PDA

View Full Version : Where do you buy your day to day maintenance items?

CapnCrunch
06-15-2010, 12:00 PM
I'm coming up on 50K on my truck and it's time to change out some fluids. Front/ Rear diffs, X-case, transmission in particular. I figured I'd just swing by Can-Tire and browse their selection, but they didn't have any selection at all.

I was hoping to have a choice of at least 2 brands for each fluid type, but they didn't even carry one product that met my spec. I'm hoping to not have to use the dealership for these (in my opinion) common items.

So where do you guys go? Who's got a good selection in town?

CapnCrunch
06-15-2010, 01:56 PM
Do I need to change the title to "Where do you buy Fart cans and lowering kits for your Civic" to get a response in here? Nobody here does their own shit? Really?

bituerbo
06-15-2010, 01:58 PM
Give Mopac a call.

SJW
06-15-2010, 02:00 PM
I just take my shit to Mr. Lube. It's worth paying a little more for 1/10th the mess. Sorry we couldn't get you an answer within 2 hours your highness.

Cos
06-15-2010, 02:04 PM
what truck. I get a lot of my stuff from pollywog

4lti
06-15-2010, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch
Do I need to change the title to "Where do you buy Fart cans and lowering kits for your Civic" to get a response in here? Nobody here does their own shit? Really?

Whoa, no wonder you drive a truck.
Shit keep that rage controlled son.

Auto Value

Then across the street from every auto value is that Red auto parts store.

Walmart might have cheap fluids. Id suggest going to the supper center one instead of a smaller walmart if your looking for a wide variety of selections.

ExtraSlow
06-15-2010, 02:06 PM
I buy my maintenence items at Wal-Mart. Cheaper than Can-tire and often better selection. Anything they don't carry, I'll drop by whatever parts store is closest, often NAPA or AutoValue.

dsr7723
06-15-2010, 02:32 PM
Wal Mart carries every fluid and oil needed at a good price, just stay away from Fram filters. Rotella 15w40 66$ for a big pail, can't beat that. I get my filters and gaskets from the stealership and the rest can easily be found at Wal Mart. If you don't want to use OE stuff, Auto Value carry Wix and Purolator which are both excellent filters.

CapnCrunch
06-15-2010, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by SJW
I just take my shit to Mr. Lube. It's worth paying a little more for 1/10th the mess. Sorry we couldn't get you an answer within 2 hours your highness.

No replies for 2 hours, act like dick and get 4 replies in 10 minutes. This place is messed up.

Anyways, thanks for the tips bros.

dsr7723
06-15-2010, 02:37 PM

No replies for 2 hours, act like dick and get 4 replies in 10 minutes. This place is messed up.

X2

Zero102
06-15-2010, 02:39 PM
The answer depends heavily on what type of truck it is and what specific fluid types you are looking for.

Canadian tire carries a large selection of gear oils, transmission fluids, etc. But, without knowing the vehicle or fluid specs it is pretty much impossible to suggest somewhere that would carry a specific fluid that Canadian Tire does not.

You posted a nearly useless thread then raged when nobody answered you for 2 hours. You are part of what is messed up around here :dunno:

V8 LOL
06-15-2010, 02:39 PM
I'm coming up on 50K on my truck and it's time to change out some fluids. Front/ Rear diffs, X-case, transmission in particular. I figured I'd just swing by Can-Tire and browse their selection, but they didn't have any selection at all.

I was hoping to have a choice of at least 2 brands for each fluid type, but they didn't even carry one product that met my spec. I'm hoping to not have to use the dealership for these (in my opinion) common items.

So where do you guys go? Who's got a good selection in town? Holla at mopac or napa, they both have a great selection. Mopac carries more of the performance stuff i run in my car

CapnCrunch
06-15-2010, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Zero102
The answer depends heavily on what type of truck it is and what specific fluid types you are looking for.

Canadian tire carries a large selection of gear oils, transmission fluids, etc. But, without knowing the vehicle or fluid specs it is pretty much impossible to suggest somewhere that would carry a specific fluid that Canadian Tire does not.

You posted a nearly useless thread then raged when nobody answered you for 2 hours. You are part of what is messed up around here :dunno:

08 Frontier.

And :rofl: at me being raging.

