PDA

View Full Version : Texting and driving

supe
06-17-2010, 02:00 PM
Do you do it?

scat330
06-17-2010, 02:03 PM
Stopped at a red light, or on deerfoot at 140km/h in the rain, tailgating a retard with his hazard lights on.

eglove
06-17-2010, 02:04 PM
i only do when i am stopped at lights. trying to break the habit completely though. i wish my double din HU would display them on it's screen, now that would be awesome

Tik-Tok
06-17-2010, 02:06 PM
Lights, and slow slow speeds. Not just text, but talking on cell as well. I'm fully capable of doing both at high speeds, I just choose to be on the safe side.

inline6turbo
06-17-2010, 02:09 PM
I can admit I do it all the time. But I'm the stig, and can do it while lapping at the track :poosie:

Tomaz
06-17-2010, 02:11 PM
I text at red lights and open highway.

Phone calls through bluetooth.

I wish my voice-texting would work!

Sentry
06-17-2010, 02:46 PM
Guilty. But yeah only when stopped.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
06-17-2010, 02:48 PM
I read only at traffic lights.

slinkie
06-17-2010, 02:50 PM
only in playground zones http://ugly.s2.bizhat.com/images/smiles/icon_cool.gif

LadyLuck
06-17-2010, 03:11 PM
I can text while im not looking at the keyboard on my berry :poosie:

ottamania
06-17-2010, 03:17 PM
I do it. I am not suppose to be tho based on company rules.

Kloubek
06-17-2010, 03:18 PM
The few times I have, I totally realize my eyes are not on the road. Yes, I can hold it up, but my eyes focus on the phone instead of the road. I realize it is dangerous, and have tried to curb my doing so... pretty successful up to this point too.

Wolf69
06-17-2010, 03:44 PM
I thought there was a law for this ? June 1?

V8 LOL
06-17-2010, 04:14 PM
I do it all the time, I got it down to a science when i was driving 8 hours a day, i would send and receive about 10,000 texts a month so ya...

SpeedIllusion
06-17-2010, 04:29 PM
Must stop doing this...but when your friends like to text and change plans at the last minute, it's hard not to respond.

K3RMiTdot
06-17-2010, 04:40 PM
Everytime ive tried i end up crossing into other lanes, ive put my phone away until im stopped at a red light. better safe than sorry

TYMSMNY
06-17-2010, 04:43 PM
Red lights - two handed

Everything else...one hander. :D

talonboi
06-17-2010, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by TYMSMNY
Red lights - two handed

:rofl:

inline6turbo
06-17-2010, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by TYMSMNY
Red lights - two handed

So hard with an iphone! You must master the left knee skill.

Luang
06-17-2010, 05:14 PM
txt ne where n everywhere y should driving stop me :thumbsup:

Idratherbsidewayz
06-17-2010, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by LadyLuck
I can text while im not looking at the keyboard on my berry :poosie:

LOL, such nimble fingers!! Must be all the practice you get... ;)

I can't seem to text with one hand, the time it takes pisses me off. Picking safe spots while driving, with my knee on the steering wheel and firing off a quick text seems to work.

TYMSMNY
06-17-2010, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by inline6turbo

So hard with an iphone! You must master the left knee skill.

Left knee only used in an "emergency" situation. Even then I would need to hold the phone above the steering wheel and text and watch for cars. I'm horrible.

I've stopped driving and email/texting as much as possible now as it's not really life threatening if the email/text doesn't get answered in the next 5 min.

I do however answer calls but only through BT.

Novus
06-17-2010, 10:24 PM
Only glance at it when I get it and if it's important, I'll just call the person. Texting is supposed to be a convenience. It's not like the person's on the other line, it can wait.

streethondas
06-17-2010, 10:39 PM
I used to do it at red lights before I drove in to the person in front of me at a red light, Now I just do it while I drive :facepalm:

davesparky6
06-18-2010, 09:07 AM
I read somewhere that people who text while driving have their eyes off the road for 8 seconds at at time.... Next time you're driving try and shut your eyes for that long, I made it to 3 and was terrified. :thumbsdow

Idratherbsidewayz
06-18-2010, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by davesparky6
I read somewhere that people who text while driving have their eyes off the road for 8 seconds at at time.... Next time you're driving try and shut your eyes for that long, I made it to 3 and was terrified. :thumbsdow

I read somewhere that the internet isn't a reputable source for any information and you should use your brain instead of doing ludicrous things like closing your eyes while driving.

