PDA

View Full Version : BBSs!

hampstor
12-15-2003, 12:46 AM
Does anyone know of any telnet based BBS's around today? I've had this itching to play BRE and LORD :nut:

Kenny put your BBS back up for beyond members! it can be just like in the good ol' digitech days :burnout:

kenny
12-15-2003, 12:58 AM
BRE and LORD wow... hahah those games took up so much of my time back in the day lol. good ol' digitech bbs =)

hampstor
12-15-2003, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by kenny
BRE and LORD wow... hahah those games took up so much of my time back in the day lol. good ol' digitech bbs =)

yeah... i even remember ripping off your ideas/ANSis :D

c'mon, put a bbs back up! feed that addiction to BRE and LORD again!

rage2
12-15-2003, 01:25 AM
a lot of the 403 bbs'ers and SysOps are on beyond :).

http://bbslist.textfiles.com/403/

I spot 4 members on that list hehe. Probably a few others that I dunno about.

hampstor
12-15-2003, 01:40 AM
CALGARY, CANADA Digital Technologies BBS
(1994-1996) Kenneth Chan

MUHAHHA! The good old days. Funny how I'm not listed on that website...

Khyron
12-15-2003, 02:02 AM
Nuke still has a BBS running for 5 bucks a month I think. bbs.nucleus.com

I miss fidonet. Calgary Chatter anyone? :)

Khyron

nismodrifter
12-15-2003, 02:32 AM
anybody mind explaining what a bbs is?? I never really understood what they are...

D'z Nutz
12-15-2003, 04:09 AM
Originally posted by nismodrifter
anybody mind explaining what a bbs is?? I never really understood what they are...

Bulletin Board System. Kinda like the internet... before there was internet ;)

James
12-15-2003, 04:28 AM
I clicked on the link thinking of BBS wheels, then was like WTF are they talking about! ......didnt realize it was in the "Computers, Consoles, and other Electronics "....fuck :rofl:

googe
12-15-2003, 05:26 AM
i had a bbs for a while, i was addicted to LORD, so i got very good at it, but being a sysop and winning in LORD = cheater of course :(

4wheeldrift
12-15-2003, 07:54 AM
I can't believe any of these are still around :rofl: I used to frequent a couple back in high school. You can usually find copies of the games easily enough on the internet, they don't require much setup if its just you using them.

Shaolin
12-15-2003, 08:10 AM
YOU'RE KENNETH CHAN? Do you remember a board called Exodus? I ran that board!

I miss the Multi-Board BRE.

Ahh yes, FidoNet, my first experience with email. I remember getting Frontdoor to work was hard as hell. Downloading that nodelist? cripes, that took forever too. Oh the memories.

EDIT: I just took a look at that list.. remember alot of old Sysops I use to talk to during those days, weird that I'm not on that list..

hampstor
12-15-2003, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by Shaolin
YOU'RE KENNETH CHAN? Do you remember a board called Exodus? I ran that board!

I miss the Multi-Board BRE.

Ahh yes, FidoNet, my first experience with email. I remember getting Frontdoor to work was hard as hell. Downloading that nodelist? cripes, that took forever too. Oh the memories.

EDIT: I just took a look at that list.. remember alot of old Sysops I use to talk to during those days, weird that I'm not on that list..

I'm not Kenneth Chan :D

though Ken definately remembers me and Ayman. I ran No Limits!

hampstor
12-15-2003, 09:19 AM

FD was a nightmare for me the first time!! I couldnt figure out what to do with all those 'error level exists' in RemoteAccess. Good ol' interplanetary BRE!!

rage2
12-15-2003, 10:31 AM
I got banned off Fidonet ;). That Fred Towner guy didn't like me haha. Let's just say he called the RCMP and they paid a visit to my house when I was like 14 :rofl:.

My board went from RA, to PCBoard, to my own BBS software that I wrote. I ran Boombastic Line (the dates are wrong on the site). I also wrote a lot of the batch files for my friend's BBS, Badger's Hole.

Khyron
12-15-2003, 11:47 AM
Ha I remember calling Badgers hole.

