PDA

View Full Version : Paint advice

C_Dave45
06-15-2010, 10:29 AM
Looking for some advice from the pro painters here. I'm looking to paint the aluminum box of a cube van. It's a POS truck so I don't need top-of-the-line auto paint. Just a good exterior paint that will hold. Looking to adhere vinyl lettering/decals to it as well.

Kloubek
06-15-2010, 10:31 AM
Dave,

I am not a painting expert, but I have painted aluminum before.

Use a aluminum oxide primer first. Then you can use pretty much whatever paint you want on top.

AndyL
06-15-2010, 12:54 PM
Head over to bellare coatings by the 32nd ave bus depot... PPG Pitt Tech. Sticks to anything, holds up to weathering really well (believe its normal use is a pipeline paint). Bit on the pricey side, but at least you wont have to redo it (if ya wanna swing by and check some out, think i've got a bit kicking around here you can try/test out)

HHURICANE1
06-15-2010, 01:25 PM
With aluminum it's all about the primer. Regular primers won't stick and you will end up doing it again. Talk to a paint supply shop and they will let you know the proper primer to use.

Masked Bandit
06-15-2010, 04:44 PM
Once you've got a good metal primer on there you might want to try Marine paint as a top coat. For obvious reasons it weathers quite well.

corsvette
06-15-2010, 05:24 PM
Cloverdale sells this self priming industrial enamel,works well in my experence using it,sticks to anything and shines well.

TomcoPDR
06-16-2010, 01:39 AM
Ask InRich he's the paint expert