You still have both eyes open, and while the area in front may not be in focus, you can see things moving around and lights flashing. Comparing it to completely closing your eyes is absolutely retarded.

davesparky6
06-18-2010, 09:18 AM
^^^Fair enough, people are still being killed by people who's eyes are not focused on the area in front of them... :banghead:
Shouldn't be texting and driving IMO

403Gemini
06-18-2010, 09:29 AM
Guilty... But I normally only do it at red lights. I have been known to do it between 162nd and 194th on my way home though (put the car on cruise control and 1 handed text lol) - this is of course when im generally the only person on the road.

HondaLove
06-18-2010, 10:18 AM
Stopped at lights, and i find myself doing it driving down the highway with no cars around me. otherwise i try and hold off until im stopped.

derran.m
06-18-2010, 10:50 AM
Didn't vote as no answer that says MAYBE ... when I'm delivering pizzas around town, HELLLLL NO!!! too many idiots that like to target the car with the sign on the roof :nut:
Otherwise when commuting to work on the highway and the such, hands free driving for me lmao ... my left knee is very well versed in steering AND clutch LMAO

And how anyone can use a crackberry with only one hand ... damn u got mad skillz lol i have tried and just cannot do it ... it's like sitting here now at the keyboard, no way I can do it with one hand, I need both hands going full speed ahead :P

theken
06-18-2010, 11:32 AM
In a truck 12+ hours a day. All day I am either on beyond or texting.

spike98
06-18-2010, 11:38 AM
Voice to text FTW

shakalaka
06-18-2010, 11:43 AM
I can text without looking at my phone, but I still mostly text if I am stopped at a red light or something.

Mitsu3000gt
06-18-2010, 11:47 AM
I can easily text without looking at the phone, so if I need to send a quick message I will do so at a stop light or whatever.

2EFNFAST
06-18-2010, 12:06 PM
Neva - I don't own a cell phone, let alone a blackberry or iphone or whatever :rofl:

2ndgenlude
06-18-2010, 12:17 PM
these answers are actually quite frightening. thank god for the new law. keep your eyes on the fucking road if your driving, whether you think your good at it or not. this sounds a lot like the people who have a 6 pack and drive saying they drive better with a slight buzz. not saying they are the same, its just the same mentality.

V8 LOL
06-18-2010, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by 2ndgenlude
these answers are actually quite frightening. thank god for the new law. keep your eyes on the fucking road if your driving, whether you think your good at it or not. this sounds a lot like the people who have a 6 pack and drive saying they drive better with a slight buzz. not saying they are the same, its just the same mentality. Noob ... Learn to tnd

Modelexis
06-18-2010, 01:00 PM
Today a guy in an SUV charged up the on ramp on the shoulder at full speed into solid traffic and almost hit a guy that was trying to get into the exit lane going 2kms/h.

So he cuts this guy off, honks while doing so, and cuts through traffic, and I'm two cars back and I see he has his hand to his ear and is talking on his cell phone.

:banghead:

D'z Nutz
06-18-2010, 01:02 PM
I text at stop lights only. There's two good reasons for this: 1) anytime I want to read a text, I never hit any red lights and 2) when I want to text someone at a red light, it changes to green almost immediately :rofl:

iCreep
06-18-2010, 01:05 PM
full touch screen qwerty is hard to text with...thank god I can change mine to t9 though. makes things a lot easier to text with 1 hand without looking at the phone.

