PDA

View Full Version : Rental car after accident

Neil4Speed
06-11-2010, 11:28 AM
Long story short, I was hit in a parking lot by some chick who is now going though insurance.

I have already got an estimate for my car and believe it will be in the shop for around 3-4 days during this period I will be needing a rental car which I was told will be provided.

Now, not trying to make the best of a bad situation, but I want to know what I am entitled to. I drive a full size luxury coupe, are they going to give me a Cobalt to drive around for the period of time that my car is in the shop? Can I request a similar luxury car, is that typically how it goes?

Any insight would be appreciated.

rage2
06-11-2010, 11:36 AM
If the repair shop entitles you to a courtesy car, you can't get a rental car. There's usually a daily limit on rental cars. So ya, you'll be driving a beater.

HondaKid
06-11-2010, 11:38 AM
I was given a five year old Acura, TL I think. I thought it was rather nice, A-1 was the body shop. They had at least twenty loaner cars.

scat330
06-11-2010, 11:38 AM
Don't be jealous when you read this thread

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&postid=3391354#post3391354

He's driving a full sized, luxury sedan mind you.

Kloubek
06-11-2010, 11:45 AM
When I had my car in for repairs, they gave me the closest "comperable" vehicle to the one I had in the shop. But I figure this depends on the rules for any given insurance company; I doubt it is government regulated.

KK07
06-11-2010, 11:54 AM
I was t-boned at a red light in May and A-1 estimated they would need the car for at least 1 month (whole driver's side was smashed in).

The other guy's insurance company set me up for a rental with Enterprise, and when I went to go drop off the car at A-1, the lady at the desk was trying to force me to take one of A-1's loaner cars instead of the Enterprise ones. When I asked what I could choose from, they said all I could pick up was an older (02-03) Honda Civic. I drive an 04 RSX-S so I guess it would be different in your case.

Oh, also, after I went to Enterprise and asked for my rental, they gave me choices for either a Suzuki Swift, or a Hyundai Accent. I chose the Swift and after 3 days of driving that POS, I called the insurance company and complained that I didn't feel this car was comparable to mine so she sent me back to Enterprise to pick up a 2010 Mazda 3 which wasn't as bad.

adam c
06-11-2010, 11:58 AM
when my integra was in the shop for a month to fix a side panel after some guy backed into me, my insurance company got me a rental for the entire time and i got to choose what ever car i wanted that was currently in the parking lot

Started with a Buick Lucerne quite nice to drive actually, then since i was doing a lot of driving traded it for a gay little Yaris, only had that for a weekend then took it back and traded it for a Chrysler 300 for the remaining time

inline6turbo
06-11-2010, 12:05 PM
I got put in a PT Cruiser at Enterprise after I was rear ended. After whining about how obscenely terrible of a vehicle it was I got upped to an Altima. I quite liked it. I drove a Mustang lol

Hamann
06-11-2010, 12:08 PM
I was under the Impression they had to give you a comparable vehicle.

When my truck got rear ended I was given a brand new Silverado (09 with 18km on it) for the week.

When I called enterprise to set it up there was some problems, because they won't rent a truck to you if your under 25 but when I spoke with the manager he cleared it all up. In and out in under 5 Min with the keys.

trieuth
06-11-2010, 12:13 PM
If the shop has loaner cars, you don't have to take one. You can request one through enterprise as they deal mainly with insurance companies. If you take one through the shop, the courtesy car gets billed to the insurance company. So either way your insurance company is being billed for a rental, they could care less whether you take one from the shop or Enterprise. If you call the enterprise you're gonna get the car from and ask for something a bit nicer, they usually can set something aside that's a bit nicer.

adidas
06-11-2010, 12:14 PM
AMA gave me a limit of 35/day for a rental, anything that was more, i had to pay out of pocket.

KK07
06-11-2010, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by adidas
AMA gave me a limit of 35/day for a rental, anything that was more, i had to pay out of pocket.

I was told I had a limit of $35/day as well but when I called the insurance company again, they increased it to $50/day (I think) within minutes so I think if you complain enough, they'll listen.

narou
06-11-2010, 12:27 PM
I couldn't even get a rental because I was under 21. After complaining a bit and then getting my mom involved the let me rent a full size car.

dharminder
06-11-2010, 12:29 PM
I could be wrong but most insurance companys have a cap on the daily/weekly limit. Anything more then that would be out of pocket expense.

SilverGS
06-11-2010, 12:30 PM
When my SUV was in the shop they gave me a comparable SUV to drive. I am through Melocche Monex and I think my policy had no limit. I had the rental for 57 days and they paid all of it.

98type_r
06-11-2010, 12:40 PM
When I got into an accident in 06, i had a rental car for 31 days. The insurance company called me and said their coverage expired the day before and I was now liable to pay for the charges.
The guy at Enterprise felt bad about the situation and let me have the last day for free.

