PDA

View Full Version : Cookware

RY213
06-12-2010, 02:06 PM
I am looking at buying some new cookware in the next few weeks, or maybe sooner. I noticed Home Outfitter has the Jamie Oliver Professional series sets for $279 right now. Does anybody here own this set?
I also saw in another thread that someone recommended against buying a set and instead putting the money toward a few pieces of really good cookware like All-Clad. I am far from being a professional chef, and im not sure if i really need expensive top of the line pots and pans. On the other hand im the type of person that likes to buy quality items that last a long time.
I guess im just looking for some opinions on what you guys use. Is the Jamie Oliver set good enough for general use by a casual cook?

BlackArcher101
06-12-2010, 02:10 PM
I have the Jamie Oliver set. It's great and at that price, it's a steal.

Heavy thickness stainless steel FTW.

dj_rice
06-12-2010, 02:16 PM
They have nice sets at Costco, I think its a Lagostina brand. I've had them for 2 years now and they're going strong.

There was a test on some WTV show, Shopping bags or something, they did a review of pans, from Jamie Ollivers T-Fal to Gordon Ramsays stuff and etc. Both the Gordon And Jamie were at the bottom compared to 3 other name brands.

http://www.costco.ca/Common/Category.aspx?whse=BCCA&Ne=4000000&eCat=BCCA|20442|267&N=4009609&No=0&Nr=P_CatalogName:BCCA&cat=208&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-CA&topnav=

Costco's pricing is competitive and their warranty is bar none

kaput
06-12-2010, 02:17 PM

Amysicle
06-12-2010, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice
They have nice sets at Costco, I think its a Lagostina brand. I've had them for 2 years now and they're going strong.

There was a test on some WTV show, Shopping bags or something, they did a review of pans, from Jamie Ollivers T-Fal to Gordon Ramsays stuff and etc. Both the Gordon And Jamie were at the bottom compared to 3 other name brands.

http://www.costco.ca/Common/Category.aspx?whse=BCCA&Ne=4000000&eCat=BCCA|20442|267&N=4009609&No=0&Nr=P_CatalogName:BCCA&cat=208&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-CA&topnav=

Costco's pricing is competitive and their warranty is bar none This is the review he's talking about: http://www.wnetwork.com/Shows/The-Shopping-Bags/ProductReviews/Pots-Pans.aspx

Look at the flyer and looking up the specs, it looks like it has an aluminum core to help conduct heat, which is good. I would recommend seeing if you can hold the pieces in person to make sure it's not too heavy or if it's cheap feeling to you.

RY213
06-12-2010, 02:44 PM
Thanks for the quick responses guys. I have read conflicting reviews on the JO Pro set. Some people have said that they are great quality and the best out of all the "tv chef" cookware, and others have said that they may warp and have hot spots, and the finish doesnt look good over time.

HondaKid
06-12-2010, 02:54 PM
The Bay had some great prices (40-60% off) on all their cookware, all the major names are available. This was last week, so maybe call to confirm the sale is still on.

RY213
06-12-2010, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by HondaKid
The Bay had some great prices (40-60% off) on all their cookware, all the major names are available. This was last week, so maybe call to confirm the sale is still on.

Nope that ended last Sunday. They had the same JO Pro 11 piece set for $399 which was half price. The Bay always has these types of sales on cookware, it would be foolish to pay full price on a set...

drew_goring
06-14-2010, 07:31 PM
The Kirkland brand sets are nice. Felt a little more solid than the similarly priced Lagostina set they had.

ExtraSlow
06-14-2010, 08:21 PM
For what it's worth, you'll probably find that you use three or four pieces 95% of the time. Those guys suggesting you buy open stock are speaking from experience.
I have an All-Clad 13' saute pan that I use non-stop, and it was about $150. That's a lot of money to spend on one pan, but it's usable as bake ware too, so it's sort of two pans in one.

Anyway, get fewer, better pieces and you'll be happier, plus you will have more room in your cupboards.
I have two mediocre sets, and I avoid them as much as possible. Just not a joy to use like the All-Clad.

