PDA

View Full Version : The irony.....

frozenrice
06-11-2010, 10:59 AM
haha.

I put in my two weeks notice the other day, I quietly and slowly went around telling my peers while waiting to hear something from upper management (I put my notice in Tuesday). None of them said anything to me until yesterday and all he had to say was "Make sure you document everything you do as part of your job so that whoever takes over has something to work off of." I'm currently the last person in my department of what used to be 4-5 people.

So I'm bored as hell right now as I'm trying my best to document everything I do. The tough thing is I do so much, I don't know how I'm going to document it clearly and accurately enough for someone take it over. I basically need to also write a manual on how to use the system on top of the actual duties that involve the system.

What bugs me and find ironic is that they seem to appear to know what I do on a day to day basis to deny pay raises and bonuses, yet here they are asking me to write down everything that I do. I feel I need to write this "manual" for the sake of my peers that are left behind, but at the same time I don't really want to put too much effort into it to kind of screw over the managers.

What to do? :dunno:

freshprince1
06-11-2010, 11:02 AM
Write the manual with a sufficient degree of specificity. Might as well part on good terms. You never know when you'll need to reference your time there and it will pay dividends to be able to have a positive review of your whole tenure there.

n1zm0
06-11-2010, 11:04 AM
shouldnt they be getting you to train someone immediately if youre the last one in your department? :nut:

GQBalla
06-11-2010, 11:07 AM
don't document? :dunno:

Zhariak
06-11-2010, 11:08 AM
Just put something simple together.

Don't go into detail explaining on how to do your tasks. Just explain to them what your function is...

OR, you could simply contact HR, and ask them to e-mail over a Job Description of your current job.

When you leave just provide them with that document.

core_upt
06-11-2010, 11:24 AM
Or document what actually happens for the next guy/

7:30 - workday starts
8:15 - show up to work
8:30 - get coffee and read news online
8:45 - check email
9:00 - get more coffee
9:15 - read beyond.ca
11:00 - do task A from Supervisor A
11:30 - get task B from Supervisor B which contradicts Supervisor A's task
12:00 - take lunch break
1:30 - return to work
1:31 - surf beyond.ca
2:15 - accomplish neither Task A or B as doing neither completes them both
3:00 - receive recognition for not doing work
3:01 - receive criticism for not doing work, though they can't tell if you did in fact do or not do anything
4:00 - go home
5:00 - workday ends

Kloubek
06-11-2010, 11:26 AM
It is always best to leave on good terms. You might want to prove a point (since you are obviously frustrated you were not getting raises and bonuses), but you have to ask yourself: Is proving my point worth a questionable reference?

If it is, then by all means, tell them to stuff it.

But otherwise, just write the manual as best you can.

derran.m
06-11-2010, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
It is always best to leave on good terms. You might want to prove a point (since you are obviously frustrated you were not getting raises and bonuses), but you have to ask yourself: Is proving my point worth a questionable reference?

If it is, then by all means, tell them to stuff it.

But otherwise, just write the manual as best you can.

I have almost always made myself look astonishing to the employer as I leave ... put in that little bit of extra effort and it will pay off - whether it be via reference or re-hiring. I have had 2 jobs that I have come and gone multiple times, and am welcome to come back at any point in time if I need to, because I left under such good circumstances. It proves the point that I could have done better had you paid/treated me better, and here's a quick teaser of what you could have had if you treated/paid accordingly.
I think that's a better point to prove, as opposed to proving that you quit and shouldn't have to handle training replacement(s).

shutterbug_art8
06-11-2010, 04:27 PM
I understand how you feel, but this town is very small. You really don't want to burn any bridges....you might need to cross them later in life.

Jim Rome99
06-13-2010, 06:43 PM
Have some class, go out with a bang. Do whatever they ask to the best of your ability.

You've already made the decision to quit so there's no turning back now. If you really didn't care, you wouldn't have given any notice. I work in construction, and we have a saying, "when the company starts letting me know two weeks in advance that I'm getting let go, I'll start giving them two weeks notice that I'm leaving." Don't be one of those guys. Do your job 110% or else don't bother showing up at all.

WrongWheelDrive
06-13-2010, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by core_upt
Or document what actually happens for the next guy/

7:30 - workday starts
8:15 - show up to work
8:30 - get coffee and read news online
8:45 - check email
9:00 - get more coffee
9:15 - read beyond.ca
11:00 - do task A from Supervisor A
11:30 - get task B from Supervisor B which contradicts Supervisor A's task
12:00 - take lunch break
1:30 - return to work
1:31 - surf beyond.ca
2:15 - accomplish neither Task A or B as doing neither completes them both
3:00 - receive recognition for not doing work
3:01 - receive criticism for not doing work, though they can't tell if you did in fact do or not do anything
4:00 - go home
5:00 - workday ends

LOL that pretty much sums up my days to the T hahaha awesome.

Anomaly
06-15-2010, 01:48 PM
I suggest documenting everything in MS Paint. :rofl:

f150jacked
06-15-2010, 01:51 PM
do nothing considering u got fired

4lti
06-15-2010, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by f150jacked
do nothing considering u got fired

Did you even read the thread...
He gave his two weeks notice.

frozenrice
06-18-2010, 10:40 PM
Thanks for the advice. I've been busy as hell at work. Considering I'm the last person in my department and one of the few people in the company that knows how to use our software, they know they're f****d. Even though they didn't counter offer to try and keep me, they did ask if I'd be willing to work on the side as a consultant to help them until they found someone to replace me. I'm actually considering it to make some extra cash and to help them out. This way I get to leave on good terms with them.

vengie
06-18-2010, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by frozenrice
Thanks for the advice. I've been busy as hell at work. Considering I'm the last person in my department and one of the few people in the company that knows how to use our software, they know they're f****d. Even though they didn't counter offer to try and keep me, they did ask if I'd be willing to work on the side as a consultant to help them until they found someone to replace me. I'm actually considering it to make some extra cash and to help them out. This way I get to leave on good terms with them.

Have you approached them in such a manner which essentially says "Hey, give me a fair raise for what I do and you will not have to find someone new, I will continue working for you" ?

frozenrice
06-18-2010, 11:24 PM
At this point I've already made a commitment to the new company. I couldn't and wouldn't do that to them. Besides, it's not really about the money. All I want is opportunity to grow in experience. The money will come naturally when you grow. I'm not the kind that will demand money without proving that I can do the job. If they did offer more money, I doubt that I'd stick around only because I don't think they appreciated what I am capable of and treated me and my position as a "secretarial/administrative" position.

bignerd
06-23-2010, 12:15 AM
If you work as a "consultant" be sure to charge more than what they paid you...