PDA

View Full Version : Toyota FT-86 production version to be named Toyota FR-S

jwocky
06-16-2010, 11:20 AM
from FT86club.com (http://www.ft86club.com)

The production name for the FT-86 concept car will likely be the Toyota FR-S (stands for Front-engine, Rear-wheel-drive, Sports car).

A scan of Toyota's recent trademark applications in the US and Canada reveals that such a name has just been registered.

I like it, reminds me of the MR2 name.

source
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=621

Onassis
06-17-2010, 02:28 AM
People here don't give a shit what it's gonna end up being called, we just want it now ! I really hope that this car will force Nissan to release a new Silvia.

slinkie
06-17-2010, 04:40 AM
why release a new silvia, it will only be overregulated, overweight, and probably 'aggressively' styled like the evo x et. al., namely retarded looking

Onassis
06-17-2010, 05:33 AM
I'm not sure about you but I think Nissan's design language and engineering is pretty spot on.

The design of the 300zx and 350z were radically different but they still sold in droves after that period of dormancy. Lets not forget how they also made the 370z faster, more powerful and lighter than the 350z.

Nissan seems to actually are about their performance fans and release these types of cars (Z-cars, GTR's, etc).

I have nothing but faith that if the S16 came to North America they would do extremely well.

Neil4Speed
06-17-2010, 06:59 AM
Great, Finally Toyota releases something even somewhat exciting. I remember just killing time at a dealership a couple months back while getting my oil changed and just sitting in a few cars. He asked me if I was looking for something:

Me: "Yeah, I guess I like sportier cars, any suggestions"

Him: "OHwaH WOH WOH, I KNOW WHATS RIGHT UP YOUR ALLEY"

Me: "Um.. okay"

Him: *Brings out catalog for Corolla XRS*

.... fuuuuuuu

Xtrema
06-17-2010, 09:20 AM
Toyota need a coupe more than Nissan or Honda

I don't think there's a case for Silvia when there is already a Z and GT-R.

bjstare
06-17-2010, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

I agree that Toyota needs a coupe more than Nissan or Honda, definitely.

The S16 would slot in nicely below the Z, to compete with the Genesis, Si; no?

Disoblige
06-17-2010, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed
Great, Finally Toyota releases something even somewhat exciting. I remember just killing time at a dealership a couple months back while getting my oil changed and just sitting in a few cars. He asked me if I was looking for something:

.... fuuuuuuu
:rofl: Thanks for the laugh lol

cream
06-17-2010, 01:12 PM
danggg, if i didnt just buy a car last year, i would definitely wait a good 4-5 years for this! if you read about the 'baby' ft86, they're planning for it to be 20K with 109BHP... sighs...
they should just give that engine to model and stick with a stronger engine. it looks (size-wise) similar to a g35. hopefully it matches in power..

Xtrema
06-17-2010, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by cjblair

Not really. Especially Hyundai have to put $4500 on the hood and Ford is practically give Mustang away for free.

Zewind
06-17-2010, 05:10 PM
ill still buy one.. one day

911fever
06-17-2010, 05:13 PM
i won't buy one but it looks cool

Dodobird
06-17-2010, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by cjblair

I agree that Toyota needs a coupe more than Nissan or Honda, definitely.

I think it'd be great for Nissan to have another level of sport coupe... The GT-R is obviously out of the majority of peoples price range, and the Z is just a tad more than what many would want to pay for a performance coupe, IMO.

C4S
06-17-2010, 08:27 PM
Sweet ..

Um .. question, how come Toyota make this baby nicer looking then the LFA?? :dunno:

heavyD
06-18-2010, 07:15 AM

There won't be a Silvia any time soon. Nissan is having issues right now moving 370Z's. I highly doubt that they would invest money in this economy in a low volume seller when they can't even sell 370Z's. And if they did they would just cannibalize 370Z sales much like Subaru has done giving the WRX nearly the same power as the STI.

Cos
06-18-2010, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed

.... fuuuuuuu

hahah they did that to me when I was first looking for my car, but it was in Kelowna, and they tried to sell me a Solara.

bjstare
06-18-2010, 08:58 AM

Not really. Especially Hyundai have to put $4500 on the hood and Ford is practically give Mustang away for free.

Yeah, thats a good point. Personally, the Mustang isn't a competitor for me though. I know the performance numbers are close and stuff, and they're in the same class and price range... I just don't put an american coupe on the same playing field as a japanese coupe. Buut I guess I'm not the general public.:dunno:

kbye
06-18-2010, 09:41 AM
Assuming the s16 comes with a 4-banger, there's going to be a market. If its cheaper than the Z and has two rear seats, it's already approaching a different market from the Z. Hell, its probably the same people who'd buy an altima coupe, so just replace that with the silvia and there you go. i'm sure FWD would not be missed.

heavyD
06-18-2010, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by slinkie
why release a new silvia, it will only be overregulated, overweight, and probably 'aggressively' styled like the evo x et. al., namely retarded looking

Now I know that looks are subjective but retarded? I can understand if it's not your cup or tea or this or that but I think it at least stands out and isn't as overwrought as previous generation cars. IMO it's not beautiful but it has nice lines and proportions.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk169/ddimar/52565662.jpg

natejj
06-18-2010, 10:10 PM
Any idea when this thing will make it to North America/Canada for sale?

Found it, early 2012.

Onassis
06-19-2010, 01:58 AM
Probably not for a couple more years. Apparently the Japanese don't like the Euro design so it's back to the drawing board. Hopefully they'll have another concept out for the Tokyo Auto Show

slinkie
06-19-2010, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by heavyD

Now I know that looks are subjective but retarded? I can understand if it's not your cup or tea or this or that but I think it at least stands out and isn't as overwrought as previous generation cars. IMO it's not beautiful but it has nice lines and proportions.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk169/ddimar/52565662.jpg

we both have our opinions...shrug

super high trunk/hood , it looks like darth vader, the weird brake duct etc

CHICHARITZHI
06-19-2010, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by jwocky
from FT86club.com ("http://www.ft86club.com")

The production name for the FT-86 concept car will likely be the Toyota FR-S (stands for Front-engine, Rear-wheel-drive, Sports car).

A scan of Toyota's recent trademark applications in the US and Canada reveals that such a name has just been registered.

I like it, reminds me of the MR2 name.

source
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=621

I'll give a respect the one who designed this car, very impressive and acid looks !

Cos
04-13-2011, 07:59 PM
Instead of making a new thread.... lol.... I tried to find the oldest and actually discussed version of the FT-86 thread.

A rumored Toyota FT-86-like model for the company's baby brand, possibly called the Scion FR-S/FT-S, will debut in New York on April 20th. Another concept version of the same car. Yeah!

First there was the FT-86, then the G Sports Turbo Concept, then the FT-86 II and now the Scion model being teased in a video for a New York Auto Show debut.

Great. Call it a Scion. Call it a Toyota. Call it a freakin' Daihatsu. We don't care. Just will someone please call us when we can drive the damn thing?

http://ca.jalopnik.com/5791698/the-scion-ft+sft+86-sports-car-is-real

I like the last line. The guy should have just pulled a Twin_Cam_Turbo

fuck this car

Link to video (no good fyi):

http://www.sciondimension.com/

Twin_Cam_Turbo
04-13-2011, 08:13 PM
In with my obligatory fuck this car.

redline
04-13-2011, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo

quoted for truth:devil:

soccernut
04-13-2011, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo

I was wondering why it took you that long...lol

In all seriousness though, is there any solid dates on when this car is coming out? or is toyota going to keep dangling it in front of everyone for the next 5 years?

Godfuader
04-13-2011, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by Cos
A rumored Toyota FT-86-like model for the company's baby brand, possibly called the Scion FR-S/FT-S, will debut in New York on April 20th.
Please be true! I'll gladly see any variation of this car at this point. Hopefully its here next week at the auto show.