatans is threatening to bring back diseases that were rendered obsolete by a simple solution.

e;f,b

G
06-11-2010, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by hampstor
We had a discussion here about it:

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/252399/mmr-vaccine-autism-link-a-lie-from-the-start/

My son was vaccinated for MMR according to the schedule. Definately doesn't have autism. He's had an obessesion with letters/numbers since about 16 months (actually knows the alphabet and the sound each letters make by 20-21 months) :nut:

I shot my son up as well.

My son knows his A-Z and 1-20 and he is almost 20 months old. No correlation of course.

hampstor
06-11-2010, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by G

I shot my son up as well.

My son knows his A-Z and 1-20 and he is almost 20 months old. No correlation of course.

We should hire some guy to find a correlation.

Canadian 2.5RS
06-11-2010, 10:46 AM
I got it done for both of my kids. People who don't immunize are just fucking it up for the rest of civilization and prolonging the spread of diseases that would've otherwise been eradicated.

Get your kids immunized! People far more intelligent than you have been working on this far longer than you can imagine. They are right and information you got from the internetz/your crazy neighbour/random family member is wrong.

lint
06-11-2010, 11:00 AM
Shots f'cked up my son. He was counting in spanish.

LollerBrader
06-11-2010, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by adam c
So i wasn't sure where this topic should go so I guess here is where it will stay unless it gets moved.

Anyways for those that are parents on the board, when your child turned 1 did you get the MMR shot? I hear lots of contradicting evidence for and against it and read it even more, the gf doesn't know if we should vaccinate our daughter and I really don't know either.

Like everything there are pros and cons to this but i don't know which is worse, the chance of my daughter possibly contracting M/M/R by not getting vaccinated or developing autism due to the shot???!?!

Let's turn it around. Responsible risk analysis requires that you ask "why", not just "why not?".

Why do you want your child to have this shot?

What diseases is it protecting against?

How much do you know about the effects of these disease?

When? When does the child need to get this shot? Does it have to happen at age 1?

Who wants your child to get this shot, and what are their reasons for it?

abyss
06-11-2010, 02:12 PM
You have to do a risk analysis of the disease versus the possible complications from the vaccine.

In regards to autism, that study has been disproved. However, with that said, even BEFORE the study there was parents saying that vaccines were the trigger, I'm sure their claims have some merit. But the US has a different schedule than Canada too, LOTS of vaccines really close together.

I personally don't think every kid is safe from a one size fits all vaccine schedule, but we chose to vaccinate our son for everything except chicken pox. If he catches it before school then we'll avoid the vaccine, if not we'll vaccinate him at that time. Major vaccine complications are rare and herd immunity DOES work.

There are also homeopathic options for disease prevention in children if you're really that anti-vaccine. But these should only be dispensed by a licensed naturopath/homeopath and with a complete family history taken and considered.

Hard choices are part of being a parent, best you can do is to arm yourself with as much knowledge as possible before deciding.

adam c
06-11-2010, 02:20 PM
^^I'm not against vaccines but like you said it's hard not to take into consideration what other parents have gone through

despite what studies have been done to disprove it there's always that off chance that it could happen and i don't know if i would ever forgive myself if it happened. does the vaccine need to be given right at 1 year or can it be prolonged to a later date?

abyss
06-11-2010, 02:30 PM
as far as I know you are MORE than welcome to do a delayed vaccination schedule. LOTS of parents do this and health care professionals MUCH prefer this option to no vaccines at all.

Some shots need to be given in the proper length of time succession to work most effectively (ie. Hepatitis) but it's worth talking to your doctor about!

Melinda
06-11-2010, 02:40 PM
Delayed vaccinations are okay, if you're worried, talk to your doctor about it.

With that said, Lucas has had all of the vaccinations on schedule up to 18 months except for the chicken pox and he is definitely not autistic.

The autism study with the MMR vaccination has been proved inaccurate and a lot of professionals are now saying that the correlation now has to do with age, not the vaccine. The vaccines are given around the age that autism starts to surface in children, so it's easy to pin it on something like that.

As far as I know you can't be given autism. I think it's like bi-polar disorder, you're born with it in you, it just needs a trigger. Some parents believe the MMR vaccination is a trigger, but many do not. However if you go onto most autism websites they say that you should get your child vaccinated for MMR.

