PDA

View Full Version : do you park in gear?

taemo
06-16-2010, 11:03 AM
is there's actually any advantage on parking on 1st gear or reverse?
or is it more for failover incase the e-brake fails?

also if yes, if facing uphill, should it be put on 1st or reverse?

GQBalla
06-16-2010, 11:07 AM
i always left mine in neutral as i have a automatic car starter.

other than that it makes sense to leave it in gear when on a slope.

if facing uphill put the car in 1st

Twin_Cam_Turbo
06-16-2010, 11:09 AM
I never leave my car in gear but I always leave my truck in gear.

Tomaz
06-16-2010, 11:11 AM
Only when my "spidey sense" tingles.

I rarely ever do, but when on a steep enough incline I do it.

JfuckinC
06-16-2010, 11:13 AM
I always do

my parking brake doesn't work :rofl:

shakalaka
06-16-2010, 11:16 AM
I only park in 1st gear if I am parking on a steep hill or just a steep road anywhere. Reason being it's just double safety I guess.

If it's straight up regular road, I just use the e-brake.

Zero102
06-16-2010, 11:17 AM
I always park in gear as well

dj_rice
06-16-2010, 11:20 AM
I've parked in first once and forgot I did, started car up and it lunged forward and almost took out the car in front of me so I never do it again.

supe
06-16-2010, 11:21 AM
Anyone answering this post who drives an automatic is a fool.

Ive read too many horror stories of not leaving the car in gear to put all my trust in the e-brake.

Kloubek
06-16-2010, 11:22 AM
I always put my car in gear. 1st if you are pointing up, reverse if you are pointing down.

supe
06-16-2010, 11:23 AM
Also I'm pretty sure going uphill the engine has most compression in first gear and down hill in reverse (but not much difference).

colinxx235
06-16-2010, 11:28 AM
Sometimes with a steep up incline, other than that I usually never do

shakalaka
06-16-2010, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by dj_rice
I've parked in first once and forgot I did, started car up and it lunged forward and almost took out the car in front of me so I never do it again.

I have done that too a few times, but it's just something you get used to. Now as soon as I sit in my car first thing I do is put on my seat belt then I check the gear to see if it's in neutral. It's almost second nature now, I don't even realize it.

taemo
06-16-2010, 11:32 AM
gotcha, so there's no actual advantage parking in gear other than the peace of mind your car will not be rolling forward or backward in case the e-brake fails.

yeah i tried parking in gear at one point too, then totally forgot lunging my car forward almost hitting a car as well so I said..never again.

rc2002
06-16-2010, 11:58 AM
I always leave it in gear unless tires are turned to the curb to prevent rolling. I used to just use the ebrake but now I don't trust it anymore.

I keep my ebrake tensioned properly and my rear brakes maintained. Even so, I've noticed my car move on the odd occassion when it was ebrake only.

It usually happens a while after it's been sitting (maybe the pads cool and contract slightly), but couple inches could mean an insurance claim. I'd rather not take that chance.

If you drive a manual and you don't check the gear first before releasing the clutch on startup, then you probably shouldn't be driving a manual.

Unknown303
06-16-2010, 11:58 AM
I always do as my parking brake doesn't grab...

spikerS
06-16-2010, 12:00 PM
I have always parked in gear when driving a standard vehicle. as stated before, it was second nature after putting my belt on to shake the shifter to make sure it was in neutral before starting, mainly because the standard vehicles I have had would not start without depressing the clutch all the way in.

V8 LOL
06-16-2010, 12:02 PM
I have a clutchless start so no

Ntense_SpecV
06-16-2010, 12:07 PM
I always park in gear...

I made a mistake one time when starting my dad's car when I was 14. I started the car and took my foot off the clutch and left it in gear. The car lunged forward and smashed the front door. My dad was not impressed. It was the last time he asked me to start the car for him in the morning...lol...and my last time I ever forgot to check if it was in neutral before taking my foot off the clutch.

scat330
06-16-2010, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by supe

Ive read too many horror stories of not leaving the car in gear to put all my trust in the e-brake.

:rofl:

Originally posted by Kloubek
I always put my car in gear. 1st if you are pointing up, reverse if you are pointing down.

It's just habit now.

I'm surprised some cars do not require you to have the clutch down on start....

adam c
06-16-2010, 12:12 PM
always leave mine in 1st with the e-brake and tires pointed to the proper direction, just habit

Sentry
06-16-2010, 12:15 PM
Yes, 99.9% of the time.

