PDA

View Full Version : Canadian TV 'crap': Alberta culture minister

masoncgy
06-16-2010, 03:26 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/story/2010/06/16/calgary-blackett-banff-television-comments-backlash.html

Alberta Culture Minister Lindsay Blackett was back-pedaling Wednesday after his disparaging comments about the quality of Canadian television sparked an outcry.

Blackett was participating in a panel discussion at the Banff World Television festival on Monday when he made the remarks.

"I sit here as a government representative for film and television in the province of Alberta and I look at what we produce, and if we're honest with ourselves.… I look at it and say 'Why do I produce so much shit? Why do I fund so much crap?'" Blackett told the panel, to ripples of laughter.

"Why do the broadcasters not pick up more Canadian content? Because the Canadian content isn't what it should be," he continued.

* He's right... most Canadian produced television IS crap!

Masked Bandit
06-16-2010, 03:28 PM
It's funny how nobody likes hearing the truth sometimes eh?

Now I guess to be fair I suspect Canadian television producers have no where near the budget to work with as the big American networks either.

Idratherbsidewayz
06-16-2010, 03:30 PM
Lot of LOL's from them quoting Twitter usernames. That's quality reporting!!

Yea he's definitely not wrong, I always see Canadian content as a sad retarded little bro to big budget American shows. We still produce good actors and comedians though!

masoncgy
06-16-2010, 03:32 PM
Of course the CBC would make a stink about it, considering their programming is probably the worst of the worst.

benyl
06-16-2010, 03:34 PM
The only program that I have seen on an American channel that comes out of Canada is Degrassi.

How sad is that?

syeve
06-16-2010, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by benyl
The only program that I have seen on an American channel that comes out of Canada is Degrassi.

How sad is that?

Trailer park boys, Beachcombers and I think Danger Bay was Canadian. Those and Degrassi are the only canadian shows that I can even think of. I am sure there is more, but these were badass. The rest suck.

Anomaly
06-16-2010, 03:51 PM
No love for corner gas?

:dunno:

e31
06-16-2010, 04:00 PM
Funny thing... I sent an email to The Comedy Network (CTV) the other night because I finally got tired of seeing Rick Mercer re-runs from 1997. That and there was a commercial for Mr Clean that would keep looping during the break (playing twice during every commercial). Also Brent Butt's television shows are the TV equivalent of what Nickelback is to music (that is meant to be derogatory).

I really can't wait to see the day when all TV & Radio spectrum is recovered and re-licensed to facilitate broadband.

TorqueDog
06-16-2010, 04:00 PM
I agree with the guy completely.

Kloubek
06-16-2010, 04:08 PM
Is "Flashpoint" not Canadian? That's a good show!

I think very few of the programs that interest the masses are actually produced in Canada. Until we MAKE decent stuff, one cannot expect the CBC to SHOW decent stuff.

TomcoPDR
06-16-2010, 04:13 PM
Bring back Jonovision.

And Street Cents

colsankey
06-16-2010, 04:22 PM
What about flashpoint and the bridge? Both decent Canadian TV shows and aired in the US

Redlyne_mr2
06-16-2010, 04:23 PM
Trailer Park boys lol.

speedog
06-16-2010, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by syeve

Trailer park boys, Beachcombers and I think Danger Bay was Canadian. Those and Degrassi are the only canadian shows that I can even think of. I am sure there is more, but these were badass. The rest suck. SCTV?

broken_legs
06-16-2010, 05:56 PM
http://www.gigglescomedyagency.com/images/actsmed/bullard.jpg

Don't forget the always riveting and insightful Geroge Stroubolopoulusoulslpoopipoiuusllsouss

Jim Rome99
06-16-2010, 06:17 PM
Canadian TV is garbage. Total waste of taxpayer money. Why should we subsidize this crap? The only thing worth half decent that has come out of Canada in the last twenty years has been Trailer Park Boys. That's one show.

[Yu]
06-16-2010, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by broken_legs

Don't forget the always riveting and insightful Geroge Stroubolopoulusoulslpoopipoiuusllsouss

http://www.snoriderswest.com/features/red_paperclip/images/george_stroumboulopoulos.jpg

:facepalm:

TomcoPDR
06-16-2010, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by broken_legs

lol wat? That's Mike Bullard... saw him at YYC once.

01RedDX
06-16-2010, 06:40 PM

RY213
06-16-2010, 08:31 PM
That Mike Bullard late night show years back was the single worst show ive ever seen. I wanted to punch him in the nose every time i channel surfed onto his show..

ZenOps
06-16-2010, 08:50 PM
Yes. And we have a provincial culture minister?

urbannomad
06-16-2010, 08:56 PM
+1 for strombolopolous and Jonovision! :thumbsup:

broken_legs
06-16-2010, 10:34 PM
I'm inventing the new media. Instead of writing a sentence "Blah blah blah Mike Bullard". I just posted a picture of him. That is my statement. There is no comment necessary when you see a mug shot of Mike Bullard. The feeling you get inside like you want to punch a puppy in the face is the message.

This is separate comment:

No picture is necessary.

ZorroAMG
06-17-2010, 12:13 AM
Flashpoint is Canadian.