LollerBrader
06-11-2010, 03:35 PM
^^I'm not against vaccines but like you said it's hard not to take into consideration what other parents have gone through

She says "arm yourself with as much knowledge as possible", and you interpret that as guidance to focus on "What other parents have gone through".....?

adam c
06-11-2010, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by LollerBrader

She says "arm yourself with as much knowledge as possible", and you interpret that as guidance to focus on "What other parents have gone through".....?

I'm posting this thread to gain knowledge aren't i?

LollerBrader
06-11-2010, 03:59 PM

I'm posting this thread to gain knowledge aren't i?

All you can get from this thread are opinions. Knowledge, you'll have to find on your own.

You probably have no clue what I'm talking about, and that's ok.

lint
06-11-2010, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by LollerBrader

All you can get from this thread are opinions. Knowledge, you'll have to find on your own.

You probably have no clue what I'm talking about, and that's ok.

Knowledge doesn't just come from reading books and the internet, it also comes from other people and their experiences.

Stop being such a dickhead

LollerBrader
06-11-2010, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by lint

Knowledge doesn't just come from reading books and the internet, it also comes from other people and their experiences.

While I won't devalidate the value of experiential or anecdotal knowledge, accounts of worst-case scenarios are of limited value when making medical decisions.

Clearly, however, the OP would rather weigh the experiences and opinions of others than going to the effort of educating himself - And that's ok.

I'm sure he's a good customer.

Originally posted by lint

Stop being such a dickhead

You haven't had your shots yet, have you?

lint
06-11-2010, 04:51 PM
you must have been legless marine in a past life

Cowtown_Raider
06-11-2010, 04:59 PM
This is a really touchy subject, Adam, and damn some people get worked up about it...especially those who are so pro-vaccine that they refuse to even consider questioning the effectiveness of vaccines. The anti-vaccers can be equally as militant and seemed to be armed with an arsenal of studies and analyses of childhood diseases which can be quite eye-opening. I've been in your shoes and struggled with this decision as well for my daughter.

My daughter's mom and I decided to forego vaccinations at first. Once I got custody, she was now 3 years old and I then decided to get her immunized. I suppose I succumbed to pressure from others and I'm still not certain that I made the right decision, but it's done and there were no side effects. I'm glad I waited until she was older.

Nobody can tell you what to do here, so do some research and make up your own mind. It's just really hard to find an unbiased, objective source on the web...it's usually one extreme or the other.

Antonito
06-11-2010, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Cowtown_Raider
The anti-vaccers can be equally as militant and seemed to be armed with an arsenal of studies and analyses of childhood diseases which can be quite eye-opening. What an interesting thing to say....

autosm
06-11-2010, 05:10 PM
Could be wrong but day care requires up to date shots and then schools when they get older?

What happens to the kids with no shots?

JWL
06-12-2010, 02:41 AM
There is an interesting article I've read from The Independent:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/autism-and-genetics-a-breakthrough-that-sheds-light-on-a-medical-mystery-1996221.html

abyss
06-12-2010, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by autosm
Could be wrong but day care requires up to date shots and then schools when they get older?

What happens to the kids with no shots?

Nothing. Their parents get harassed endlessly by doctors and health nurses. But many people still choose not to vaccinate their kids for personal reasons. They can't FORCE you to vaccinate your kids.

speedog
06-12-2010, 09:19 AM
OP - do what feels right for you and your family. Question those around you that you know well and care about and do some reading while being well aware that much of the information out there (whether for or against) is funded by groups who have bigger interests at play.

Personally, all three of our kids got their shots and they all are doing very well in school (grades 12, 10 & 6) and are all very well adjusted young adults with no health concerns that could be attributed to any of the shots taken in the past (aside from the third ear growing out the back sides of their noggins).

Would recommend doing it as some of these diseases are very deadly if experienced during their adult years and yeah, I've been through all three diseases when I was a kid (yeah, I'm that old) and let me tell you first hand (from what I can remember and what my parents tell me) that it was not a pleasant experience.

autosm
06-12-2010, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by abyss

Nothing. Their parents get harassed endlessly by doctors and health nurses. But many people still choose not to vaccinate their kids for personal reasons. They can't FORCE you to vaccinate your kids.