The only exception is when I've been beating it hard right up until the moment I park and want to let the turbo timer tick down.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
06-16-2010, 12:16 PM
The clutch pedal sensor seems to be a North American thing only. My JDM and all of the cars I have been in while in Europe don't require the clutch to be depressed to start.

CapnCrunch
06-16-2010, 12:16 PM
I never do, unless I'm on some crazy steep road or something.

-relk-
06-16-2010, 12:18 PM
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/306490/spotted-dumb-broad-e-brake-fail/

I always put it in gear just in case something like that happens. You never know and really how much work is it to put it in gear?

powerslave
06-16-2010, 12:19 PM
I always leave the car in gear when parked, and always have with all my cars.

Cos
06-16-2010, 12:21 PM

+1

I have seen people put it in 5th or 6th and because the engine rotates so slow the car still takes off. :rofl:

topmade
06-16-2010, 12:21 PM
Standard + remote start = Never park in gear, unless there is an issue with my hand brakes.

Super_Geo
06-16-2010, 12:24 PM
I always park it in 1st.

E-brakes on if it's a hill.
No E-brakes if it's flat.

jsn
06-16-2010, 12:30 PM

I've done that before in my garage. I forgot I had it in 1st so I lunged forward and hit a freezer we had in there. Luckily no damage, but I stopped parking in 1st after that. Maybe I'll try getting in the habit again since I do live on abit of a hill.

wintonyk
06-16-2010, 01:08 PM
I always park in gear. It goes seatbelt, clutch in, car neutral turn key.

Only when I had my MR2 and I would cool it down would I ever park in neutral.

I remember being taught this in drivers ed. years back and just developed the habit that never left.

Zero102
06-16-2010, 01:23 PM

Generally the gear ratios are pretty close between 1st and reverse, and there is also very little difference in effort required to spin the engine backwards when compared to spinning it forwards. Here is something to think about on this topic:

Some engines do not like to turn backwards, if spun backwards the slack goes to the wrong side of the timing belt and sometimes the tensioner will release allowing the timing to skip and potentially damage your engine on the next start.

If your nose is pointing uphill and your car is in 1st and rolls backwards, your engine would spin backwards (if it is possible to overcome the engine's resistance in 1st gear. Yes this is rare but still possible). For this reason I always use reverse when pointing uphill and 1st when pointing downhill.

On a side topic, in the winter if you park on a steep icy hill and use only the e-brake you only have 2 wheels holding your car in place, if you drive a FWD/AWD and leave it in gear then all 4 of your wheels will help hold it in place (or at least 3 of them).

Mibz
06-16-2010, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Super_Geo
I always park it in 1st.

E-brakes on if it's a hill.
No E-brakes if it's flat. Don't tell your friends that or your car's going to go rolling away one drunken night.

D'z Nutz
06-16-2010, 01:31 PM
Always in gear, always ebrake, inclined or not. It's just second nature now and I don't even think about it.

jwslam
06-16-2010, 02:03 PM
I watched my brother turn off the engine, let off the brake while the car was in drive and the car was rolling a good 3 meters while he was taking off his seatbelt before he realized :facepalm:

HHURICANE1
06-16-2010, 02:22 PM
Always e-brake, in gear if on a hill.

derran.m
06-16-2010, 02:49 PM
Always e-brake ... rarely put it in gear unless on a steep incline/decline. As a few guys have mentioned ... the oops of leaving it in gear when you start up... did that once, have never done it since, even the very rare occassion that I am lazy and just shut off my car while coasting, therefore leaving in gear when I leave. Regardless, only 1 instance that I stalled upon starting, and I still ALWAYS check what gear it is in before releasing the clutch pedal.

Modelexis
06-16-2010, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Zero102
Generally the gear ratios are pretty close between 1st and reverse, and there is also very little difference in effort required to spin the engine backwards when compared to spinning it forwards. Here is something to think about on this topic:

Some engines do not like to turn backwards, if spun backwards the slack goes to the wrong side of the timing belt and sometimes the tensioner will release allowing the timing to skip and potentially damage your engine on the next start.

If your nose is pointing uphill and your car is in 1st and rolls backwards, your engine would spin backwards (if it is possible to overcome the engine's resistance in 1st gear. Yes this is rare but still possible). For this reason I always use reverse when pointing uphill and 1st when pointing downhill.