RY213
06-14-2010, 11:45 PM
I ended up buying the set, for $279 I couldnt go wrong. So far I love it, its inspiring me to cook more often...

sh0ko
06-15-2010, 07:37 AM
i found the CURTIS STONE was quite a bit nicer... 200 for the 8 piece set.. originally 650 or something.... =)

but either way both are nice

http://www.curtisstone.com/Kitchen-Products/Cookware/Curtis-Stone-Stainless-Steel-Cookware-Set-8-piece.aspx

inside is all measurement lines as well..nice chopping boards as well

msommers
06-15-2010, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
For what it's worth, you'll probably find that you use three or four pieces 95% of the time. Those guys suggesting you buy open stock are speaking from experience.
I have an All-Clad 13' saute pan that I use non-stop, and it was about $150. That's a lot of money to spend on one pan, but it's usable as bake ware too, so it's sort of two pans in one.

Anyway, get fewer, better pieces and you'll be happier, plus you will have more room in your cupboards.
I have two mediocre sets, and I avoid them as much as possible. Just not a joy to use like the All-Clad.

What do you notice that makes them 'better'? I'll be looking at getting pots/pans soon enough.

Mitsu3000gt
06-15-2010, 03:34 PM
From what I could tell, buying separately doesn't get you any significantly better product than just buying a big set and using a few pieces of it. It's way cheaper to buy the set rather than pots at $150/piece for even just 3.

Unless you are a professional chef I doubt you could ever tell the difference.

There is some significant differences between the Lagostina sets and similar stuff that you see at Canadian Tire, Bay, Sears, etc. for 70% off. Even though they are the same price, some are twice as heavy, have nice thick bottoms, ergonomic handles, etc. You just need to look around a bit. After you find one you like, just buy one of the big sets for $200 or whatever and be done with it. You will also find the sets are structured differently, some have frying pans, some don't, some have steamers, some don't, so you can tailor it to what you will use most.

If you want to spend a lot of money on cooking supplies, you will probably appreciate a nice knife a lot more than a $200 pot IMO. Best thing I ever did for my cooking was buy an awesome knife because I want to use it all the time haha.

Also, the frying pans that come with the sets are crap anyways because they are stainless steel and everything sticks to them. You're better off just getting a good non-stick pan when they go on sale from $100 down to like $20 at Canadian Tire or similar.

I remember my parents had 5 or 6 sets at their house when they were buying pots, ranging from $150-$1000. The best set, by far, was a $250 Lagostina set from The Bay. Much sturdier than the rest, better handles, thick, flat bottoms, very even cooking, worked with induction, etc. The Jamie Oliver set is good too but you're paying for the name.

lint
06-15-2010, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
From what I could tell, buying separately doesn't get you any significantly better product than just buying a big set and using a few pieces of it. It's way cheaper to buy the set rather than pots at $150/piece for even just 3.

Unless you are a professional chef I doubt you could ever tell the difference.

There is some significant differences between the Lagostina sets and similar stuff that you see at Canadian Tire, Bay, Sears, etc. for 70% off. Even though they are the same price, some are twice as heavy, have nice thick bottoms, ergonomic handles, etc. You just need to look around a bit. After you find one you like, just buy one of the big sets for $200 or whatever and be done with it. You will also find the sets are structured differently, some have frying pans, some don't, some have steamers, some don't, so you can tailor it to what you will use most.

If you want to spend a lot of money on cooking supplies, you will probably appreciate a nice knife a lot more than a $200 pot IMO. Best thing I ever did for my cooking was buy an awesome knife because I want to use it all the time haha.

Also, the frying pans that come with the sets are crap anyways because they are stainless steel and everything sticks to them. You're better off just getting a good non-stick pan when they go on sale from $100 down to like $20 at Canadian Tire or similar.

I remember my parents had 5 or 6 sets at their house when they were buying pots, ranging from $150-$1000. The best set, by far, was a $250 Lagostina set from The Bay. Much sturdier than the rest, better handles, thick, flat bottoms, very even cooking, worked with induction, etc. The Jamie Oliver set is good too but you're paying for the name.

You should really have spent as much time researching cookware as you did knives.

Pacman
06-16-2010, 12:35 PM
If you are ever in the US, you can check the outlet stores.

I bought 3 Calphalon infused anodized pieces (2 pots and 1 pan) for $20 each (each had an MSRP of close to $200). They were a little scratched on the handles and had some minor scratches on the sides...but nothing major.