Enterprise :thumbsup:
Millennium Insurance :thumbsdow

Neil4Speed
06-11-2010, 12:53 PM
Thanks for all the input guys, The reason why I asked is I know a buddy of mine got a Cadillac when his IS300 got rear ended as his explanation was " 'Lexus' is considered a luxury brand and therefore they must give you the equivalent", but then my cousins Acura 3.2CL got hit and they gave him a Mazda (maybe Acura isn't a luxury marquee). I wasn't really too sure about this but wanted to see other peoples experiences.

I will push for a nicer car if possible, I would prefer not to drive around in an accent for a few days.

Thanks guys!

Masked Bandit
06-11-2010, 01:04 PM
You are ENTITLED to a vehicle of similar size / quality. Accept nothing less. Her insurance company is paying the tab so the cost is not an issue. Now that doesn't mean if you have a MB you get an MB, it might just be the nicest Buick they can come up with, but it has to be something relatively close.

Masked Bandit
06-11-2010, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by dharminder
I could be wrong but most insurance companys have a cap on the daily/weekly limit. Anything more then that would be out of pocket expense.

The Loss of Use cap (which may be different on each policy) only applies when you are at fault and you are using your own coverage. When your car is out of commission due to someone else's negligence then no limit applies.

scat330
06-11-2010, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed
Thanks for all the input guys, The reason why I asked is I know a buddy of mine got a Cadillac when his IS300 got rear ended as his explanation was " 'Lexus' is considered a luxury brand and therefore they must give you the equivalent", but then my cousins Acura 3.2CL got hit and they gave him a Mazda (maybe Acura isn't a luxury marquee). I wasn't really too sure about this but wanted to see other peoples experiences.

I will push for a nicer car if possible, I would prefer not to drive around in an accent for a few days.

Thanks guys!

Not trying to be a dick, but I was given a beat up old cavalier for my loaner after my first car accident in my BMW. I was just happy I could still get around!

Neil4Speed
06-11-2010, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by scat330

Not trying to be a dick, but I was given a beat up old cavalier for my loaner after my first car accident in my BMW. I was just happy I could still get around!

Not coming off as a dick as all, I think it may be the other way around lol.

This accident is a little more "personal" due to the circumstance. I was hit in a parking lot while writing an exam. The chick wrote a fake number and put it under my wiper. Luckily a witness caught the license place, otherwise I would be SOL. I just don't want to be puttering around in a accent because a shit person hit my car.

Thanks MaskedBandit for helping me out there, I will insist on something decent, I will take a Lucerne if they offer it lol.

scat330
06-11-2010, 01:57 PM
Can you pursue that in anyway? Hit and Run? Fake number? something to that effect?

Neil4Speed
06-11-2010, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by scat330
Can you pursue that in anyway? Hit and Run? Fake number? something to that effect?

You know I tried, I gave the police a copy of the note etc. Her actual number was off on the last 4 digits. And the Officer I spoke to knew this, its up to them now. I can't really push anything. If I had my way she would be behind bars.

In the end, my car is getting fixed, and I am happy with that. :)

SilverGS
06-11-2010, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit

The Loss of Use cap (which may be different on each policy) only applies when you are at fault and you are using your own coverage. When your car is out of commission due to someone else's negligence then no limit applies.

Must depend on the policy because my accident was my wife's fault so our insurance covered all damages but I still had no limit.

Jeremiah
06-11-2010, 05:45 PM
When my audi was in a shop the shop gave me a POS sunfire that was beat to shit. I complained up and down to the insurance company and they gave me a ford focus, but i really had to tell them how angry i was.

Audi ~ Beat 97 Sunfire that couldn't go over 90km/h apparently

spike98
06-11-2010, 06:02 PM
When i was rear ended in an accident my insurance company gave me a rental. It was a Nissan Versa. My god, it was the worse vehicle i have ever drove. I would certainly never buy one.

But i drove it to work every day and was damn glad i didnt have to walk.

Rusted Bumper
06-11-2010, 06:28 PM
If you're renting with Enterprise, I'd say push your insurer for luxury, but settle on premium if you have to. There is no reason for them to give you anything less, unless you have a daily/total maximum on your coverage that you would hit.

Every company is different. Some have low daily and total maximums. Some have no daily limit and you could spend three months in it and not hit your coverage max. There is even some that will make you a cash offer for rental coverage based on the appraisal time. You do with the cash as you like :burnout:

nrt_vw
06-11-2010, 06:45 PM
yeah i used to work for another rental company that primarily dealt with insurance replacements and if you kick and scream enough you can probably get into something decent. And the max usually depend on the insurance company and the deal they have with the rental company. Every insurance company is different

TT-fast
06-11-2010, 06:47 PM
ur sc400 got hit thats brutal i just got rear ended in my soarer about 2 weeks ago very minor damage, i hate parking lot accidents.

thats a shame beautiful car should be back to normal soon though?