QFT,
Everyone that said they do it the other way, who told you this was a good idea?
gheesh.:banghead:

When I park on a steep hill, I put it in the correct gear as stated above and let the car roll until it has stopped moving and then I apply the ebrake. Doing this in the incorrect gear just makes me cringe, even if it doesn't do any real damage, it just sounds like something a female would do.

swak
06-16-2010, 03:33 PM
with that being said, when i do park in gear, i usually throw it in second (just feels natural)...

... seeing the common (R/1st gear) trend, is there any advantage to that than putting the car in 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc.. gear?

Mar
06-16-2010, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Zero102

On a side topic, in the winter if you park on a steep icy hill and use only the e-brake you only have 2 wheels holding your car in place, if you drive a FWD/AWD and leave it in gear then all 4 of your wheels will help hold it in place (or at least 3 of them).
Spin the engine backwards? Most cars have a helix gear for reverse which spins the same way whether you're in reverse or not so the crankshaft always spins the same way.

Reverse is a stronger gear than first so if you want to use the strongest gear, use reverse. And it doesn't matter if you're parked up/down a hill because the helix gear is going to spin the same way regardless of which way the car is rolling. It doesn't really matter. That's the way I understand it.

thepyrofish
06-16-2010, 03:42 PM
I always park in first with the e-brake on. The only exception was my first Talon, which had a remote starter. Thankfully, the car didn't shut off until you closed the drivers door after getting out, thus preventing you accidentally leaving it in gear and having the car drive off when started.

I worked with a guy who's starter didn't have that feature. He left his truck in gear one day and when he went to warm it up before going home, the thing drove itself into the side of the building :rofl:

Mar
06-16-2010, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by thepyrofish
I always park in first with the e-brake on. The only exception was my first Talon, which had a remote starter. Thankfully, the car didn't shut off until you closed the drivers door after getting out, thus preventing you accidentally leaving it in gear and having the car drive off when started.

I worked with a guy who's starter didn't have that feature. He left his truck in gear one day and when he went to warm it up before going home, the thing drove itself into the side of the building :rofl: I don't think it's a feature, I think it's just how it's installed and installing it like that may be illegal. It could run over some kid playing in front of the car.

Redlined_8000
06-16-2010, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by adam c
always leave mine in 1st with the e-brake and tires pointed to the proper direction, just habit

+1 :werd:

Speed_69
06-16-2010, 03:50 PM
I always park in neutral as I have a remote car starter.

Modelexis
06-16-2010, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by swak
with that being said, when i do park in gear, i usually throw it in second (just feels natural)...

... seeing the common (R/1st gear) trend, is there any advantage to that than putting the car in 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc.. gear?

If you've ever tried to push start a car, you know that first will put up the most resistance and the higher the gear the less resistance.
So a really steep hill in 4th or 5th the car might still roll down.

derran.m
06-16-2010, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by Modelexis

If you've ever tried to push start a car, you know that first will put up the most resistance and the higher the gear the less resistance.
So a really steep hill in 4th or 5th the car might still roll down.

Just a lil confused as to why that is the case? I always thought the higher the gear, the more the resistance? How is it opposite from when the car is running, and higher gears from a stop = higher resistance?

Zewind
06-16-2010, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by topmade
Standard + remote start = Never park in gear, unless there is an issue with my hand brakes.

:werd:

bspot
06-16-2010, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by derran.m

Just a lil confused as to why that is the case? I always thought the higher the gear, the more the resistance? How is it opposite from when the car is running, and higher gears from a stop = higher resistance?

Bogus numbers, but they get the point across:

Roll your car 1m when it's in gear.

In first gear the engine has to rotate 5 times.

In 5th gear it only has to rotate once.

There is a lot more friction/resistance moving the engine 5 times as fast.

cjay^
06-16-2010, 04:36 PM
Never

I have a turbo timer

MGCM
06-16-2010, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by cjay^
Never

I have a turbo timer

IMHO i would still go back and put it in gear after it shuts off.......I NEVER leave a manual vehicle in neutral when I park, unless it's got an autostart.......... :( damnit now i miss my autostart

TT-fast
06-16-2010, 05:43 PM
ha +1 for anyone who has ever started a car in gear and forgot,

i was at a car auction and outside in the lot they line up all the cars, i was new to standard and this sti was in 1st gear, i got in started the car, it lunged forward smacked this van and crunched the hood a little and bent the bumper down,

got out looked around... know body saw me, so i just walked away haha, i was like 16 at the time.

