PDA

View Full Version : roof leaking and mold check ?

slcchyd
06-11-2010, 10:30 PM
Dear beyonders;

We bought a new home with a new home warranty from a small builder In February. During the rainy weather in the last couple of weeks, the roof suddenly leak and the builder was called on site to fix the problem. Right now, we are just waiting next raining days to check if this issue is fixed or not.
Here are my questions regarding to this incident:

1)Can I ask him extend the roof warranty?
2)Is there any measure can be taken to check mold inside building (right now it is invisible)? Should I cut the dry wall from leaking area to do so?

Thanks in advance.

Speed_Dreams
06-11-2010, 10:40 PM
mold needs 5 things to grow , zero air movment , perfect temp ( 72* F ) , darkness , organic food source and moisture

if you take away 1 of those things mold will not grow

also house hold mold takes approx 72 hours to start to colonize

what i would do is make sure there is air moving on both sides of the drywall , weather if be placing a fan in your attic or whatever , that will be your greatest chance of stopping mold growth. Once the area is dry there should be no worries of growth

you can also clean the area with "benifect" or "microban" these are antimicrobial cleaners that SUPPRESS or RETARD antimicrobial growth.'

You cannot "kill" mold cause its everywhere , but you can keep it from growing on your shit

barmanjay
06-12-2010, 12:24 AM
I will PM you my home inspectors name and number

He was deemed one of the BEST in Alberta by mr. holmes himself.

Thermal imaging will tell you if there is still moisture coming through your roof.

You won't be able to get the warranty extended

InRich
06-12-2010, 04:31 PM
which builder is this?