PDA

View Full Version : To 3M or Not 3M a White Car

G
06-16-2010, 10:17 AM
I've been looking at a lot of cars lately, specifically white, with 3M or equivalent products applied. They all look discolored to some degree. Some of the cheaper non 3M stuff actually looks rusted after a few years.

Installers claim that 3M does not discolor as bad and is warrantied for 7 years.

My White MDX came with factory piece behind the rear doors and it looks yellowish already after 2 years.

Anyone 3M a white car and not have it discolor?

Covering the entire car seems a bit excessive for about $4000. I can repaint the hood many times for that price.

Initially I wanted to cover the entire bumper, hood and fenders but I am worried that color difference between the hood, a-pillars, fenders and doors would piss me off over time.

Max_Boost did you put this stuff on your white SLK? How did it hold up?

Destinova403
06-16-2010, 10:21 AM
I have 3M on my prelude and there is 1 or two spots that have noticeably discoloured... the rest looks great. Its been on for a year, and ever since iv got it i kept a good coat of wax on it to protect it...

to be honest, the 3M on the Carbon is the most noticeable because the carbon that isnt protected is starting to discolour haha... i really need to get out there and polish it.

kenny
06-16-2010, 10:30 AM
The 3M will discolor if you don't take care of it by washing it when it gets really dirty. Most common causes are bug splatters that stain it.

On the wife's white GTI, the 3m is yellowish along the front because she hardly ever washes it.

On the SLK, it never discolored because the car was rinsed off every couple days :)

Redlyne_mr2
06-16-2010, 10:37 AM
Waxing also helps prevent the yellow fever.

G
06-16-2010, 10:39 AM
From what I've seen on Beyond about your thing for Asian girls I take it you don't wax. :rofl:

Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Waxing also helps prevent the yellow fever.

red99600
06-16-2010, 10:39 AM
yellow fever is rampant among whites

Tomaz
06-16-2010, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by red99600
yellow fever is rampant among whites

+1

Don't do it! I have this stuff on my mazda and it is VERY noticeable. It pisses me off everyday. I might be getting it removed soon.

BTW, this happened within 3 months of owning the car. I cant stand it. I rather chip repair/repaint every few years than have to deal with the nasty look of having my car "condomed".

...just my 2 cents.

max_boost
06-16-2010, 11:11 AM
3M is plastic so you have to clean it.

Here's the BEST stuff you can buy. In an aerosol can where you spray on and use a cloth to wipe it off.

PLEXUS PLASTIC CLEANER: http://www.plexusplasticcleaner.com/plexus.html

http://www.plexusplasticcleaner.com/canblk.jpg

You can buy it at Blackfoot Motorsports off of Blackfoot Trail/46th AVE SE (beside Shaw GMC).

Ya I 3M'd my SLK. The usual parts, full front bumper, section of hood, fenders, mirrors and a small strip in the rear wheel well.

I would apply the Plexus after every second car wash and not a hint of anything yellow.

Hey G, where are you planning to get your 3M done? There's also different 3M material. I know Shadow Tint and Tinting Illusions uses Xpel. For my NSX and SLK I dealt with a guy name Travis who does it out of his garage in Mckenzie Towne but he uses riccochet. Great guy, good work and awesome prices (cash deal).

G
06-16-2010, 11:42 AM
Still shopping around. I heard Xpel isn't as good as 3M Scotchgard Paint Protection Film but everyone has their opinions on each product.

Getting a deal at Icon from my sales guy.
Renee, Thompson, TI, Shadow basically quoted me the same prices. Leaning towards Renee because she is very personable and if she can beat the price my sales guy set me up with at Icon.

The 63 will be here sometime next week.

Originally posted by max_boost

Here's the BEST stuff you can buy. In an aerosol can where you spray on and use a cloth to wipe it off.

You can buy it at Blackfoot Motorsports off of Blackfoot Trail/46th AVE SE (beside Shaw GMC).

Ya I 3M'd my SLK. The usual parts, full front bumper, section of hood, fenders, mirrors and a small strip in the rear wheel well.

I would apply the Plexus after every second car wash and not a hint of anything yellow.

Hey G, where are you planning to get your 3M done? There's also different 3M material. I know Shadow Tint and Tinting Illusions uses Xpel. For my NSX and SLK I dealt with a guy name Travis who does it out of his garage in Mckenzie Towne but he uses riccochet. Great guy, good work and awesome prices (cash deal).

G
06-16-2010, 11:42 AM
Do you know what brand you have on your car?

Originally posted by Tomaz

+1

Don't do it! I have this stuff on my mazda and it is VERY noticeable. It pisses me off everyday. I might be getting it removed soon.