Darkane
06-16-2010, 05:46 PM
Usually neutral.

When I park underground and it's cold out I'll park it in gear without the ebrake.

WIth the brake on all the metals will expand from the temp difference and I just hate the feeling and sounds of sticking pads on the rotors until it's all good.

not great for the Calipers either.

:thumbsup:

C4S
06-16-2010, 06:08 PM
Yes .. I usually do ..

jake1er
06-16-2010, 07:02 PM
I always leave it in gear, unless its -30 out so i can use my remote starter

Palmiros
06-16-2010, 07:20 PM
Always first gear and sometimes first and ebrake.

eglove
06-16-2010, 07:24 PM
always in first gear with e-brake on. no matter what, hills, parking lots, w/e

Super_Geo
06-16-2010, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by TT-fast
ha +1 for anyone who has ever started a car in gear and forgot,

i was at a car auction and outside in the lot they line up all the cars, i was new to standard and this sti was in 1st gear, i got in started the car, it lunged forward smacked this van and crunched the hood a little and bent the bumper down,

got out looked around... know body saw me, so i just walked away haha, i was like 16 at the time.

Nice story. Car auctions give out keys to 16 year old kids all the time and then let them run around the lot without anyone accompanying them... :rolleyes:

Ashers
06-16-2010, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Mar

Spin the engine backwards? Most cars have a helix gear for reverse which spins the same way whether you're in reverse or not so the crankshaft always spins the same way.

Reverse is a stronger gear than first so if you want to use the strongest gear, use reverse. And it doesn't matter if you're parked up/down a hill because the helix gear is going to spin the same way regardless of which way the car is rolling. It doesn't really matter. That's the way I understand it.

Actually, it's the foward gears that are helix or helical gears. Reverse is typically 3 spur gears, hence the whine when you reverse your car. In a foward gear the output shaft rotates counter to the input shaft (engine driven shaft). In reverse the output shaft rotates in the same direction as the input shaft. Helical gears will always reverse the direction of rotation, and the triple spur setup will always transmit torque in the same direction.

speeed
06-16-2010, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by eglove
always in first gear with e-brake on. no matter what, hills, parking lots, w/e
:werd:

Mar
06-17-2010, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by Ashers

Actually, it's the foward gears that are helix or helical gears. Reverse is typically 3 spur gears, hence the whine when you reverse your car. In a foward gear the output shaft rotates counter to the input shaft (engine driven shaft). In reverse the output shaft rotates in the same direction as the input shaft. Helical gears will always reverse the direction of rotation, and the triple spur setup will always transmit torque in the same direction. Weird, I can't find the article I originally read that in. You're right, I mixed up the helical and non-helical gears but I swore I read somewhere that they spun the shaft the same way no matter if it was in reverse or first. Just by the design of the gear.

KKY
06-17-2010, 10:52 AM
I'm neutral on this subject.

supe
06-17-2010, 11:28 AM

QFT,
Everyone that said they do it the other way, who told you this was a good idea?
gheesh.:banghead:

When I park on a steep hill, I put it in the correct gear as stated above and let the car roll until it has stopped moving and then I apply the ebrake. Doing this in the incorrect gear just makes me cringe, even if it doesn't do any real damage, it just sounds like something a female would do.

You must be obsessive compulsive. The point of putting your car in gear, is a backup if your ebrake fails. There are more important things to car about then the gear one chooses as a backup. Relax.

Can someone comment on this process of letting the car roll THEN applying the ebrake? I do this in reverse order.

Originally posted by swak

1st and reverse have the highest engine compression, try it yourself next time on a hill, put your car in the highest gear with the ebrake off, you might still roll, but in a lower gear it might not be the case.

I also like the tip about winter parking and how the ebrake only stops two wheels. There is also a similar argument about engine braking/regular braking in icy conditions but thats another topic.

supe
06-17-2010, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by KKY
I'm neutral on this subject.

Does anyone else have a gripe about this comment.

Modelexis
06-17-2010, 11:33 AM
The logic behind letting the car roll until it holds is the same as if you were to put wood behind the car to stop it from rolling, you don't put the wood blocks a foot away from the car so that if it starts rolling it will catch on the blocks, you roll the car so it sits against the blocks to begin with.

