PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone tell me if these are good specs?

ICEBERG
06-16-2010, 03:13 PM
Hi guy's

Sorry, don't know too much about PC's.

Looking for a PC for work. We been using Mac's for work and the other day mine bit the dust. Now i like to get a PC for my office but don't know if the specs are good on it and if it is worth getting.

I am looking at the Sony VAIO L series with a touch screen. I was playing with one at Market Mall Sony store and really liked it.

The specs on it are:

Type: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor E7500
Speed: 2.93GHz
Front Side Bus Speed: 1066MHz
L2 Cache: 3MB

Type: DDR2
Installed: 4GB PC2-6400 (2GBx2)
Maximum: 12GB
Speed: 800MHz

Capacity: 500GB
Speed: 7200rpm
Interface: Serial ATA

Anyways, they are $1499 and i can get it for $1399. Is this a good price for all in one PC with these specs?

Thanks,

fSK5bcIHgKs

Thaco
06-16-2010, 03:16 PM
you're paying for the "perks" in this machine, like the 4 letter S word on the front, and the touch screen functionality.

this machine is 2 generations old in terms of technology, so no, it's not a good buy... without the 4 letter s word and the touch screen "fun" this thing would be worth about $500

scat330
06-16-2010, 03:17 PM
Macs use the same processors and stuff inside, BTW.

Specs look fine.

edit - two generations? How did you come to that conclusion? Just one, the Cores are out now.

Pahnda
06-16-2010, 03:36 PM
You're both kind of right... The E7500 came out early 2009 but it's based off the old Core 2 Duo 'concept'... The Nehalem (Core i series) came out late 2008. So timeline wise the E7500 is newer than the first of the i series but it's MUCH cheaper and generally an older technology.

In short, the E7500 is a cheap/old technology and the RAM in that machine is crap by today's standards. and you are really just paying for the design and the Sony name... The latter baffles me as they have a terrible record with quality with nearly everything. I would never seriously consider a Sony product worth more than $20.

But really, you're getting it in a cute package with some built in interface, and that's why it costs that much... If it really turns you on, go for it... Just know it's not fast by any stretch of the imagination.

EDIT: I would call an i7 920, 6GB of PC12800 RAM, and a 1GB Radeon 4870 decently fast, if you're wondering what 'fast' means to me... and the above would cost you, for a whole system, under $1000 easily.

ICEBERG
06-16-2010, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by scat330

Yeah, but i don't know what is good out there these days? The Mac that went in my office was like 8 or 9 year old Power Mac G4 with dual 1.25 GHZ...

My wife has a Macbook pro with 2.2 GHz Dual Core, my daughter has a Mac mini with 2 GHz core duo. I have 6 year old Power Mac G5 with dual 1.8 GHz..

So i am kind of lost in this GHz stuff and Video card stuff. :nut:

Thaco
06-16-2010, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by scat330

Specs look fine.

edit - two generations? How did you come to that conclusion? Just one, the Cores are out now.

yes, however macs also ahve a much less demanding operating system and programming.

and yes, 2 generations, after c2d was c2q and now "i" series.

ICEBERG
06-16-2010, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Pahnda

In short, the E7500 is a cheap/old technology and the RAM in that machine is crap by today's standards. and you are really just paying for the design and the Sony name... The latter baffles me as they have a terrible record with quality with nearly everything. I would never seriously consider a Sony product worth more than $20.

But really, you're getting it in a cute package with some built in interface, and that's why it costs that much... If it really turns you on, go for it... Just know it's not fast by any stretch of the imagination.

Thanks for the input..

Are sony computers reliable? Maybe i should stick with another Mac at the office?

Pahnda
06-16-2010, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by ICEBERG

Thanks for the input..

Are sony computers reliable? Maybe i should stick with another Mac at the office?

I've never personally owned one, but my girlfriend's laptop is a Vaio... Her wireless is brutally spotty and takes forever to connect to anything. That may be because she still has the Sony preinstalled software on it still. However, other than that she hasn't said she has had too many problems.

But then again, her laptop was one built and marketed only for Japan... Which (whenever I talk to her about Sony's horrible quality) she is pretty adamant is much higher quality when compared to Sony products marketed only outside Japan...:dunno: I call BS on that though. A fun tidbit: in Japan there is a 'Sony Timer' urban legend surrounding their well known poor quality.

Edit: In case people are wondering, here are the sony things I've had problems with:

1) Sony battery in my cellphone in Japan bulged up to the point where the cover on the phone was a bitch to put on.
2) Sony NiMH charger kept killing my SONY NiMH AAs for absolutely no reason, it kept stating they were at full charge but only lasted MAYBE 10 shots in my point and shoot camera.
3) Way back in Jr. High (or so) I got my first DVD burner, it came with the WRONG firmware on it. Firmware from a similar model but was only capable of CD burning... I got an update from Sony, and it was the right model, but locked out the CD burning!
4) A sony camera I had wouldn't work after a while, found it it was overheating on +20C days in the shade, awesome.
5) PS3 will randomly just output static and jump back and forth between working and static for a few minutes, then just work fine for a while (or days) before it has another spasm.
6) Was using a Sony alarm clock at best buy, pressed the menu button but I guess the menu isn't supposed to be accessed... The video playing in the background went to static and the whole thing locked up. I couldn't even reset it with the power button... And of course couldn't unplug it, since it had those demo-model alarm attachments on it.

ICEBERG
06-17-2010, 07:31 AM
I never had a sony computer but bought lot of stuff from Sony over the years like TV's, camcorders, Digital Cameras, Blu Ray players, PS3, and never had one problem with their product. Maybe i was one of the lucky ones.:dunno:

Can anyone else recommend another brand that is good. I am looking to free up some office space and desktop space. So basically i am looking for a All-In-One system that is around $1000-$1500..

Any ideas would be great.

Cheers,

scat330
06-17-2010, 09:03 AM
Girlfriend has a sony vaio laptop with an i3, discrete radeon graphics, HDMI out, it's perfect. Wifi is fine (not sure what model pahnds has).

This is latest model, came out last month. Black one from sonystore, about 900 bucks..