PDA

View Full Version : A question that I though would be best answered here.

Low-Life
06-16-2010, 12:22 AM
Ok, simple question I think.

I currently own a 92 VW golf, and will openly admit, that I rpesently hate my car. It is to slow, it is nothig but issues, and im tired of continously fixing it. Whether it be brken engine mounts, a shot transmisson, or something else, there is always something wrong.

After talking to a friend of mine, with a 95 civic DX, I have come ot the conclusion that I think i may join the honda scene.

problem is, I do not know enough about them to make a soild decision about what to get.

I am stuck between 2 very basic options, and EF and an EG.

I do not know which one would be a better choice, or what the pros and cons of them are, but from what I have heard, they should hopefull last longer then my present car.

If you can assist me in figuring out what to get, it would be very appriciated.

thanks,

Low-Life, former VW owner turned hater.

Low-Life
06-16-2010, 12:37 AM
by the way, i know its kind of a stupid question, I should odo this on my own....

I guess what I am asking is what kind of things should I look out for while buying a civic. I dont know that much about them

v2kai
06-16-2010, 12:53 AM
having owned both I'd say go with an EG. I loved my EF but there's a lot more aftermarket support and components available for the EG lineup.

Also because they are the newer gen civic of the two you have less boxy styling (unless that is what youre going for) and more options depending on trim level like ABS, rear brake disks etc. If youre patient and do your homework youre also more likely to find a better condition EG with less rust and if you get bored of the stock engines, the larger B-series engines are an easy relatively cheap swap or a newer K-series engine or throw on some forced induction. Theyre great little go-karts when you modify them properly even stock they're a great daily, and very easy and cheap to work on.

you can also check out honda-tech.com for more information on each generation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Civic_%28fourth_generation%29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Civic_%28fifth_generation%29

as for what to look for in shopping same as you would any other, do a VIN check and get an inspection if youre not mechanically inclined. :thumbsup:

Low-Life
06-16-2010, 12:54 AM
thansk alot, that is exactly what I was looking for.

volswagens were fun, being slammed and all, but they are just to boring and mine breaks too much!

Nissan_Fanboy
06-16-2010, 01:33 AM
go with the eg,
if you have a passion for ef's, do that, but if you wanna hit the scene, egs are where its at right now.

-find a clean eg
-b series swap
-15 rims
-slam
-lip

got a dece car right there

streethondas
06-16-2010, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by Nissan_Fanboy
go with the eg,
if you have a passion for ef's, do that, but if you wanna hit the scene, egs are where its at right now.

-find a clean eg
-b series swap
-15 rims
-slam
-lip

got a dece car right there

or buy mine :clap:

Low-Life
06-16-2010, 09:31 AM
haha as mush as I always like to look at other peoples cars, I prefer to build them, instead of buy them. Gives me a feeling of what the car is really about!

And I am thinking an EG too, going form a golf to another hatchback should be pretty damn easy.

Low-Life
06-19-2010, 02:18 PM
Oh, what engine should I / shouldnt I look for in the car?

Im kinda aiming to find some old first owner honda in decent shape...

Not sure what the OEM engine options were... ( EG hatch)

Low-Life
06-23-2010, 10:17 PM
3000 dollars should be plenty for a starting point?

GQNammer
06-24-2010, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by Low-Life

volswagens were fun, being slammed and all, but they are just to boring and mine breaks too much!

All cars are like this if you go the cheap route. You don't have to buy all the big and expensive brand name aftermarket parts, but if you're going to do any kind of mod at all, buy all the parts necessary for the mod and install it properly.

Low-Life
06-30-2010, 02:21 PM
Sounds good!

selling my golf in 2 week,s and need to move into a car ASAP.

anyone know of a fairly clean stock EG anywhere?

ive checked kijij, sub 2200 is needed aswell... for now.

and lease Message me with what you find, so others dont buy what is shown lol... makes it easier for me to find a car

thanks guys!

Low-Life
07-20-2010, 11:13 PM
Ended up trading golf for jetta selling jetta next Friday then finally saving for a civic. Still don't know what model it's gonna be, but I'm going to be gutting it for sure.

Low-Life
08-01-2010, 10:41 AM
well the vw's are gone, now im stuck driving a tecel. i post up when i can actully find a damn car :/

MGCM
08-01-2010, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by Low-Life
well the vw's are gone, now im stuck driving a tecel. i post up when i can actully find a damn car :/

I'm only asking $1800 for my 93 civic si

Low-Life
08-01-2010, 07:45 PM
No thank you, found the ad.. looking for a slightly less rusty car! but thanks for the offer

jdmgt
08-02-2010, 07:42 PM
hey, in the market to sell my car. if your interested i can list off the parts that are installed, just bolt on stuff. it can always be turned back to stock..

its a 93 Civic cx, grey interior

pm sent

88CRX
08-02-2010, 07:52 PM
Buy the one with the least rust.

jdmgt
08-02-2010, 09:02 PM
zero rust on mine!!!

diablo415
08-02-2010, 11:29 PM
das... i mean low-life is a gear head wana be! this guy is a leach! beware of the one they call low-life!

Low-Life
08-11-2010, 08:42 PM
thanks for the added bit there passt.. i mean diablo415 or whatever you are., thats why i left dasdubbers.

diablo415
08-12-2010, 11:04 PM
im glad your gone on to smaller and slower things. maybe you can find some sucker to work on your car for you. insted of LEARNING by DOING!

Low-Life
08-15-2010, 06:24 PM
i did all the work on my cars by myself, aside from the fuse block.

if you dont belive me then thats your issue.