OCD is not selecting the correct gear, OCD is going through all the gears in the correct order and back and then selecting the gear to hold the car. :D

Freeskier
06-17-2010, 11:52 AM

Does anyone else have a gripe about this comment.

I lol'd. I put it in first usually, reverse if i'm facing down a steeper hill. Most of the time I don't bother with the e-brake on flat ground

Supa Dexta
06-17-2010, 11:56 AM
I parked my bike on a grade the other day and didnt click it in gear as I coasted in to park it, I stepped aside and started taking off my helmet when I heard the bike start moving, I was able to grab it just before it fell over.. :nut:

bjstare
06-17-2010, 12:12 PM

1st and reverse have the highest engine compression, try it yourself next time on a hill, put your car in the highest gear with the ebrake off, you might still roll, but in a lower gear it might not be the case.

Its got nothing to do with compression. Your engine has the same compression in neutral as it does in 5th. The wheels of the car will roll easier in a higher gear than a lower one because of the amount of torque the wheels put through to the engine. This amount of torque is a direct result of what gear its in.

Do you think when you're driving that your car's compression is higher in 1st gear than 3rd?:rofl:

Originally posted by Supa Dexta
I parked my bike on a grade the other day and didnt click it in gear as I coasted in to park it, I stepped aside and started taking off my helmet when I heard the bike start moving, I was able to grab it just before it fell over.. :nut:

Haha I've done this before, its scary as shit.

Edit: Better stay on topic. I always park with it in gear, there's no good reason not to have an extra measure protecting your car from rolling into something. +1 for the statement that if you start it in gear and launch into another car, you shouldn't be driving a manual.

Mibz
06-17-2010, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by KKY
I'm neutral on this subject. Well done.

sweeks
06-17-2010, 01:23 PM
1st and parking brake always, when I get in push the clutch drop it in neutral then start. All force of habit so when I get in an auto and go to push the clutch I feel like a fool.

Swank
06-17-2010, 02:12 PM
I have yet to own a vehicle where the parking brake cable doesn't get stretched and rendered useless after a couple of years, then you gotta pay to have it adjusted/tightened. I never reef on the parking brake, I pull it just enuf that the car doesn't roll then add another click or 2 to be sure. I always use the curb for hill parking so the only time I use the parking brake is to engage my remote start as it will not work when the car is in gear, and for a helluva good reason.

supe
06-17-2010, 02:19 PM
Another good reason to be extra cautious

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=d0b_1193335246&p=1

Modelexis
06-17-2010, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Swank
then you gotta pay to have it adjusted/tightened.

Wow, are you really that scared to pick up a wrench?
I retract my statement if you're female.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
06-17-2010, 02:28 PM
"Looks up, keeps fueling, looks up again, wait a minute..."

Swank
06-17-2010, 02:33 PM

Wow, are you really that scared to pick up a wrench?
I retract my statement if you're female.

Where the hell do you get the notion that fear would even be a factor? Time is money so why even go down a road that will lead to an inevitable repair if a maintenance free (relatively speaking) alternative exists???

Modelexis
06-17-2010, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Swank
Time is money

In the time it took you to type that post out I could have tightened my e-brake.
When you're scared it takes a little longer.
Oh noes! maintenance, on a car! omg who knew.
You drive with your lights off to save bulbs or what?

Time is money.

Every 6 months you have to turn a wrench 3 times... :drama:

Integra10
06-17-2010, 02:51 PM

+1 haha. But I still leave it in gear and no longer make that mistake.

Swank
06-17-2010, 03:09 PM

In the time it took you to type that post out I could have tightened my e-brake. - Guaranteed wrong.
When you're scared it takes a little longer. - Irrelevant, regardless of validity.
Oh noes! maintenance, on a car! omg who knew. - Everyone
You drive with your lights off to save bulbs or what? - Nope

Time is money. - Correct

Every 6 months you have to turn a wrench 3 times... :drama: - Again with the wrench?

See if you can keep this going off topic, I believe in you Forrest. I'm out.

TT-fast
06-17-2010, 05:55 PM
haha no te auction leaves all there cars running in a long line in there lot or they just had the keys in them, this is like 5 minutes before they open the gate to bring the cars through that auction ring or area