PDA

View Full Version : Good Place to Buy a Turbo Timer and a Boost Controller?

SpeedStar
09-01-2002, 11:28 PM
Hey,

Does anyone know of a good place in town that I can buy a turbo timer and a boost controller at a reasonable price. I just upgraded my factory turbo on my Laser to a 16G and I want to crank up the boost and I hate sitting in my car for 3 mins waiting for the oil to cool off so I definitely need a turbo timer.

thanks!

nookmumracing
09-02-2002, 12:58 AM
Contemporary has a couple different brands in stock and their prices are reasonable. They are located in T & T Honda.

Peace

shadowz
09-02-2002, 04:13 AM
Ask for Greg hes got Apex and greddy in stock

LaserRS
09-02-2002, 08:54 AM
You sit in your car waiting for the turbo to cool off? With the engine running? Now that makes sense. Is it still water cooled?
I was told by the place that rebuilt my turbocharger that with most turbos being water cooled and with modern oils, turbo coking is a thing of the past, and all the timers do is waste gas and look cool. They said most turbo failures on dsm's were due to a defective bypass valve or dirty oil, and not anything to do with temperature after driving, if you have dirty oil, all a timer does is push more dirty oil through the turbo which oddly enough would just wear it out faster.:banghead:
They also told me that waiting for the turbo to spin down is total malarky, the turbo will just slow down to given speed, but it doesn't stop at idle. They showed me a some older style turbos from diesels that were just oil lubed and not water cooled, they had a small tank on top of them to store oil that is fed to the turbo after the motor is shut off, which makes more sense.

DSM Power
09-02-2002, 11:00 AM
Speedstar - you didn't mention if you want a manual or electronic boost controller? :)

Originally posted by LaserRS
You sit in your car waiting for the turbo to cool off? With the engine running? Now that makes sense. Is it still water cooled?

Most DSM turbos are oil and water cooled. I've always let my car cool down before shutting it off. There is a debate on whether it "matters" or not... but I've had NO problems so I'll stick with my method. ;)

They said most turbo failures on dsm's were due to a defective bypass valve or dirty oil, and not anything to do with temperature after driving, if you have dirty oil, all a timer does is push more dirty oil through the turbo which oddly enough would just wear it out faster.:banghead:

Meh, I disagree. I think most turbo failures are due to lack of oil (starvation) or overboosting on a stock turbo leading to blown seals and what not.

They also told me that waiting for the turbo to spin down is total malarky, the turbo will just slow down to given speed, but it doesn't stop at idle.

Well I think they're wrong. A turbo does not spin at idle! :bullshit: Damn, what shop was that anyways? :rolleyes:

SpeedStar
09-02-2002, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by DSM Power
Speedstar - you didn't mention if you want a manual or electronic boost controller? :)

I would perfer a manual boost controller. Electronics are just a little too expensive, besides if it did want an electronic it would be the apex AVC-R which = $$$$ ;)

Originally posted by DSM power
Meh, I disagree. I think most turbo failures are due to lack of oil (starvation) or overboosting on a stock turbo leading to blown seals and what not.

Excactly what happened to my old 14b turbo, the previous owner must have had it a mad boost levels because the seals were blown in my turbo. And it ended up consuming sooo much oil it was nuts.

I really want to take car of my new 16g it was a big investment($900) so I want to do everything for proper turbo maintainence including changing oil religiously every 3 months or 3000kms and letting it cool down properly to avoid any complications.

So Contemporary is one place, any other places you would suggest?

DSM Power
09-02-2002, 11:12 PM
Well if you want an MBC, I highly recommend checking out http://www.boostcontroller.com - They have a couple of models, including the popular Joe P. and the new Hallman cockpit-mounted MBC (pretty slick). It's U.S. based but honestly they have the best prices I've seen. :thumbsup:

Alternatively, you could go with the Busta-boost controller which is sold by some guy on the ca.dsm.org board. :)

Redlyne_mr2
09-03-2002, 11:29 AM
diablo power products
403-346-7960
authorized apexi distributor so you dont have to deal with a middle man

Ralliart
09-03-2002, 11:50 AM
Well I think they're wrong. A turbo does not spin at idle! :bullshit: Damn, what shop was that anyways? :rolleyes: [/B]

Sorry a turbo does spin at idle on most cars, just very slowly couple hundred rpm maybe

but you still have to let it spool down to that before shuting off your engine

LaserRS
09-04-2002, 05:08 AM
Yes... Pull the inlet pipe to the turbo off with the car running and guess what, the turbo is spinning, and quickly , my guess is prolly a couple of 1000 rpm, and when the car stalls, the turbo stops pretty quickly, quick enough there is probably enough slop over in the oil supply tube to provide lubrication for the 5 seconds it spins.
I think letting the car cool down is not a bad idea, when I drive mine hard, I drive it back to its parking spot pretty calmly just to let it cool down, my owners manual warns against prolonged idling, and clearly says is not needed.
I see alot of people with non turbo cars with turbo timers, that tells me they are more of a fashion than a neccesity. It seems its more of how much shit you can jam onto your dashbaord than how much faster it makes the car. :barf:
The shop that told me that about turbos was called Gsi or Gci fuel systems(?) or something like that, I can't find my reciept right now. I am more inclined to believe their advice over what I read on a internet forum.:confused:

DSM Power
09-04-2002, 05:21 PM
Ha ha, I don't know what I was smoking when I posted that but you guys are right. :nut: :banghead:

Oh well, I stand by what I said about the typical causes of turbo failure. :angel: