PDA

View Full Version : Who sells Jack Daniels smoker chips

C_Dave45
06-12-2010, 10:21 PM
I bought a bag of Jack Daniels wood smoking chips from Bass Pro last time I did some smoking. I'm doing some more ribs tomorrow...does anyone know of somewhere in town that sells them? I checked Co-Op...

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/CalgaryDave/BBQ%20Ribs/IMG_8609.jpg

theken
06-12-2010, 11:20 PM
Canadian tire has the pellets. Wholesale sports should have em. Or any bbq place

Cos
06-13-2010, 08:34 AM
try calling the bbq place on edmonton trail near Pro-Am. Never seen them there but I remember they used to have a big selection of accessories.

cookiemunster
06-13-2010, 09:01 AM
its called Barbecues Galore... there is also a location on Macleod

http://www.barbecuesgalore.ca/

C_Dave45
06-13-2010, 11:51 AM
Damnit. Tried everywhere this morning.
Canadian tire: nope
Wholesale sports: nope
BBQ's Galore; only had the pellets...they've never even heard of the chips.

sputnik
06-13-2010, 03:08 PM
Bass Pro Shops has them.

Bit of a drive, but they are there if you still cant find them.

nonlinear
06-13-2010, 03:19 PM
it looks like these are made from old whiskey barrels. cool! can you smell/taste a difference in the smoke?

trieuth
06-13-2010, 03:33 PM
i bought some at home depot a few weeks ago. they should have them still

C_Dave45
06-13-2010, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by nonlinear
it looks like these are made from old whiskey barrels. cool! can you smell/taste a difference in the smoke?

My last rib smoking...the whole neighbourhood smelled of Jack Daniels and burning oak....they're amazing!!

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/285902/smoked-ribs/

ukr boy
06-15-2010, 03:45 PM
Bon Ton Meat Market sells them for sure. It's across 16th ave from Foothills Hospital

bignerd
06-28-2010, 12:35 AM
Just saw these advertised in the Walmart flyer of all places...

teknical
07-06-2010, 06:36 PM
Wal-Mart only had the pellets I believe. I made a trip out to Bass Pros last week and stocked up :thumbsup:

spikerS
07-07-2010, 09:29 AM
yeah, bass pro is the only place I know of dave that has the actual JD chips. but for $5 a bag, pick up 10 bags and you are good for quite awhile, also if you are using a charcoal BBQ, the cowboy charcoal they have is not bad for $12 a 20lb bag.

Dave, we should really get together for a BBQ and share recipes and shit. I got my new BBQ and damn, am I getting some tasty food off of it.

The_Rural_Juror
07-07-2010, 09:35 AM
I tried the pellets last night and was sorely disappointed. I'm new to this. What's the wood vs pellet argument?

spikerS
07-07-2010, 09:56 AM
pellets are basically just compressed sawdust and burn horribly in a BBQ and usually too fast.

wood chips, burn slower and are able to give off a lot more smoke.

Pellets have their place, but usually only in electric smokers, same with pucks.

The_Rural_Juror
07-07-2010, 10:03 AM
Thanks! Which new bbq did you get?

teknical
07-07-2010, 10:05 AM
I'm no expert but I believe the pellets need to be added frequently as they burn up too quick. They also can't be pre-soaked otherwise they get soggy.

EDIT: Spikers beat me to it.

I used the water bowl that came with my smoker to soak the JD chips. I then strained and put them directly on the charcoal. The water went a brownish after soaking for about an hour, so it was left in the water dish and put back in the smoker.

spikerS
07-07-2010, 10:13 AM
Paging r3ccos to come and say how bad it is lol.

I picked up a Char-griller Smoking Pro for $241 and change from Barbecues Galore. Pretty decent unit for the price, and I have been smoking some awesome meats on it.

http://www.charcoalgrillssmokers.com/imgs/CG010.jpg

R3ccos will recommend the Webber Smokey Mountain cooker. Nice bullet smoker, but crazy prices.

http://z.about.com/d/bbq/1/0/4/V/my_weber_smokey_mountain.JPG

teknical
07-07-2010, 10:22 AM
I picked up the 18" Smokey Mountain about a week ago from Barbecue's Galore. Unfortunately I've only had a chance to use it once :(

The_Rural_Juror
07-07-2010, 10:33 AM
Do you re-use the wood chips?

spikerS
07-07-2010, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by teknical
I picked up the 18" Smokey Mountain about a week ago from Barbecue's Galore. Unfortunately I've only had a chance to use it once :(

They are nice, and do a good job, but I think they are kinda pricey for what they are. You will like it tho, and if you decide you don't like it, let me know, I may offer to buy it from you to replace one of my ECBs at competition.

