PDA

View Full Version : Go vegetarian to save the world: UN

911fever
06-14-2010, 10:14 PM
http://sl.farmonline.com.au/news/nationalrural/agribusiness-and-general/general/go-veg-to-save-the-world-says-un/1856903.aspx

what a bunch of loons! wowww retarded.

ANOTHER UN agency has again reached the conclusion that the world should move away from dairy and meat consumption and toward a more grain- and vegetarian-based diet to save the environment. The UN Environmental Program (UNEP), through its International Panel for Sustainable Resource Management, released a report June 2 calling for such a shift "to dramatically reduce pressure on the environment," according to UNEP's news release announcing the report. The report - "Environmental Impacts of Consumption & Production: Priority Products & Materials" - argues that current trends in the production and use of energy and food "are draining freshwater supplies, triggering losses of economically important ecosystems such as forests, intensifying disease and death rates and raising pollution to unsustainable levels." Fixing this, according to the report, can start with changes in energy use and food consumption "at the household," where the report calls for individuals to change how they cool and heat their homes, their use of appliances and gadgets and the way they travel. This is the point at which the report calls for people to make dietary shifts to vegetarianism. Achim Steiner, UN undersecretary general and UNEP director, in the news release, said "decoupling growth from environmental degradation is the number-one challenge facing governments," and setting priorities to achieve this "would seem prudent and sensible to fast track a low-carbon, resource-efficient 'green economy'". The panel reviewed "all available science," Steiner said, and concluded that two broad areas of production and use are having "a disproportionately high impact on people and the planet's life support system": (1) energy and (2) agriculture, "especially raising livestock for dairy and meat products". The panel set three areas for transformational change, including agriculture, "particularly products derived from animals," which the report says "are fed more than half of the world's crops." It added that, worldwide, agricultural production accounts for 70% of freshwater consumption and 38% of land use and that food production accounts for 19% of the world's greenhouse gas emissions.

nonlinear
06-14-2010, 10:58 PM
what's retarded about it?

Super_Geo
06-14-2010, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by nonlinear
what's retarded about it?

broken_legs
06-15-2010, 12:18 AM
x3

Try the course:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ChrisMartensondotcom

My feeling is we're close to the limit of the function.

SKR
06-15-2010, 12:29 AM
You can grow cows in places that you can't grow grain, and you can grow grain to feed the cows in places that you can't grow vegetables.

Removing cows from the equation doesn't magically free up resources for plants, so it doesn't address the problem. Sure, you can learn how to grow more vegetables, but you can learn how to grow more cows too.

Xtrema
06-15-2010, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by SKR
You can grow cows in places that you can't grow grain, and you can grow grain to feed the cows in places that you can't grow vegetables.

Removing cows from the equation doesn't magically free up resources for plants, so it doesn't address the problem. Sure, you can learn how to grow more vegetables, but you can learn how to grow more cows too.

Location doesn't matter. Food are shipped to cow lots now.

The bottom-line is, ship more food to human instead of feeding cows which is then feed to humans that can afford the expensive process.

I can see where UN is comig from but I'm not giving up meat any time soon.

revelations
06-15-2010, 01:02 AM
I dont think we need to "give up" meat all together, but rather we should make it less of a staple food than it is in North America.

Eg. buying ground turkey or chicken instead of ground beef.
Nothing drastic (ie vegetarianism)

vengie
06-15-2010, 01:13 AM
Wait what?? Good luck removing a solid steak from my dinner table.

bspot
06-15-2010, 01:47 AM
Asians eat wayyyyyyy less meat than North Americans, and consequently are healthier (when accounting for equal medical care).

We don't need to eat as much of it as we do. If you up the chicken content and save the steaks/burgers for a treat, you actually make a significant difference.

I've done it, but mostly so I don't get fat and to save some cash on the grocery bill. All the hippy stuff is a nice side effect.

CUG
06-15-2010, 05:01 AM
I wish I never opened that first bag of potato chips.

