PDA

View Full Version : LF: Experienced renovator

Crymson
06-16-2010, 02:59 PM
I'm looking for an experienced renovator who can work with me to re-do my condo as I'm living in it. Someone who is knowledgable of building code, electrical work, framing, hardwood flooring and drywall.

I'm looking for someone who's willing to work with me and a designer on some of the ideas i have.

Space is limited, as i have to stage the reno to be able to still live in my house and achieve the results i want. So i need someone willing to work steady days until a job is 100% complete. The last contractor i had would come and go over the course of a few weeks, leaving messes and tools and often running off for most of the day to do some other things. Making a 5 day job last nearly 3 weeks.

Budget is by no means unlimited, and i would prefer accurate estimates to hourly rates. I'm not looking for someting "quick an dirty", i want quality work delivered by a professional.

C_Dave45
06-17-2010, 07:21 AM
I can give you a couple of numbers. First question should be, though, is what's your budget. Roughly. I have guys who do small 10-20 thousand dollar reno's and other friends who regularly do 100-500 thousand dollar renos. Knowing what you're looking for can help narrow down the right guy. Also...even a top notch reno contractor will always be coming and going, and you might have a day or two of no activity. (It's impossible for a contractor to only have one job on the go....if he does...it usually means he's not that good, and therefore not that busy). Also, it sounds like you're going to need at least another 4 or 5 sub-trades...and the scheduling involved will always leave a day here or there where someone doesn't show up...all through no fault of your general contractor.

PM me some more info and I can give you some reputable numbers.

V8 LOL
06-17-2010, 10:20 AM
Don't you mean small 100 to 500k renos? The large ones are around 1 to 10 million for me

Crymson
06-17-2010, 10:46 AM
Well, that's great for you.

I'm looking for an honest and knowledgable guy who's willing to come work on my house for an honest amount of money. I don't care if they do billion dollar reno's or help old ladies change lightbulbs for free.

I want to spend as little as possible to get a quality job and not feel like i've been ripped off or lied to.

C_Dave45
06-17-2010, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Crymson
I'm looking for an honest and knowledgable guy who's willing to come work on my house for an honest amount of money.
I want to spend as little as possible to get a quality job so are you just looking for a "jack-of-all-trades" kinda guy to work by the hour? Can't help ya there. And good luck with the "quality" part of that.

Crymson
06-17-2010, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45
so are you just looking for a "jack-of-all-trades" kinda guy to work by the hour? Can't help ya there. And good luck with the "quality" part of that.

Doesn't matter. Contractor or single guy. Just someone who's going to listen to what I want, and accomplish the task competently.

garnet
06-18-2010, 02:13 AM
it'd help you to list out the work you need done into pieces, list details & size/scope
maybe start here by posting the first couple of jobs you need done, then later post for the next, and so on

anyone responding will know if one piece is in their line of experience, meaning tile vs paint, etc
one individual may not necessarily be right for all of it

that way you can get quoted on each, and select, going from there

when i would sub out work for a project, this is exactly how i do it, except now of course i have found my 'regulars' which i use for specific type work

Originally posted by Crymson

Doesn't matter. Contractor or single guy. Just someone who's going to listen to what I want, and accomplish the task competently.

swak
06-18-2010, 02:24 AM
dont most people hire a demo guy, carpenter, plumber, floor dude, drywaller, etc... for reno's?

Or do most reno companies deal with it all?

garnet
06-18-2010, 02:31 AM
any competent general contractor will, but OP is looking for someone to work along with him, and smaller portions of jobs, and such
which a typical general contractor will avoid, and for good reason, as he wants all the work done by his guys (for quality control), schedule to get in & done & out & paid

OP - FYI, don't give any deposits or advances at all, pay only when the work (or that stage of work) is completed & have the materials arranged for you to directly pay to the store, get all quotes in writing & use as signed work agreement before starting
also remember, that you are responsible for all the right permits to be in place, no matter what any contractor might tell you is "okay"

Originally posted by swak
dont most people hire a demo guy, carpenter, plumber, floor dude, drywaller, etc... for reno's?

Or do most reno companies deal with it all?

C_Dave45
06-18-2010, 05:37 PM
Also, if you're hiring sub-trades yourself...make sure you get clearance letters from WCB, otherwise you're on the hook for wcb coverage and their premiums.

C_Dave45
06-19-2010, 11:34 AM
Sorry Crymson...didn't see the PM until just now. I'm out of town. Sent you a pm. Keep in touch.