Seriously, we let unfunny clowns like Brett butt and his overacting wife have two shows, taking up all the funding and we wonder why our production values are so low. TV is on its way out anyhow....webisodes and features are where it's at.

slinkie
06-17-2010, 05:55 AM
okay im broke and all i have is the ghetto antenna and all i get is "SEE-TEEEEEE......vee" and cbc, and ya can't remember the last time i actually watched a show.

Masked Bandit
06-17-2010, 08:23 AM
Russell Peters?

Hockey Night In Canada?

Kevin O'Leary and his Dragon's Den / Shark Tank?

I guess there's three decent Canadian content products.

Zewind
06-17-2010, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
Russell Peters?

Hockey Night In Canada?

Kevin O'Leary and his Dragon's Den / Shark Tank?

I guess there's three decent Canadian content products.

I thought Shark Tank was just the american version of Dragon Den.

Hockey Night In Canada that doesnt count :P it just Don Cherry talking for 10 - 15 mins

Overall I agree - canadian shows do suck, but I also agree they dont get nearly as much money as american shows.

sexualbanana
06-17-2010, 09:46 AM
Canadian shows I like(d):
Intelligence
Flashpoint
The Hour
Wild Roses

Unfortunately half those shows are canceled.

Kennyredline
06-17-2010, 12:16 PM
I think the issue is the language buddy used, not what he was saying. He is right, I'm embarrassed to watch Canadian TV; it all looks like it was filmed with a Sony Handicam using "actors" from a high school somewhere.

slinkie
06-17-2010, 02:54 PM
oh okay that kevin o'leary guy is pretty cool.
my buddy works at that atomic bubbletea place and they were one of the first to get backed by that show.

sexualbanana
06-17-2010, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Kennyredline
I think the issue is the language buddy used, not what he was saying. He is right, I'm embarrassed to watch Canadian TV; it all looks like it was filmed with a Sony Handicam using "actors" from a high school somewhere.

He said it himself in the article I read in the Herald this morning that no one would've cared if he had said "crap"

masoncgy
06-17-2010, 02:59 PM
Kids in the Hall was a good one... uhhh... I like Dragon's Den too... and Hockey Night in Canada is alright, even though I do find that I watch the playoffs on NBC as much as possible, just a better quality product (minus Pierre McGuire, of course).

I suppose Canada's Worst Driver is alright too... though it's pretty low budget... I guess it's just the content that's decent.

I definitely do not watch a lot of Canadian programming though.

bituerbo
06-17-2010, 03:05 PM
Holmes on Homes? Sometimes I'll be surprised when the 'Government of Canada' logo appears after some of the shows I watch.

masoncgy
06-17-2010, 03:11 PM
Holmes on Homes used to be alright... I liked it before the dude's ego swelled... now he's just irritating.

Pahnda
06-17-2010, 03:17 PM
Corner Gas is crap, I can't believe people actually watch that.

Girl having trouble opening Jar: Can you help?
*Brent Asshole opens it easily*
GHTOJ: Am I that weak?
BA: Nope, it's skill bla bla doesn't matter how skinny your arms are... *Looks at her arms closer* But if your arms are that skinny it does matter

HA HA HA, HILARIOUS! Why do we produce such shit?

As with most sports it seems we have awesome talent but can never retain it.

colt22
06-17-2010, 03:31 PM
Trailer Park Boys!!!!!

other than that, yes cdn tv sucks ass

masoncgy
06-17-2010, 03:32 PM
hahaha... I'm surprised that Corner Gas doesn't have a laugh track... talk about a whole ton of awkward silence.

thrasher22
06-17-2010, 03:38 PM
Less than Kind is Canadian and pretty good

OLN has a bunch of Canadian shows, I'm a huge fan of Survivorman and Departures.

People always compare Canadian media to what the states puts out, which I don't think is fair. We have the population of the state of California... lol there are just less people producing shows, and a smaller market to watch it.

masoncgy
06-17-2010, 03:43 PM
Double post

msommers
06-17-2010, 03:49 PM
North of 60! LOLOLOLOL

scat330
06-17-2010, 03:57 PM
I agree it's true haha

Sugarphreak
06-17-2010, 05:46 PM

Maxt
06-17-2010, 07:14 PM
Intelligence was a good show, but yeah cancelled.. Trailer park boys, kids in the hall were good. I don't mind the Doc zone on cbc..
I often wonder how PBS can be so good yet CBC can be so bad.

RY213
06-17-2010, 11:23 PM
What about all those Anne of Green Gables/newfie crap type shows? I hate that shit...

Rat Fink
06-18-2010, 06:38 AM

Schwa
06-18-2010, 11:58 AM
Kenny vs Spenny?

sexualbanana
06-18-2010, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Schwa
Kenny vs Spenny?

Personally, I don't like Kenny vs Spenny but at the same time I know what kind of audience it attracts and it does a pretty good job of it.

I think his comments mostly pertained to the matter of
- We have a lot of Canadian talent that have made big impacts in entertainment in the USA, but how is that they do so well there and not here in Canada?
- If you think a network like CBC's Canadian content is crap, imagine what the government funds that doesn't make it on TV?
- Though it was in reference to his role as Alberta's Culture Minister, I think he's referring to Canada as a whole. I think he's questioning if it is an institutional failure that the government hasn't done a proper job screening and distributing government funding to TV/film projects.

thetransporter
06-18-2010, 06:21 PM
is this why canadians subscribe to dish network?

kras
06-19-2010, 11:05 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TR3QHoqfhX8