PDA

View Full Version : Sunroof/Moonroof Creak

Neil4Speed
06-15-2010, 12:14 PM
Its been going on since I bought the car about a year ago, but is now really starting to get on my nerves. Every time I go over a bump, or even day to day driving I hear a slight creak from the moon roof/sunroof. When I put the cover over it, its harder to hear, but that is hardly a solution.

Any of you guys have a suggestion as to a good lubricant to use for the sunroof rails and the rubber sill around it? I have read a bit about silicone lubrication as well as White Lithium and was wondering which would be more suitable to my application.

I should probably do my door locks and door hinges too before they start making sounds.

94boosted
06-16-2010, 08:21 AM
I doubt it's your rails causing the creak it most likely is the seal around the glass. I have the same problem and I use a silicone lubricant (from Crappy Tire) that works quite well. I just spray some on a rag and wipe down the rubber seals and the metal cut-out in the roof for the sunroof.

PS: It's not a bad idea to give all of the door/trunk seals in your car a wipe down with silicone lubricant every once in a while.

Kloubek
06-16-2010, 08:32 AM
I think it is the seal as well. You can try Silicone Lube, which is what I'm going to use on the Targa roof of my C5. (I'll let you know how it works).

I've read elsewhere to use die-electric grease. (Though I've seen the term used, I couldn't seem to find it anywhere.)

Neil4Speed
06-16-2010, 08:43 AM
Thanks for the tips guys, I will try out silicone grease on all of them while I am at it.

I was expecting someone on here to go to the parts counter at CT asking for astroglide. lol

Kloubek
06-16-2010, 08:56 AM
I didn't go to CT. They would have mispriced it, and I had some in my drawer anyway.

Don't use it. Doesn't work. Just gets all sticky and shit.

Kozikman
06-16-2010, 11:17 AM
I used some silicone lube on my moonroof seals, after a week it had a bunch of crap sticking to the seals where i lubed and it was just a horrible mess. I would aslo like to know what is a proper lubricant for rubber seals

Novus
06-16-2010, 11:29 AM
I wanna know too. Both of mine creaks when I close/open them. :(

94boosted
06-16-2010, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Kozikman
I used some silicone lube on my moonroof seals, after a week it had a bunch of crap sticking to the seals where i lubed and it was just a horrible mess. I would aslo like to know what is a proper lubricant for rubber seals

How much did you put on for it to make a sticky mess?

I just spray a corner of a rag with this stuff and then make a quick pass down all of the seals and it works well. And silicone lubricant is the right stuff to use for sure, my owners manual even says to use a silicone lubricant.

Kozikman
06-16-2010, 12:33 PM
I had a tube and used only a bit, maybe i should try a spray kind? It just collected a layer of dirt on the spots i applied it to.

94boosted
06-16-2010, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by Kozikman
I had a tube and used only a bit, maybe i should try a spray kind? It just collected a layer of dirt on the spots i applied it to.

Yah spray kind for sure.

HHURICANE1
06-17-2010, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by Novus
I wanna know too. Both of mine creaks when I close/open them. :(

Go to any GM dealer and get Silicone Emulsion. It comes in a little bottle with an applicator. It is meant for weatherstrips etc. and works great. It's fairly cheap too.

Kloubek
06-18-2010, 08:47 AM
So, this thread inspired me to use the silicone spray on my own weatherstripping around my targa roof.

Guess what... no creak! And as 94boosted said, I just put some on a rag (paper towel actually) and ran it along the seals. Lotsa dirt came off, and it worked like a charm.

Neil4Speed
06-29-2010, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
So, this thread inspired me to use the silicone spray on my own weatherstripping around my targa roof.

Guess what... no creak! And as 94boosted said, I just put some on a rag (paper towel actually) and ran it along the seals. Lotsa dirt came off, and it worked like a charm.

Thanks for the help everyone, got around to doing this, No more creak!!!

It was annoying me so much, Happy this is finally fixed!

94boosted
06-29-2010, 04:18 PM
Keep in mind this isn't a permanent fix. I try to do this on all of my weatherstripping everytime I change the oil.

Tik-Tok
06-29-2010, 04:47 PM
303 aerospace protectant, you can find it in some C.T.'s, this stuff kicks ass for rubber.

diamondedge
06-29-2010, 09:37 PM
Guys, would silicone from an RC hobby shop work as well? I have a few bottles hanging around.