AndyL
06-15-2010, 08:28 AM
Sorry I'm a meatatarian...

Mmmm baconator...

codetrap
06-15-2010, 09:56 AM
I love your selective copy and paste.

However, the report did not recognize the difference between modern agriculture as practiced in North America and agriculture as practiced in developing parts of the world, where forests are being destroyed to plant crops and raise livestock and where inefficiencies and a lack of skills and technologies are destructive.

In the US, modern agriculture employs the science and technology to grow more crops and produce more livestock and dairy, meat and poultry products for human consumption from fewer resources seemingly every year, and it does so in a manner that becomes "greener" every year.

This is just more eco-garbage. Like the 100Mile diet and crap like that. Shortsighted and useless.

Cos
06-15-2010, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema

I can see where UN is comig from but I'm not giving up meat any time soon.

+1

Feruk
06-15-2010, 11:10 AM
Humans didn't become intelligent till they started eating meat. Not interested.

syeve
06-15-2010, 11:25 AM
Our parents are known as the generation of ignorance. We will be known as the generation that knew what we were doing and continued down the path of self destruction.

89coupe
06-15-2010, 11:30 AM
Humans need B12, B12 comes from meat. Without B12 we would all slowly become crazy!

bspot
06-15-2010, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by codetrap
I love your selective copy and paste.

This is just more eco-garbage. Like the 100Mile diet and crap like that. Shortsighted and useless.

Do you realize that a very large portion of your food comes from developing countries with these destructive agriculture practices?

revelations
06-15-2010, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by 89coupe
Humans need B12, B12 comes from meat. Without B12 we would all slowly become crazy!

B12 does not come from meat alone.

Vitamin B12 is found in foods that come from animals, including fish and shellfish, meat (especially liver), poultry, eggs, milk, and milk products.

One half chicken breast provides some 0.3 µg (micrograms) per serving or 6.0% of one's daily value (DV); 3 ounces of beef, 2.4 µg, or 40% of one's DV; one slice of liver 47.9 µg or 780% of DV; and 3 ounces of molluscs 84.1 µg, or 1,400% of DV.

B12 is also added to cereals.

ZenOps
06-15-2010, 12:09 PM
Canada shouldn't be pointing fingers at anyone.

We export a ridiculous amount of fertilizer (potash, sulfur, nitrogen) So that we don't have to grow things here...

OT: Saskatchewan wheat farmers are unable to plant their crops this year. It will be the worst year in over 40 years for wheat (the only crop we grow in suffient quantity) Expect bread prices to double.

Cos
06-15-2010, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by ZenOps
Canada shouldn't be pointing fingers at anyone.

We export a ridiculous amount of fertilizer (potash, sulfur, nitrogen) So that we don't have to grow things here...

OT: Saskatchewan wheat farmers are unable to plant their crops this year. It will be the worst year in over 40 years for wheat (the only crop we grow in suffient quantity) Expect bread prices to double.

Yeah out boss was just telling us about that. Said it is too wet to plant. Almost 160,000 acres have been lost so far or something.

Sugarphreak
06-15-2010, 01:06 PM

f150jacked
06-15-2010, 01:07 PM
never heard of this un thing but i aint givin up my meat for noone.

89coupe
06-15-2010, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by revelations

B12 does not come from meat alone.

B12 is also added to cereals.

I include fish as meat.

codetrap
06-15-2010, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by bspot

Do you realize that a very large portion of your food comes from developing countries with these destructive agriculture practices?

You do realize that you're completely talking out of your ass when you say stuff like this, because you have absolutely no idea where I buy my food, or what I personally eat?

syeve
06-15-2010, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
:whocares:

Just another useless recommendation... I won't be giving up meat anytime soon and most certainly, some "save the dolphins" hippy UN agency isn't going to make me.

Originally posted by f150jacked
never heard of this un thing but i aint givin up my meat for noone.

I don't think the entire population suddenly going vegan is realistic. The only thing I do is ensure that ALL the meat I eat (chicken/beef/bison) is local. It's easy to do and tastes the best. The chicken was the biggest suprise; I had been eating grocery store chicken for so long that I forgot how good a basicaly wild chicken tasted. I had it once and was sold.

http://www.calgaryfarmersmarket.ca/index.php?p=Meet%20the%20Vendors

Meat guys at the calgary farmers market -

Fredrico's Italian Market & Deli - delicious paninis and pizza for eat in and take out
Grazin Acres - Eggs, poultry & grass fed beef
Hoven Farms Organic Foods - Organic meat - www.hovenfarms.com
Jackson's Deli - fresh gourmet quality deli meats
Missing Link Extraordinary Sausage - Chicken sausage and lamb sausage - www.missinglinksausage.com
North Sea Fish Market - Fresh fish
Old Country Sausage Shop - Sausage www.oldcountrysausageshop.com
Patsy Clark Farms / Essence of the Nile - Ostrich meat & products www.patsyclarkfarms.ca
Spragg's Meat Shop - Free range pork www.spraggsmeatshop.com
Sunworks Farm - Organic meat www.sunworksfarm.com
Sylvan Star Cheese - Cheese, butter, yogurt www.sylvanstarcheesefarm.ca
Valta Bison Farms – Bison meats, sausages, jerky and deli products www.valtabison.com
Wapiti Ways - Elk www.wapitiways.com

f150jacked
06-15-2010, 01:34 PM
ya but that farmers market is expensive yeah? i cant afford the 50 chickens n shit yeah.

codetrap
06-15-2010, 01:39 PM
ya but that farmers market is expensive yeah? i cant afford the 50 chickens n shit yeah.

Not all of it is expensive. There are a lot of good deals to be had. However, there is a bit of hypocrisy going on there too, since they're selling a lot of the same out of season veggies as Safeway and Superstore, just at inflated rates. Same stickers on the banana's in January, same grapes etc.

Unfortunately, the calgary farmers market is more about being eco-trendy than actual substance. If you want a more realistic experience, maybe some of the smaller rural farmers markets might be the way to go.

nonlinear
06-15-2010, 01:48 PM
only a small proportion of an animal's energy intake goes into biomass. most of the energy is lost as heat due to metabolism, foraging, mating, blah blah blah. hence, a very large amount of energy is lost between trophic levels (i.e., when an animal eats something).

the implications for humans are simple: far higher population densities can be supported on grains than on animals that eat grains.

regardless of one's political views, AND ignoring all of the other factors that make vegetarianism more sustainable (e.g. amount of water required to process meat, disease spread, feed lot pollution, etc. etc. etc.), it's impossible to deny the fact that more humans can live off of grain than off of grain-fed animals.

that said, i love meat, and will never stop eating it.

core_upt
06-15-2010, 01:53 PM

This actually speaks to the larger problem - food in Canada, and especially in the US is too fucking cheap. The only way to keep $0.39 hamburgers, $0.25 wings and all-you-can-eat fries is to grow it as quick as possible, feed it cheaply and have immigrants cultivate it for nothing. That means cheap feed, heavily fertililer and pesticide use and slave labour.

I'm not saying I have the answers, or that I'm any better (though I don't eat red meat and try to stick with organic chicken), but we collectively need to look at our dinner plates and think if there is a cost greater than the dollars and cents at play.

89coupe
06-15-2010, 01:55 PM
Humans can't survive without B12. You can't get B12 from any vegetable or grain.

syeve
06-15-2010, 01:55 PM

Not all of it is expensive. There are a lot of good deals to be had. However, there is a bit of hypocrisy going on there too, since they're selling a lot of the same out of season veggies as Safeway and Superstore, just at inflated rates. Same stickers on the banana's in January, same grapes etc.

Unfortunately, the calgary farmers market is more about being eco-trendy than actual substance. If you want a more realistic experience, maybe some of the smaller rural farmers markets might be the way to go.

I was refering to the meat there. The vast majority of vegtables we eat can't be gorwn here or have a very short growing season.

I don't agree at all that the market is eco-trendy. Just because rich douche bags swarm the place to make themselves feel better, doesn't equate eco-trendy. These are all relatively small farms, a lot are omish. I have been to Edgar farm and they are tiny, really tiny. I buy all my beef from them directly now. A ton of vegtables and unreal beef jerkey. http://www.edgarfarms.com/ Go visit their farm, they litteraly treat their animals like pets.

nonlinear
06-15-2010, 02:01 PM
Humans can't survive without B12. You can't get B12 from any vegetable or grain.

you can get it from dairy products, supplements, or fortified foods.

HRD2PLZ
06-15-2010, 02:02 PM

Its recommended that vegans take a B12 supplement because of this. But, for someone who is an lacto-ovo vegetarian (they consume dairy), they can get enough B12 in their diet that they won't need supplements.

I stopped eating meat a few weeks ago and went to a vegetarian diet. I researched the vitamins that I'd be losing out on without meat. So, I take B12 and Omega3 supplements. I get enough iron, etc from a well balanced diet. I didn't change to save the world. I do honestly feel a lot better. I sleep better and have more energy.

kvg
06-15-2010, 02:04 PM
I agree but I love meat so people could eat less meat.

codetrap
06-15-2010, 02:07 PM
syeve,

I think I will. Sounds like it would be a good day trip to take my daughter on. And I was looking at purchasing another quarter cow since we're out of meat now. I'd like to get fully organic this time too.

911fever
06-15-2010, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by HRD2PLZ

I do honestly feel a lot better. I sleep better and have more energy.

That's absolutely in your head.

syeve
06-15-2010, 02:17 PM
syeve,

I think I will. Sounds like it would be a good day trip to take my daughter on. And I was looking at purchasing another quarter cow since we're out of meat now. I'd like to get fully organic this time too.

It's too bad you missed the asparagus festival! It's hilarious, you can get a tour of the asparagus field on their tractor. I brought my neices there last year, I bought like 3 pounds of beef jerky and an apple pie that I still dream about. They are open all summer for tours.

syeve
06-15-2010, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by 911fever

I cross country mountain bike quite a bit, 3-4 time a week and ride with some of the fastest riders in Alberta. The fastest rider I know is a vegitarian. He use to smash meat daily, says he will never eat meat again after switching.

89coupe
06-15-2010, 02:32 PM
Humans have incisors & canines for a reason, and its not to chew on grains.

Meat tastes good for a reason.

Fish tastes good for a reason.

Poultry tastes good for a reason.

Stupid vegans

:facepalm:

Whats more funny is the stupid vegans who try and replicate the taste of meat in their veg dishes...LOL...what the fuck is the point?

89coupe
06-15-2010, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by syeve

I cross country mountain bike quite a bit, 3-4 time a week and ride with some of the fastest riders in Alberta. The fastest rider I know is a vegitarian. He use to smash meat daily, says he will never eat meat again after switching.

LOL, all that means is everyone else isn't that fast...LOL:rofl:

syeve
06-15-2010, 02:50 PM

LOL, all that means is everyone else isn't that fast...LOL:rofl:

:rofl: Join us anytime

core_upt
06-15-2010, 03:04 PM

core_upt
06-15-2010, 03:05 PM

yay - that's why our teeth are super sharp and pointy like my dog's teeth, or a cat's teeth, or a bear's teeth and not like a monkey's at all.... :facepalm:

Meat tastes good for a reason.
Fish tastes good for a reason.
Poultry tastes good for a reason.

...when it's cooked.

And if doing things just because it 'felt good' was the best reason, our species would be long dead.

msommers
06-15-2010, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by core_upt

This actually speaks to the larger problem - food in Canada, and especially in the US is too fucking cheap. The only way to keep $0.39 hamburgers, $0.25 wings and all-you-can-eat fries is to grow it as quick as possible, feed it cheaply and have immigrants cultivate it for nothing. That means cheap feed, heavily fertililer and pesticide use and slave labour.

I'm not saying I have the answers, or that I'm any better (though I don't eat red meat and try to stick with organic chicken), but we collectively need to look at our dinner plates and think if there is a cost greater than the dollars and cents at play.

I couldn't agree more!

Originally posted by 911fever

Do I need to post the article about Placebo Effect and knee surgeries...again?

Syeve, thanks for listing those companies. Gonna have to check those out.

I've thought about going vegetarian, just to try it. My love for sushi really fucks with that, and steak. Are vegetarians allowed to eat eggs? The biggest factor is my allergy to nuts, which is a vegetarian's staple to their diet. Being lactose intolerant doesn't help either :whipped:. Or is that vegans that can't eat cheese? Fuck I just lump them all together lol.

codetrap
06-15-2010, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by core_upt

I disagree. I haven't seen a $0.39 hamburger in 20 years. $0.25 wings are expensive, and I never saw all you can eat fries. You're talking about fast food. The rest of us are talking about real food. It appears the average family of 4 spends between 250-400/week for groceries. How exactly would you like to make that more expensive?

Core_upt.. do you still live at home by any chance?

Tomaz
06-15-2010, 03:59 PM
Vegitarian... Maybe.

Vegan, fuck no!

I ate vegan for a year and nearly died! (not really, but it felt like it). The Vegan i was living with at the time was becoming more and more sick as time went on. Do you know what cured her???

I cooked her rice with chicken broth, swapped her fake cheese with real. within a week she was feeling great and had more energy than ever. Vegans are idiots.

Commercially bought meats = meh

Local fresh meats = the awesomeness maximus

ZenOps
06-15-2010, 04:00 PM
I think you can still get a "White Castle" burger in the US for about 50 cents if you buy them in 30 or 100 burger "Crave" sizes.

Mini burgers never went over well in Canada, but doughnut holes did.

SKR
06-15-2010, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by nonlinear
only a small proportion of an animal's energy intake goes into biomass. most of the energy is lost as heat due to metabolism, foraging, mating, blah blah blah. hence, a very large amount of energy is lost between trophic levels (i.e., when an animal eats something).

the implications for humans are simple: far higher population densities can be supported on grains than on animals that eat grains.

regardless of one's political views, AND ignoring all of the other factors that make vegetarianism more sustainable (e.g. amount of water required to process meat, disease spread, feed lot pollution, etc. etc. etc.), it's impossible to deny the fact that more humans can live off of grain than off of grain-fed animals.

that said, i love meat, and will never stop eating it.

This would all be true if it weren't for the fact that cows aren't fed the same grain as humans. There is a difference between feed grain and human consumption grain. That, and we don't eat hay.

As I was kind of saying before, we could turn all the land that we use for feed grains and hay into crops for human consumption. For a lot of that land, there's a reason it's put toward livestock and it would be hard/expensive to change it. We could put in the same time and effort to increase livestock efficiency.

Consider the amount of resources required for seeding, growing and harvesting a crop for people to eat. That takes a lot of work, and two big things that come to mind are pesticides and diesel. If nothing else, cows don't burn any diesel to eat grass, and they don't get upset if there's some buckwheat in their alfalfa. But nobody ever considers that.

HondaKid
06-15-2010, 09:20 PM

Love it when someone makes a blanket statement, in this day and age, Google first next time.

I was too lazy to Google the truth. (http://www.vegsoc.org/info/b12.html)

HondaKid
06-15-2010, 09:21 PM
We ought to start eating humans, kill so many birds with one good meal. Start with the CEO of BP and work our way down.

TYMSMNY
06-15-2010, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by AndyL
Sorry I'm a meatatarian...

