PDA

View Full Version : Central air Conditioner problem

zuniokinz
06-13-2010, 06:54 PM
Hey guys,

I have a 2 year old R410a 3.5 TON system in my house. It worked fine for 2 years including a few times this season. Last week I noticed the system was short cycling (turning on for 15 seconds, then off for 20 seconds, then on for 15 seconds again).

I determined the issue to be the low pressure switch tripping. Most of the time, this indicated low refrigerant and a leak.

I made sure the condensor fins are clean, the coil in the air plennum is clean, change to a high flow air filter in the furnace etc.. but problem is still there.

Is there any HVAC experts here that can chip in on this?

I don't have a manifold with pressure gauges to test the charge.

Any HVAC people on here that do side jobs?

Darell_n
06-13-2010, 08:07 PM
Sounds like you are on the right path. The only thing left is to verify the pressure switch is good via actual pressures and for someone to check the system with a leak detector. I will do this if you happen to live in Cochrane, but I try to avoid Calgary on my spare time at all costs.

zuniokinz
06-13-2010, 09:16 PM
thanks. I'm in SW Calgary...

BTW what do they normally charge for 1lbs of R410A?

Someone told me $40/lbs but I found a 25lbs canister of virgin R410A for $229US + $35 shipping...??

Darell_n
06-13-2010, 09:36 PM
That sounds about right. The markup for refrigerant is extremely high. (not as bad as dealerships, though) It is also not legal to purchase gas in Canada without certification and trying to import will equal massive tariffs and smuggling treated similar to heroin. Best bet is to make friends with someone and offer cash or trade for the real cost of the gas. Most techs won't give a shit about markup for their truck stock.