So accepted into school / daycare no problem? The way we were asked sounded like it would be a problem if they did not have them.

bignerd
06-12-2010, 10:29 PM
Aren't some of the complications of MMR quite serious? Rare of course but can be dangerous...

adam c
06-12-2010, 11:45 PM
Well we got the shots today all 4 of them
mmr hep chicken pox and menengitis(sp)

so far she is doing alright doesn't seem to be having any complications, the nurse was quite nice and gave us some stuff to read before hand and we thought we might as well get it done. If she does have autism the shots aren't going to make a difference

LollerBrader
06-13-2010, 12:53 AM
Well we got the shots today all 4 of them
mmr hep chicken pox and menengitis(sp)

so far she is doing alright doesn't seem to be having any complications, the nurse was quite nice and gave us some stuff to read before hand and we thought we might as well get it done. If she does have autism the shots aren't going to make a difference

I really don't know why you bothered to post this thread. I'd suggest you're thinking inside the box, but that's two more dimensions than you deserve credit for.

It is not your decision that is worthy of criticism, but the puerile mindset with which you justify it.

Your daughter will probably be ok, in any case.

adam c
06-13-2010, 02:35 AM
I really don't know why you continue to post in this thread leave now thx

abyss
06-13-2010, 05:58 PM

So accepted into school / daycare no problem? The way we were asked sounded like it would be a problem if they did not have them.

Daycares I'm not sure as they're a private service, but then again, most of the kids in daycare aren't old enough to have their complete set of vaccinations anyway. If not, there's still other options for your child.

Schools? It's illegal to not attend school, so yeah, no problems there.

They'll surely harass you about it, but they can't deny your child based solely on the fact you didn't vaccinate them.

Kritafo
06-13-2010, 06:12 PM

My son only ever had one set of shots before he convulsed right in front of the health care staff minutes after the shots.

Regardless, we didn't have any daycare or school issues. I have never been harassed by a Dr or Nurse even at emerg and my son is now in grade 8.

abyss
06-14-2010, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Kritafo

My son only ever had one set of shots before he convulsed right in front of the health care staff minutes after the shots.

Regardless, we didn't have any daycare or school issues. I have never been harassed by a Dr or Nurse even at emerg and my son is now in grade 8.

That must have been terrifying.

That's good to hear! I guess it depends on the reason too. I get harassed every time I see the doc about Graham's chicken pox vaccine, but that could just be my doctor.

LollerBrader
06-14-2010, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by bignerd
Aren't some of the complications of MMR quite serious? Rare of course but can be dangerous...

It's hard to say. The vaccine companies remind us that "corellation isn't causation". If bad things happen after a shot, there's not proof they weren't going to happen anyways.

dexlargo
06-14-2010, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Kritafo

Regardless, we didn't have any daycare or school issues. I have never been harassed by a Dr or Nurse even at emerg and my son is now in grade 8. Sounds like your son is allergic to eggs, or whatever it is that the vaccine is transported in. Your child is the reason that all other kids with no good reason not to get the vaccine should get the vaccines.

As someone pointed out earlier, herd immunity works, but only if the vast majority of the herd is immunized. I have a close relative who works in disease control in Canada and she tells me that for herd immunity to be effective, almost all of the kids who are not allergic or have some other medical reason not to receive the vaccine, need to get the vaccine. If too many people refuse the vaccine, it's not just their kids that are at increased risk, but they're risking the lives of the allergic or otherwise immuno-compromised kids. Do we really need kids to start dying from measles again?

legendboy
06-14-2010, 04:11 PM
I vaccinated my daughter, not worried at all

Kritafo
06-14-2010, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by dexlargo
Sounds like your son is allergic to eggs, or whatever it is that the vaccine is transported in. Your child is the reason that all other kids with no good reason not to get the vaccine should get the vaccines.

As someone pointed out earlier, herd immunity works, but only if the vast majority of the herd is immunized. I have a close relative who works in disease control in Canada and she tells me that for herd immunity to be effective, almost all of the kids who are not allergic or have some other medical reason not to receive the vaccine, need to get the vaccine. If too many people refuse the vaccine, it's not just their kids that are at increased risk, but they're risking the lives of the allergic or otherwise immuno-compromised kids. Do we really need kids to start dying from measles again?

I am not going to start. But my son is not allergic to eggs.