Mmmm baconator...

Beef is your favourite animal too? :D

HondaKid
06-15-2010, 10:00 PM

True, but when was the last time you chowed down on some raw meat? That is why they are there, and you have lots of teeth cause they went bad real quick and rotted away. Wisdom teeth are like this, not needed today but 6,000 years ago they were sometimes the only teeth useable in your mouth, this is why they come in so late in life. The others were rotted, fell out or were impacted.

You got nipples too, what the fuck you doing with those?

What you doing with your Coccyx? It's OK I will wait while you look it up.

Everything tastes better with bacon.

Primer_Drift
06-15-2010, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by HondaKid

Love it when someone makes a blanket statement, in this day and age, Google first next time.

From the link you posted..

"Human faeces can contain significant B12"

Congratulations vegans.

msommers
06-16-2010, 08:36 AM
We ought to start eating humans, kill so many birds with one good meal. Start with the CEO of BP and work our way down.

What does the CEO have to do with what happened exactly? Was he monitoring all the safety mechanisms and displayed negligence?

Originally posted by Primer_Drift

From the link you posted..

"Human faeces can contain significant B12"

Congratulations vegans.

:rofl:

89coupe
06-16-2010, 08:54 AM

LOL, posting from veg society...LOL.:rofl:

Two of the most essential nutrients, B12 & Omega 3 fatty acids for humans, and the stupid Vegetarians are missing out.

LOL, but they will take supplements that were derived from the product they refuse to eat...LOL:facepalm:

codetrap
06-16-2010, 09:32 AM

True, but when was the last time you chowed down on some raw meat? That is why they are there, and you have lots of teeth cause they went bad real quick and rotted away. Wisdom teeth are like this, not needed today but 6,000 years ago they were sometimes the only teeth useable in your mouth, this is why they come in so late in life. The others were rotted, fell out or were impacted.

You got nipples too, what the fuck you doing with those?

What you doing with your Coccyx? It's OK I will wait while you look it up.

Everything tastes better with bacon.

Raw Meat: 2 Nights ago. Sushi!
Nipples: That's personal, but for $500 you can find out.
Coccyx: I personally use it when I sit.

And you can't have a bacon cheeseburger without bacon!

kvg
06-16-2010, 04:18 PM
http://www.badbacon.com/Images/t_ilovebaconblack/I_love_baconblack.jpg
http://loyalkng.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/bacon-bikini-nsfw.jpg
:poosie:

89coupe
06-17-2010, 08:43 AM
You veggies should read this.

http://chealth.canoe.ca/channel_health_news_details.asp?news_id=31037&news_channel_id=12&channel_id=12

syeve
06-17-2010, 09:03 AM
Is anyone on here actually a vegitarian? I don't claim to be, not even close.

nonlinear
06-17-2010, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by syeve
Is anyone on here actually a vegitarian? I don't claim to be, not even close.

no, i think it's more a case of ignorant, finger-pointing rednecks trying to prove their masculinity.

iceburns288
06-18-2010, 08:38 AM
I disagree. I haven't seen a $0.39 hamburger in 20 years. $0.25 wings are expensive, and I never saw all you can eat fries. You're talking about fast food. The rest of us are talking about real food. It appears the average family of 4 spends between 250-400/week for groceries. How exactly would you like to make that more expensive?

Core_upt.. do you still live at home by any chance?
Percent of income spent on food in the US:
1930: 24.2%
1950: 20.6%
2000: 9.8%

polarice
06-19-2010, 04:17 PM
Vegetarians like meat tasting things in the same way a lesbian likes a strap on. Its a taste thing. I don't eat meat everyday because I don't think its healthy too based on the way my body feels.It is a bonus that its cheaper! Burgers may not be 39 cents but they certainly are 99 cents. I can't remember which food documentary it was, but they were discussing the poor mans dilema of not being able to afford whole foods, and instead having to eat fast food or processed food because its cheaper. Perhaps, this is more true in the USA than Canada.

scary_perry
06-19-2010, 04:29 PM

slowly would be an improvement in my case

I was a vegetarian last year. Just thought I would try it. Only thing I missed was bacon and lox. I felt fine, and lost a bit of weight. I was eating really unhealthy stuff though - like nachos three times a day.