Originally posted by The_Rural_Juror
Do you re-use the wood chips?

Not unless you know a way of converting ash back into solid wood.

The_Rural_Juror
07-07-2010, 11:34 AM
The wood chips don't really look that burned up in the tin foil. I must be doing something wrong.

sputnik
07-07-2010, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by The_Rural_Juror
The wood chips don't really look that burned up in the tin foil. I must be doing something wrong.

Your heat is too low or your chips are too wet.

I usually have my chips 1/2 wet with 1/2 dry on top and my heat set at medium to start and then turned down once the meat goes in.

princeaidin
07-09-2010, 04:22 PM
wait can these wood chips be used in a natural gas bbq or is it just charcoal and smokers.

princeaidin
07-09-2010, 04:25 PM
by the way wouldnt wood charcoal do the same thing?

spikerS
07-09-2010, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by princeaidin
wait can these wood chips be used in a natural gas bbq or is it just charcoal and smokers.

You can, but you need a smoker box that holds the chips, or wrap them in tin foil, other wise, ash gets everywhere. another problem is alot of LP BBQs cook too hot even at their lowest settings to really benefit from the smoke.

Originally posted by princeaidin
by the way wouldnt wood charcoal do the same thing?

Depending on the wood charcoal, kind of. charcoal is just burnt wood. some cooks will cook over their smoking wood, like use peach logs and peach chips. the logs won't smoke much, just burns at a constant temp, the wood chunks and chips, you soak them in water so that they do give off smoke instead of combusting, but once they dry, they are just like any other wood.

dirtsniffer
07-18-2010, 01:07 PM
looking for some help from you guys here. I have a small LP grill and going to try some smoking tonight for the first time and I have some questions.
1. Can i buy would chips anywhere? Its my first time so I don't really care about quality.

2. I mix 1/2 soaked chips with 1/2 dry chips in a tinfoil container with some holes, sound right?

3. Will one bag of chips be enough to smoke a small brisket?

4. low/medium heat on the side of the grill with the chips, no heat on side with meat, correct?

any more tips for a newb would be cool, but I'm a poor student so please try to keep them cheap (not looking to buy much of anything) thanks for the help guys!

spikerS
07-18-2010, 09:34 PM
you pretty much got it, lots of holes in the top, and try not to have any on the bottom to keep all the ash in the tinfoil.

Best to have all the chips soaked, they last longer, and generate more flavoring smoke longer.

put an oven thermomiter in the grille, and try to get it to a steady 225-250. Most grilles have a hard time being in that range, and will be alot higher. try to only have one burner going, as far away from the meat as possible, and put the chips and tinfoil as close to the flame as possible, best is to have the flames licking the tinfoil. and keep a few tin foil trays of chips handy. My last brisket was cooked for almost 13 hours.

best you can do, is just give it a try, and see what works best.

as a FYI, bass pro sells the ECB smokers for $50, and is a great smoker to cut your teeth on.

r3ccOs
07-20-2010, 08:22 AM
I have yet to see many people have success with smoking on any gas grill... I've tried and failed, and I think I generally know what I'm doing.

Adding wood smoke to some food, and smoking I think are 2 very different things. But mostly just the way a grill works, the lid is really only there to cover the food, as its not a oven door, and this usually results in temperature variations when trying to cook indirectly.

Charcoal is not the most convenient method, but when you learn to manage the heat, from low & slow to blazing hot, you'll never look back (well unless the wife likes to be able to pushbutton grill her veggies)
Not only that, the flavor you get from eating food cooked off lump charcoal is just unmatched.

Wood smoke - the type of wood does make a difference yes... but Hickory is pretty much the standard. What I mean is, all decent tasking woods, regardless of fruit or not, usually kinda has a simular smell and taste. Fruit wood won't necessarially impart a true "sweetness" but does add certain mellow elements, can can be pleasant.
As I use charcoal primarially... I prefer wood chunks for long cooks. They burn more even throughout the cook, dont need to be soaked and don't "flame" over causing that bad tasting smoke.

@ the end of the day... cook to your preference :)

Oh to mention again, the Weber Kettle does a darn good job at being the most versatile machine...
I fired mine up yesterday to do 4 racks of baby backs, and they turned out fantastic.