PDA

View Full Version : Benefits of being a part of a club

gyu
06-15-2010, 03:17 PM
Is there any benefits for being an executive (I think that's what they're called) and contributing to the clubs operations? Like for example would it help if you were applying for co-op or internships or even your resume?

sexualbanana
06-15-2010, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by gyu
Is there any benefits for being an executive (I think that's what they're called) and contributing to the clubs operations? Like for example would it help if you were applying for co-op or internships or even your resume?

It's debatable. A lot of HR people say they like people with extra-curricular activities, and it might help you land an interview.

As I can only base my response on my own experiences as it relates to the U of C, I think that you get what you put into it. I can tell you that I didn't really start enjoying my time at the U of C until I joined a couple clubs and started to meet other people. In a commuter school like the U of C, people's school lives and their personal lives are often kept separate as they reserve school for classes and studying, and personal lives for friends and socializing.

nonlinear
06-15-2010, 03:24 PM
IMO, being part of a large club and/or student government is a good experience if you want to eventually be in some sort of administrative role somewhere. although it's not NECESSARY, IMO it is useful to get early experience with committee work, robert's rules of order, etc. that way, you will be more comfortable and "natural" when you come to do these things in your career.

that said, it is also possible to spend FAR to much time with student government.

also, i'm not sure how important these things are from a hiring perspective, but from an applicant's perspective, i think it's useful experience.

my $0.02.