PDA

View Full Version : Prelude Timing Belt Help!!!!

AK47
06-13-2010, 03:24 PM
got a 2001 prelude se with 93 000 kms on it. My mechanic buddy tells me the timing belt needs to be done at 100 000km and not over it. also with it the balancer, hydraulic tensioner oil cooler seal and also the water pump. just wondering are ALL of these really necessary to be done with the timing belt?Does it have to be at 100 000km or can I drive it just a little bit more then get it done. Just need to know from any other prelude owners out there what they did at 100 000km and give me some feedback,thanks guys.

Kloubek
06-13-2010, 03:30 PM
100,000 isn't a magical number. Sometimes a timing belt will die before that figure, but more likely you just increase your chances of it dying around 100k.

You don't NEED to replace the other things. They are suggested because you have the engine cracked open anyway and they are by far easier to access at that time. Plus, the useful life of said items are limited, and you can expect they will need replacing in the future anyway.

I've seen vehicles last well beyond their suggested timing belt replacement interval. However, the longer you drive without having it changed, the more risk you take. All Preludes have interference engines, so don't think if the timing belt snaps that you'll be ok. You'll more or less need a new engine, or a heavy rebuild. Spending a few hundred is usually a good idea on all but the very cheapest of cars.

CHICHARITZHI
06-13-2010, 03:37 PM
100,000 km just the balancer belt and timing belt
200,000 km balancer belt, timing belt, tensioner , water pump..

anhsicun
06-13-2010, 09:51 PM
most prelude owners ( referring to www.hondaprelude.to ) do it at 100,000 km if u drive it all year round. when ur doing the timing belt for the prelude most get the water pump, and tensioner done to since it will save u in labour cost to get them done at once. also most people change to a manual tensioner since it will last longer. also if ur timing belt snaps its about 3,000 to fix, so if i weight it out it cheaper to get the maintenance done. if u need any more info go to www.hondaprelude.to alot great resources there.

AE92_TreunoSC
06-13-2010, 09:55 PM
its nearly 10 years old and depending on the acidic strength of the coolant your water pump is ready to leak anyway.

My shop always recommends doing the bearings and pump simply because its cheaper then doing it a year down the road.

Change the water pump, belt bearings, timing belt, and the valve cover gasket.

I've seen most belts break on hondas at the 15 year mark, or the 150,000kms mark.

Belts age as well, you cant go based on km's all the time.

rc2002
06-14-2010, 12:26 PM
Water pump and timing belt/balance shaft belt were done on both of my Preludes at 100,000km.

The water pump is under two hundred bucks. Might as well change it out while you have everything open.

The first time I had the seals (cam and crank) changed, but in hindsight was probably overkill. The second time it was dry inside the cover and there were no signs of leaking so I decided not to.

Tensioner looked like it was fine to go another 100,000km. I'd probably change out the tensioner and seals and bearings at the 200,000km mark if I still own the car.

911fever
06-14-2010, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
Water pump and timing belt/balance shaft belt were done on both of my Preludes at 100,000km.

The water pump is under two hundred bucks. Might as well change it out while you have everything open.

The first time I had the seals (cam and crank) changed, but in hindsight was probably overkill. The second time it was dry inside the cover and there were no signs of leaking so I decided not to.

Tensioner looked like it was fine to go another 100,000km. I'd probably change out the tensioner and seals and bearings at the 200,000km mark if I still own the car.

perfect QFT