BTW, this happened within 3 months of owning the car. I cant stand it. I rather chip repair/repaint every few years than have to deal with the nasty look of having my car "condomed".

...just my 2 cents.

Phenix
06-16-2010, 11:46 AM
I put avery on my gen coupe. didn't want to get the nasty rash rash like i had on previous cars. I also have a place that can do it way cheaper than the dealership

max_boost
06-16-2010, 11:57 AM
I'm willing to bet Travis at Car Cosmetix can beat all of the above prices :D

Tomaz
06-16-2010, 12:08 PM

PLEXUS PLASTIC CLEANER

Will this stuff clean off what is on my 3M now? Or is this more of a maintenance product?

Originally posted by G
Do you know what brand you have on your car?

Unfortunately, no.

It came with the car from the dealership, so I assume it is not the best of quality. Dealerships usually use the cheapest crap on the market to save on $$$.

If anyone knows what Kramer Mazda uses for the 3M, please chime in here.

G
06-16-2010, 12:20 PM
You are right Same cheaper by at least 40%. :nut:

Done completely free hand not with pre-cut kits and wrapped around the edges.

So at the price I was quoted. I can just redo them every 3-4 years if it does discolor.

Sam he doesn't use Ricochet any more. He uses a product Avery can out with a few months ago which he said has no texture and is like glass and is barely noticeable on a white car.

Yum....

I'm willing to bet Travis at Car Cosmetix can beat all of the above prices :D

Phenix
06-16-2010, 12:21 PM
ya they use the cheapest and they charge you a million dollars for it. I got my car fully covered for less than what you probably paid for the one part.

max_boost
06-16-2010, 12:39 PM

Will this stuff clean off what is on my 3M now? Or is this more of a maintenance product?

Doesn't hurt to give it a try.

Originally posted by G
You are right Same cheaper by at least 40%. :nut:

Done completely free hand not with pre-cut kits and wrapped around the edges.

So at the price I was quoted. I can just redo them every 3-4 years if it does discolor.

Sam he doesn't use Ricochet any more. He uses a product Avery can out with a few months ago which he said has no texture and is like glass and is barely noticeable on a white car.

Yum....

Ya he was telling me about the new film but I never caught the name of it so I assumed it was just a newer version of Ricochet. Anyway, ya I have the new Avery stuff on the NSX and it is glass like, so very nice. You can check it out sometime if you want.

G
06-16-2010, 12:47 PM
If its good enough for a NSX it's good enough for my beater.

Doesn't hurt to give it a try.

Ya he was telling me about the new film but I never caught the name of it so I assumed it was just a newer version of Ricochet. Anyway, ya I have the new Avery stuff on the NSX and it is glass like, so very nice. You can check it out sometime if you want.

G
06-16-2010, 12:48 PM
Probably better to just get it redone so it won't piss you off every time you see it.

Unfortunately, no.

It came with the car from the dealership, so I assume it is not the best of quality. Dealerships usually use the cheapest crap on the market to save on $$$.

VeilOctane
06-16-2010, 12:52 PM
I have used Avery instead of 3m...

no yellowing. its been 4 years.

only downside is it is not as thick as 3m its almost paper thin.

Tomaz
06-16-2010, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Phenix
ya they use the cheapest and they charge you a million dollars for it. I got my car fully covered for less than what you probably paid for the one part.

I doubt you paid more ;)

I guess i will try that cleaner out. If it doesn't work, the shit is coming off! Maybe redone with this "glass" stuff... I wouldn't mind seeing it in action on a white vehicle first though! :)

nixrx8
06-16-2010, 01:37 PM

Unfortunately, no.

Kramer Mazda sublets to Shadow Tinting for 3M. I'd imagine its the bargain stuff that Shadow uses.

Tomaz
06-16-2010, 02:10 PM
hmmmm

Looks like i will be having a word with cooper about this one... :whipped:

:poosie:

rage2
06-16-2010, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by G
From what I've seen on Beyond about your thing for Asian girls I take it you don't wax. :rofl:
Or trim. Wait, are we still talking about 3M? :rofl:

3M'ing the whole car has several advantages.

1. Door dings wont chip your paint. It's a lot cheaper and faster to repair a piece of 3M than to repaint a door. If it's dented, PDR will make it look brand new.

2. Washing the car is 100000x easier. 1/2 the time I don't even dry, and there's very little water spots. That's on a black car. Imagine that.

3. Even fading of paint. Well your car is white, that really shouldn't matter.

My M3 still looks brand new today after the full repaint I did 18 months ago. I'm 3M'ing every single car I own from here on.

BTW - there's a new 3M called Satin Guard, basically it's a 8mm Matte film (vs 2mm on my Matte Black film). Essentially turns your shiny paint into a Matte finish, if you're into that kinda thing.