Ride the BlueWave!

Khyron

Shaolin
12-15-2003, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by hampstor

I'm not Kenneth Chan :D

though Ken definately remembers me and Ayman. I ran No Limits!

I know you're not Kenneth Chan, I was talking to Kenny :D

You ran No Limit eh? I remember you.. don't know if you remember me. I talked to you a couple of times on the phone back in the day.. You're Minh right? I remember you calling me up one day asking to buy my 2400 baud modem because you were thinking about giving it away to one of your users..

FD was brutal, I don't remember how many hours I've spent trying to get that to work.. The Interplanetary BRE were the best.. I remember tulit on here used to run Compu-Link and had Interplanetary BRE.. I doubt any of you guys remember me though :D

Man, brings back the memories of high school BBS'in.

Shaolin
12-15-2003, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by rage2
I got banned off Fidonet ;). That Fred Towner guy didn't like me haha. Let's just say he called the RCMP and they paid a visit to my house when I was like 14 :rofl:.

My board went from RA, to PCBoard, to my own BBS software that I wrote. I ran Boombastic Line (the dates are wrong on the site). I also wrote a lot of the batch files for my friend's BBS, Badger's Hole.

Really? I was a regular visitor of Badger's Hole, I remember he had 2 lines for that board. I think he was the first BBS in calgary that tested the board out under Windows 95???

kenny
12-15-2003, 01:15 PM
FD wasn't overly difficult to install and run, but then again I had a really good understanding of .bat files and had a really complex one done up for my BBS.

IP BRE was the biggest time killer there was. There was that other game, Trade Wars or something that alot of people got into but I found a bit boring.

Khyron
12-15-2003, 03:42 PM
Major Mud baby.

Khyron surprise slashes you for 145 damage!
You are dead.

Khyron

rage2
12-15-2003, 03:50 PM
Really? I was a regular visitor of Badger's Hole, I remember he had 2 lines for that board. I think he was the first BBS in calgary that tested the board out under Windows 95???
Actually the board ran forever under desqview. I don't think it ever ran under windows AFAIK. I know I ran my BBS under win95 but it crashed a lot. It could also be my buggy code, because at that time I was trying to move completely onto my own BBS software that I wrote.

Badger's hole was one of the first 14.4k BBS's in Calgary. Martin got the 14.4k HST modem from US Robotics for a whopping low price of $1200 through their SysOp discount program.

NickGT
12-15-2003, 03:53 PM
MajorMud was definitely the most addictive game I've ever played. I've run multiple worldgroup bbs'. Still have all my software around here somewhere. =)

rage2
12-15-2003, 03:54 PM
I know I ran my BBS under win95 but it crashed a lot. It could also be my buggy code, because at that time I was trying to move completely onto my own BBS software that I wrote.
Correction... that was Windows 3.11 for Workgroups. By Win95, it was all internet for me :).

rage2
12-15-2003, 03:55 PM
If anyone still has their BBS software along with the Doors that they wanna install, put it together and ZIP it up. I'll host it on one of my servers :).

NickGT
12-15-2003, 04:43 PM
check pm's

sexualbanana
12-15-2003, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by kenny
FD wasn't overly difficult to install and run, but then again I had a really good understanding of .bat files and had a really complex one done up for my BBS.

IP BRE was the biggest time killer there was. There was that other game, Trade Wars or something that alot of people got into but I found a bit boring.

I remember trade wars! i played that back in the day too. when nucleus was a bbs. those were fun times.

Shaolin
12-15-2003, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by Khyron
Major Mud baby.

Khyron surprise slashes you for 145 damage!
You are dead.

Khyron

What board did you play MajorMud on? I was a MMud addict as well.. before MMTerm and all that other jazz, played that shit by hand.. my god.

Before MMud I played lots of Mutants.

NickGT
12-15-2003, 06:06 PM

What board did you play MajorMud on? I was a MMud addict as well.. before MMTerm and all that other jazz, played that shit by hand.. my god.

Before MMud I played lots of Mutants.

ah the days of genesis/nexus...