I married into an asian family, and all they eat is meat. Meat covered in meat fried with meat smothered in gravy. Out of courtesy to their meat eating habits I switched back to a normal NA diet.

scary_perry
06-19-2010, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by polarice
a lesbian likes a strap on

so lesbians crave meat? wasn't that a line from a Kevin Smith film?

http://sexualityinart.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/chasing-amy-poster.jpg

ZenOps
06-19-2010, 05:38 PM
The US and especially Canada imports a great deal of food. There is just a ton of stuff we can't grow here.

I'm still amazed that one can grow, harvest, and ship bananas from around the world, and still have it retail around 60 cents per pound (And yet it still costs me $10 to send a two ounce box to another province)

We are lucky that cows pigs and chicken like grains, or we would be screwed. Sealmeat is not to my liking, but I could live on salmon for years.

IMO the price of food has come down, not because we are growing more food - but because the shipping costs have come down immensely in the last few decades. Anytime you talk $20 per tonne for shipping by rail...

PS: It wasn't all that long ago that you could only regularily buy one type of apple. Red Delicious.

kertejud2
06-19-2010, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by Tomaz

I ate vegan for a year and nearly died! (not really, but it felt like it). The Vegan i was living with at the time was becoming more and more sick as time went on. Do you know what cured her???

I cooked her rice with chicken broth, swapped her fake cheese with real. within a week she was feeling great and had more energy than ever. Vegans are idiots.

I think this is more of the vegan you were living with is an idiot. I know a few vegans who are in incredible shape and are obnoxiously peppy since they're the granola munching 30 day hiking trip kinds of vegans. I'm happy with my diet, but if you do it right, you can be a happy and healthy vegan.

brownchild
06-19-2010, 10:51 PM
Maybe the government(s) should make it mandatory to have greenhouses in the backyards of your home, or offer some sort of reinbursments, and let us have chicken coups... Oh wait then we wont have to rely on our supermarkets as much as we do. Theres a bigger problem behind this, the UN leaders should get there heads out there asses, or stop spreading fear among the sheep.

Supa Dexta
06-20-2010, 06:54 AM
syeve,

Don't go looking specifically for ''organic''... As there really isnt any set guidelines as to who can claim that, or anyone checking up on it to ensure it is.

We are a direct farm to customer beef supplier on the east coast.. We don't claim to be organic for the simple fact we don't control the grain supply. We may send our own grain in to get mixed, but we can't control its organic things getting mixed in to it. Therefore we only claim locally grown, hormone free.. etc.

Basically when a calf is born we give it a needle, of penicillin. Just as a precaution when its so young to help fight off anything that may arise in the first few days... After that its on its mother for ~8 months, drinking milk, eating a bit of grass as it learns to and starting water. After that it is taken off the mother, by this time winter is setting in and its given hay/silage/grain/water. Fattened up until its abotu 15-20 months depending, and then butchered.

No needles, no hormones, nothing... Theres no money in beef for the farmer to begin with really so there is no extra money to pump it full of anything extra.. Feel free to ask a farmer you buy from what their procedure is, and you won't find better beef if its similar to the above.

The problems come from the feed lots, HUGE lots of cows in tight spaces living in their own shit and being fed non stop, who knows if they add in any extras, as I have no connection to one.

The problem used to be mainly in dairy... Thats where the hormones and steroid use was more common, as they really worked those cows hard to produce. Theres more money in dairy to begin with though, and they only use their cows a few yrs before they are used up and no good anymore. You now have cows producing a 100 pounds of milk a day, theres no way they can keep that pace for many years.