DeeK
06-15-2010, 07:37 PM
"Where do you buy Fart cans and lowering kits for your Civic"

Canadian Tire. Trick out your ride with the CT Special.

SJW
06-15-2010, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by DeeK

Canadian Tire. Trick out your ride with the CT Special.

Can I get playboy bunny mud flaps there? Or Yosemite Sam flaps?

Rat Fink
06-15-2010, 07:52 PM

StreetRacerX
06-15-2010, 09:01 PM

LOL! Hey there's nothing wrong with "lowering kits"

I'm sure you can get everything you need for your truck, parts and fluid wise at NAPA, Mopac, and hell I even go to Canadian Tire for the odd thing.

As for most service work, I've had good experiences taking my vehicles to E-Mortal Customs:

Bay#3, 2808 Ogden Road SE, right where Ogden meets Blackfoot Tr.

They are upstanding guys who won't nickel and dime you!

DeeK
06-16-2010, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by SJW

Can I get playboy bunny mud flaps there? Or Yosemite Sam flaps?

Absolutely, and hubcap spinners for your Toyota Tercel! SCORE!

streethondas
06-16-2010, 02:10 AM
Do I need to change the title to "Where do you buy Fart cans and lowering kits for your Civic" to get a response in here?

WOW... maybe you should have asked about hid kits, cause fuckers like you blind us in our LOWERED CARS with lowering kits!! fuckin douchbag i cant believe people still helping this nut job :facepalm:

dsr7723
06-16-2010, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by streethondas

WOW... maybe you should have asked about hid kits, cause fuckers like you blind us in our LOWERED CARS with lowering kits!! fuckin douchbag i cant believe people still helping this nut job :facepalm:

Blind you with the HID's, make you deaf with the trainhorns
and make you blind rolling coal. All day every day. What else do you expect? You guys created a stereotype, we're just living up to it.

swak
06-16-2010, 07:04 AM
i buy everything OE at a GM dealer (In other words, AcDelco crap).

CapnCrunch
06-16-2010, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by streethondas

:drama:

CapnCrunch
06-16-2010, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by Rat Fink
If you're looking to do a tranny service, don't skip out on the fluid. If you go to aftermarket you'll find a lot of the fluids are a compromise that is made to "work" with several different transmissions. I've seen that backfire before so keep an eye on the labels. Some will call for an exact spec and others will say works with the following transmissions: and then name off a list of 20 different manufacturers specs.

I noticed Amsoil is really bad for that. They like to recommend one of their products, but never mention that it doesn't meet a certain spec.

i'll probably stick with Nissans fluid for the tranny, i think the X-case is just a GL-5 trans fluid though, so I might try something else.

AE92_TreunoSC
06-16-2010, 08:17 AM
You need J-Matic fluid anyway, anything else will void the warranty.

You could run a standard synthetic, but I would never suggest changing it from the manufacturer specification while it has a potential of failing under warranty.

Diff's just find a semi-synthetic 75w90, no need for royal purple when those diffs last forever on regular bulk oil.

CapnCrunch
06-16-2010, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC
You need J-Matic fluid anyway, anything else will void the warranty.

You could run a standard synthetic, but I would never suggest changing it from the manufacturer specification while it has a potential of failing under warranty.

Diff's just find a semi-synthetic 75w90, no need for royal purple when those diffs last forever on regular bulk oil.

Sorry, I should have mentioned it's a 6spd manual. I think it's spec'd for a GL-4 gear oil.

I'm going to try to find synthetics for everything. The only thing I can't find is a decent ATF for the x-case that meets Nissans matic D spec.

AndyL
06-16-2010, 09:59 AM
Bowness auto parts... For pretty much everything, my local NAPA and Autovalue are pretty useless, and the autovalue I have to deal with the dipshit who wrote off my beloved 4runner.

They've only once let me down and sent me to autovalue in recent memory. Really nice bunch of guys - bring in an oddball part and they can eyeball it and yank it off the rack, no questions asked. And the pricing's always been competitive (actually ususally better) except on the bodyshop stuff - end up over to alberta autobody over on 12st NE for that stuff.

Low-Life
06-16-2010, 10:15 AM
haha i used to work there, actually yesterday was my last day at bowness auto.

they are a good group of guys, they can always find what you need, and brad is great with locating tons of preformance upgrades. Turbos to eibach lowering kits, they can find it!