Tomaz
06-16-2010, 03:13 PM
^^^How much was it to wrap your whole car?

rage2
06-16-2010, 03:14 PM
$4000

G
06-16-2010, 03:16 PM
I have considered a full wrap but it's freaking expensive.

Benyl, rage2 > me

Originally posted by rage2

Or trim. Wait, are we still talking about 3M? :rofl:

3M'ing the whole car has several advantages.

1. Door dings wont chip your paint. It's a lot cheaper and faster to repair a piece of 3M than to repaint a door. If it's dented, PDR will make it look brand new.

2. Washing the car is 100000x easier. 1/2 the time I don't even dry, and there's very little water spots. That's on a black car. Imagine that.

3. Even fading of paint. Well your car is white, that really shouldn't matter.

My M3 still looks brand new today after the full repaint I did 18 months ago. I'm 3M'ing every single car I own from here on.

BTW - there's a new 3M called Satin Guard, basically it's a 8mm Matte film (vs 2mm on my Matte Black film). Essentially turns your shiny paint into a Matte finish, if you're into that kinda thing.

Tomaz
06-16-2010, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by rage2
$4000

Jesus!!!! NVM!

I need a better paying job...

benyl
06-16-2010, 03:19 PM
So, a story for you. On my A pillar, something went across it and scratched the 3M pretty bad.

Turns out, there were multiple scratches and one deep cut.

Removed the 3M, paint was perfect. New piece of 3M put on, car back to normal. Cost me a case of beer.

To repaint the A-pillar would have meant being without my car for at least a week and would have cost $500 or more.

Full 3M treatment FTW.

signature7
06-16-2010, 03:19 PM
We wrap all of our cars in Okotoks, 2 white, one black and it's come out really well. I always will full body wrap our cars from here on out. I use Durashield. If I had to compare the black vehicle to the whites, the whites will always look better IMO for a full body wrap.

G
06-16-2010, 03:24 PM
Definitely no doubt a full wrap is ideal but I cannot justify the $4000 so in other words....I'm a cheap mother fucker. :banghead:

Originally posted by benyl
So, a story for you. On my A pillar, something went across it and scratched the 3M pretty bad.

Turns out, there were multiple scratches and one deep cut.

Removed the 3M, paint was perfect. New piece of 3M put on, car back to normal. Cost me a case of beer.

To repaint the A-pillar would have meant being without my car for at least a week and would have cost $500 or more.

Full 3M treatment FTW.

max_boost
06-16-2010, 03:33 PM
Man I don't know if it's cheap but I can't justify a full 3M wrap either. Just seems insane. I'll take my chances LOL

But I also won't be winter driving my car so ya. I got the WRX to take the abuse. The WRX has 3M too but because it's a lease, I barely wash it, never use the Plexus, actually I don't care. It's a daily and supposed to be dirty hahaha

Kloubek
06-16-2010, 03:37 PM
I've always hated the 3m film on cars. I'd rather risk the rock chips and repaint if I have to down the road.

Orbie
06-16-2010, 03:42 PM
I've been dealing with this on my car as well, white and the 3M is yellowing after one year. The front isn't so bad it's the pieces by my rear wheel wells that are killer, alot of dirt hits that spot so it makes sense that it gets dirty. Only thing is I'm pretty crazy with my car and I usually wash it once every 2 weeks usually more and the stuff still yellowed. I don't really want to say who I got the tint from since I don't believe it's their fault just the material. I'm switching up with Renee and seeing how her stuff holds up.

Oh and to Tomaz, don't waste your time with the Plexus on the 3M to try and restore it. That's the first thing I tried earlier this year when I saw the yellowing on my car. It doesn't work. I would recommend you buy the Plexus to maintain your new 3M if you get it redone. The stuff is amazing, easy to apply and makes the 3M smooth as glass. It makes future cleanings a lot easier but it won't restore already yellowed 3M. I think if I had used it from day one it would have prevented the yellowing but not sure. I use the stuff like crazy now though, once a week at least.

Zewind
06-16-2010, 03:54 PM
Ill have to try that cleaner, I havent done it once, but my front isnt completely yellow.

coop3rr
06-17-2010, 01:49 AM

shadowtint uses 3m scotchcal, we only use xpel on full hood kits that extend over 3m's largest film size, as xpel currently has the largest width film on the market.....

and also to add to the yellowing issue, we carry a cleaner from xpel that helps cleanse the pores in ppf, i'll pick up a bottle and tomaz, we will clean up your 3m, just remind me tomorrow i'll grab it.

aaannnnd on final edit, KRAMER is actually in house as of late, they sublet to us for tint, and soon that will be nil.