I remember you hooking me up with simple scripts for Telix/Telemate... although we were always close to the keys =) They didn't like having their dial-up lines tied up by people who weren't even there!

Shaolin
12-15-2003, 06:25 PM
yeah it was great.. I can't imagine anyone playing that game by hand now.. unless you have way too much time on your hands.

Weapon_R
12-15-2003, 07:12 PM
Rage2: Can you put LORD here :D

hampstor
12-15-2003, 09:15 PM

I know you're not Kenneth Chan, I was talking to Kenny :D

You ran No Limit eh? I remember you.. don't know if you remember me. I talked to you a couple of times on the phone back in the day.. You're Minh right? I remember you calling me up one day asking to buy my 2400 baud modem because you were thinking about giving it away to one of your users..

FD was brutal, I don't remember how many hours I've spent trying to get that to work.. The Interplanetary BRE were the best.. I remember tulit on here used to run Compu-Link and had Interplanetary BRE.. I doubt any of you guys remember me though :D

Man, brings back the memories of high school BBS'in.

I remember talking to you about that 2400baud modem! I think it was cause one of my users wrecked his modem and I had to find him one. I don't remember your name though ... Yes it's me, Minh :)

Khyron
12-15-2003, 09:41 PM
yeah it was great.. I can't imagine anyone playing that game by hand now.. unless you have way too much time on your hands.

Legolas Greenleaf - Courser of Raging Inferno (genesys/nexus)
Legolas Greenleaf - Master of Lords of Discipline (nuke)

Plus about 10 other incarnations (before LotR was considered... cool.)

Actually - check my domain on my email. :D

Khyron

http://www.nexus-point.net/major/Nextof.html

http://www.nexus-point.net/major/reeled.gif

kenny
12-15-2003, 09:49 PM
Hmm I ran under Desqview as well, that program was awesome! Made life so nice until windows 95 came along.

Shaolin
12-15-2003, 10:22 PM

Khyron

hahah, Geo! You remember me? I was the MeetOp of Nexes/Genesis.

EDIT: I just checked your link.. that was when Nexes was linked with Jungle BBS in Jersey right? I remember Nextof, that tool.

NickGT
12-15-2003, 10:27 PM

Khyron

Holy I remember you too.

My handle was Slash on Nexus.

E36M3
12-15-2003, 11:03 PM
God this crap makes me feel old.

Your "Fred Flinstone" rant was totally classic though.

a lot of the 403 bbs'ers and SysOps are on beyond :).

http://bbslist.textfiles.com/403/

I spot 4 members on that list hehe. Probably a few others that I dunno about.

Khyron
12-15-2003, 11:10 PM

hahah, Geo! You remember me? I was the MeetOp of Nexes/Genesis.

EDIT: I just checked your link.. that was when Nexes was linked with Jungle BBS in Jersey right? I remember Nextof, that tool.

Yep - linked to jungle with Guen etc. DIAMOND of Treasure Trove! lol. Who were you? Henry?!? Fawk I totally remember Slash.

3. Slash AndHackYouToBits Witchunter ArkimedeanDynasty 4742850 :D

And who was the girl that was always at the meets? Her mud handle was Vemtira SarsSpankinWench

Sean (Sysop/owner of nexus) worked with me at Cadvision for awhile until those charges fucked up his life.

You know I think that as all the BBSers got older they just moved to cars.

Khyron

rage2
12-15-2003, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by E36M3
God this crap makes me feel old.

Your "Fred Flinstone" rant was totally classic though.

haha shit, I totally forgot about that. Yea, I had my moments back in the day. Rebel geek baby! :rofl:

NickGT
12-15-2003, 11:16 PM

Yep - linked to jungle with Guen etc. Who were you? Henry?!? Fawk I totally remember Slash. :D And who was the girl that was always at the meets?

Sean (Sysop/owner of nexus) worked with me at Cadvision for awhile until those charges fucked up his life.

Khyron

:) Yup. For me BBS' and Mud were never the same after nexus. Played a couple games. Scripted. Got bored and quit. Now my car, and cars in general own me.

hey Arkimidean Dynasty, wasnt that your gang Henry? I cant remember!!

