PDA

View Full Version : Truck Shaking?

McFadden123
06-16-2010, 04:34 PM
Hi there, I am having a problem that I need some help with before I take it in to a mechanic. I was driving on the highway when all of a sudden my truck started shaking so I pulled over and it continued to shake. I drove home and the shaking would stop for a few moments but then start shaking again. There was also a fairly loud noise that went along with it and the check engine light came on. It would also not go over 80 km/hour. My sister told me about something simular happening to her truck and a mechanic told her it was a rock that got stuck somewhere (can't remember what he said) and that it would just fall out, which it did and her truck has been fine since. Does anyone know what else it could be or if it's likely this could be a rock and it will just fall out? I checked all the fluids and they are fine. So if anyone has any advice I would love to hear it. Thanks.

noma1
06-16-2010, 04:38 PM
you need a better explanation... what exactly shakes?. the whole motor, certain part, the whole thing?lol

McFadden123
06-16-2010, 04:41 PM
The whole thing shakes. Steering wheel, exhaust pipe, motor...everything

derran.m
06-16-2010, 04:55 PM
Check engine and tranny mounts - i had this happen on my old sunbird, turned out to be the engine mount, therefore when i accelerated it shook because it was not properly mounted to the vehicle... that's all i can think of ...

VetteRacin
06-18-2010, 08:56 AM
Any particular speeds it starts at?

Kloubek
06-18-2010, 09:03 AM
It's the check engine light that is throwing me off here. Also, the fact you cannot get up to speed. Combine both of those, and one has to think drivetrain.

Engine mounts are possible, but there are no sensors on mounts (obviously), so it would have to be reading an error somewhere else in the engine. (Or, transmission, if it is a tranny mount). In addition to this, either of these issues shouldn't keep him from reaching speed.

I'm at a bit of a loss. Another thing that is throwing me off is that the OP is not mentioning any odd noises or smells. So the entire car is shaking like a motherfucker and won't get up to speed, yet there are no indications of where it is coming from, either by scent or sound? Odd.

Unknown303
06-18-2010, 09:34 AM
I hope I don't sound crazy but what kind of truck is this? or has this been mentioned somewhere?

Cos
06-18-2010, 09:56 AM
If it is an F150 the IWC Valve defaults to 4x4 if there is a failure. So if the IWC valve fails you would be kicking in and out of 4x4 which could cause chatter around corners.

Kloubek
06-18-2010, 10:04 AM
^^^ Interesting thought, but he says this happened when he was driving on the highway. As such, he would not be turning any corners sharp enough to noticably cause the chatter.

Cos
06-18-2010, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek
^^^ Interesting thought, but he says this happened when he was driving on the highway. As such, he would not be turning any corners sharp enough to noticably cause the chatter.

true, he didnt really give enough detail for me to really know what he was doing.

Maybe he threw a weight? I know our work truck rims pack up with mud and it is like throwing a weight too.

Unknown303
06-18-2010, 10:27 AM
My main concern for him was if it's a truck with SFA if the steering dampener goes the front tires can chatter like crazy ar virtually any speed. Although it usually means that there is trackbar failure. If that was the case ever minute behind the wheel is further damaging every steering component under the truck.

Rat Fink
06-18-2010, 05:55 PM