Shaolin
12-15-2003, 11:20 PM

Yep - linked to jungle with Guen etc. DIAMOND of Treasure Trove! lol. Who were you? Henry?!?
And who was the girl that was always at the meets? Her mud handle was Vemtira SarsSpankinWench

Khyron

Geo, yep, it's me Henry :D How've you been man? I assume you're not ripping around in that rabbit of your's anymore eh? :D Theola lives in Coquitlam now, I haven't talked to her in about 5 years. I heard Sean's running a board out in Saskatchewan, and yeah, those charges really fucked him, how did it go anyways?

Where you working now anyways?

Shaolin
12-15-2003, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by FoxLX

:) Yup. For me BBS' and Mud were never the same after nexus. Played a couple games. Scripted. Got bored and quit. Now my car, and cars in general own me.

hey Arkimidean Dynasty, wasnt that your gang Henry? I cant remember!!

That was Theola's gang :D

NickGT
12-15-2003, 11:22 PM
ahhhh yes, its all coming together now :thumbsup:

Hey Khyron, where did you pull my name/gang/experience off of?!

Matthew
12-16-2003, 12:04 AM
I cannot believe that Pandora's Box RBBS-PC is not on that list ?!?

-Matthew

hampstor
12-16-2003, 12:34 AM
AHH the good ol' days of downloading over your modem... learning that X Modem sucked so you eventually ended up using z modem (stopping at ymodem in between) if you were using terminate or some other client :D

hampstor
12-16-2003, 12:35 AM
did anyone ever play that exitilus door? it was sort of like a buggy version of usurper meets LORD

Khyron
12-16-2003, 01:41 AM

Geo, yep, it's me Henry :D How've you been man? I assume you're not ripping around in that rabbit of your's anymore eh? :D Theola lives in Coquitlam now, I haven't talked to her in about 5 years. I heard Sean's running a board out in Saskatchewan, and yeah, those charges really fucked him, how did it go anyways?

Where you working now anyways?

Hah that's hilarious - no idea it was you. :D I remember our pool hall meets! I'm doing comp crap for sears, married now - it's all good. I still play Medievia every now and then. I dunno if Sean got convicted or not - but it didn't really matter, the charges alone were enough to ruin anyone.

Old mud page is http://www.nexus-point.net/major/Main.html - it's got some old caps etc (last update Dec 99). MMudSim works under 2000/XP - it will make u laugh.

Khyron

NickGT
12-16-2003, 07:36 AM
oh man that top 25 list brings back alot of memories! :nut:

4wheeldrift
12-16-2003, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by hampstor
did anyone ever play that exitilus door? it was sort of like a buggy version of usurper meets LORD Damn near constantly, it was one my favorites. Only time I ever donated to a BBS was to cough up the cash for the sysop to get it registered :D

Juice
12-16-2003, 11:59 AM
I connect to darkside.dtdns.net. It has IP BRE in 3 different leagues plus it also runs local BRE, LORD, Tradewars and a bunch of other games.

Shaolin
12-16-2003, 01:16 PM
IP BRE's fun when you all start out at the same time or when there's big guys to help you.. once your protection is over you just get whooped if you're newb with no help.

Exitilus was fun, it was one of the most popular games when I had my board up.. but yeah it was buggy as hell. Games people never played were like SRE and Falcon's Eye :rolleyes:

Anyone remember Chat With Lisa? :rofl: :rofl:

Weapon_R
12-16-2003, 01:31 PM

Anyone remember Chat With Lisa? :rofl: :rofl:

I do! And to think I actually spent time chatting with her. And even worse, the BBS owner being able to read what I was typing makes me sweat haha.

Hearing all of these names brings back serious memories. I remember frequenting No Limits (so busy all the time) and the Batcave :rofl:

Shaolin
12-16-2003, 01:35 PM
yep, I had the clean version and the dirty version of Chat with Lisa on my board, was hilarious to see what some of the people were typing to try and get her to talk dirty hahaha.

Some of the boards I frequented most was SOS, Skyfire, Zeta Hyades, No Limit, Digitech, Utopia Space Fields and Untitled BBS.

Khyron
09-06-2006, 12:15 PM
Just a bump for an email I got, because you can still play MajorMud if you want. I'm scared to try just in case I get hooked again.

I run a BBS on WouldGroup software and would like more LOCAL people

BBS: White Dragon BBS
Telnet: Dragonbbs.dyndns.org
Sysop: Dragondawn (real name) Gerry
pls give us a try we are free:))

Tempted... :P

Khyron

Shaolin
09-06-2006, 12:21 PM
man Geoff, no way in hell I'd play MajorMud again.. unless if I can get a copy of MMTerm or that other scripting app (I think it's called MegaMUD?) that I used back in the day.. it just takes way too dam long to level up in that game if you play manually..

rage2
09-06-2006, 12:58 PM
wow, talk about bringing back memories of bringing back memories! :D

Darkane
09-06-2006, 05:52 PM
Holy fuck! Khyorn And NickGT I was Zephyr on Nexus! Remember my missionary?! LOL then Legolas started on Mainline where I was .. holy shit that game ruined my life :) WoW has nothing on MMud. Slash's goblin Witchy was it? Legos ranger.. Ah i hate u guys :) Im itching to play.

Edit.. ahah Remember Zabrex? That guy played by hand around 12 hours a day EVERYday. Insane. leveling in the Ancient crypt.

Shaolin
09-06-2006, 05:55 PM
You were zephyr? You're a swords of chaos bitch. I remember you.

Darkane
09-06-2006, 05:58 PM
Bahaha, Stupid wayferers. Haunting my mind still :rofl:

Wasted and I played that game before Mmud. it was a good starter mud lol

6. Zephyr Guenzmaster Missionary Raging Inferno 3875071
hahahah

Khyron
09-06-2006, 08:14 PM
Ha, I thought Zephyr on beyond was you for the longest time!

Did you click this link?

Zephyr and Legolas (http://www.nexus-point.net/major/Thrag.html)

Legolas - Master of Raging Inferno, and the Lords of Discipline.

Good times, have to say. But checking out the website for the BBS - there's tons of areas I have never even heard of. I was sure Majormud would have died out by now.

I still have my script bots, and spare computers, hrmmmmm.

Khyron

Darkane
09-06-2006, 08:55 PM
Ha, I thought Zephyr on beyond was you for the longest time!

Did you click this link?

Zephyr and Legolas (http://www.nexus-point.net/major/Thrag.html)

Legolas - Master of Raging Inferno, and the Lords of Discipline.

Good times, have to say. But checking out the website for the BBS - there's tons of areas I have never even heard of. I was sure Majormud would have died out by now.

I still have my script bots, and spare computers, hrmmmmm.

Khyron

haha, oh man crits for 21 back when Mmud was actually played. But yeah im the REAL zephyr :) Lego..err Khyron lol find a board lets get this Shit going haha. Spike is on this forum too.

s8chan
09-06-2006, 09:39 PM
Wow, memories..haha. That was a good 10 years ago. I was Spike. :rofl:

KLCC
09-06-2006, 09:45 PM
you can play LORD on "http://lord.stabs.org/" free of charge:thumbsup:

Majestic12
09-06-2006, 10:00 PM
woohoo...Octapode! Those were fun times.

NickGT
09-06-2006, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Darkane
Holy fuck! Khyorn And NickGT I was Zephyr on Nexus! Remember my missionary?! LOL then Legolas started on Mainline where I was .. holy shit that game ruined my life :) WoW has nothing on MMud. Slash's goblin Witchy was it? Legos ranger.. Ah i hate u guys :) Im itching to play.

Oh I totally miss those days. The sneaky witchunter was a wicked character to play haha.

Originally posted by s8chan
Wow, memories..haha. That was a good 10 years ago. I was Spike. :rofl:

Always the priest as I recall??

Good to hear you guys are still around. Man those were the good old days!

Darkane
09-06-2006, 10:05 PM
Just awaiting the reunion of RI :)