Sil80_D
06-18-2010, 02:47 PM
i only glance at texts at high speeds to see if it's important and only type at red lights. Calls also really bug me while I'm driving stick so i never pick up... well... unless on highways where speeds are constant

Chandler_Racing
06-18-2010, 02:56 PM
Never, I hate using text messages though.

ercchry
06-18-2010, 02:59 PM
text, eat a burger, and talk to my passenger all while turning left and accelerating from a standstill... while driving stick... and getting road head :poosie:

adidas
06-18-2010, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by ercchry
text, eat a burger, and talk to my passenger all while turning left and accelerating from a standstill... while driving stick... and getting road head :poosie:

so obviously ur female companion doesnt have anything in her mouth? lol

anyways, txting on the blackberry was a piece of cake, i wouldnt even have to look at the keys. The iphone on the other hand is impossible so i reply to the urgent txts right away the others wait for a red light or so.

Also seems like a ton of ppl lately dont know how to drive and talk at the same time, pull over u fucks.

HondaKid
06-18-2010, 06:26 PM
At highway speeds, each second is the same as a football field. Feel lucky?

When I see someone texting or using a phone (non highway), I like to snuggle close, still on my side of the white line. Need a paint touch up on the one side, one day this will work.

ddduke
06-18-2010, 07:35 PM
Do it all the time, spend anywhere from 4-8 hours a day driving and I recieve about 30 e-mail a day. Also, every person I work with hates making calls so we only communicate via bbm.

I think I have it down to a science. Rest my elbows on the steering wheel so I can see the road while writing super long texts or emails.

wes_v
06-18-2010, 08:06 PM
I do it all the time...

Kobe
06-18-2010, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by adidas

so obviously ur female companion doesnt have anything in her mouth? lol

anyways, txting on the blackberry was a piece of cake, i wouldnt even have to look at the keys. The iphone on the other hand is impossible so i reply to the urgent txts right away the others wait for a red light or so.

Also seems like a ton of ppl lately dont know how to drive and talk at the same time, pull over u fucks.

This!!!

When i had my blackberry I could text no problem while driving, I would never have to look at the keys, but with the iPhone it is a huge pain in the ass so I don't do it as much...

FiveFreshFish
06-18-2010, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by HondaKid
At highway speeds, each second is the same as a football field.

Sure, if the highway speed is 330 km/h.

theken
06-19-2010, 02:56 AM
Originally posted by HondaKid
At highway speeds, each second is the same as a football field. Feel lucky?
To be EXACT, you are travelling 30.6 m/s
or 33.42 yards/s. or 1/3 of a football field a second. at 110 km/h

Neil4Speed
06-19-2010, 11:44 AM
Jesus, I can't believe so many people text while driving. Thats just incredibly reckless imo. Seriously guys, increases your chance of an accident 23 fold! It can be more dangerous than being "legally drunk" and driving.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/31545004/Texting_And_Driving_Worse_Than_Drinking_and_Driving

Seriously, how many texts have you guys recieved where you went, "fuck, good thing I responded that in time or I/they would have been fucking owned"?

I think stopped at a light is "ok", and I do sometimes, but generally just read quickly. I nearly got owned by a cement truck while stopped at a stop light I think its pretty important to keep alert when stopped.

Talking and driving is a different matter all together, but in my eyes, a significantly lesser evil.

This is a great test for anyone more interested.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/09q2/texting_while_driving_how_dangerous_is_it_-feature

But like anything, it takes a few innocent people to die until people realize. I always think about what I would say/do and how I would feel if I killed someone because of my obvious carelessness.

I don't mean to sound like a mom, but I am just a bit surprised.

Spinzz 4
06-20-2010, 02:59 PM
do it all day everyday

josephmar
06-20-2010, 05:52 PM
all day everyday :)

cono_sur
06-21-2010, 09:30 PM
If I absolutely need to, then only while I'm waiting at a red light. Otherwise, no.

max_boost
06-21-2010, 10:25 PM
I do but only if it is safe to do so.

KandabashiDevil
06-21-2010, 10:31 PM
Only needed to read the first page of this thread to confirm, for the millionth time, how pathetic most of you are ... Seriously ... Texting and driving? How many of you girls are still in puberty? Or maybe none of you can afford a hands-free device with your allowance?

:rolleyes:

Spinzz 4
06-22-2010, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by KandabashiDevil
Only needed to read the first page of this thread to confirm, for the millionth time, how pathetic most of you are ... Seriously ... Texting and driving? How many of you girls are still in puberty? Or maybe none of you can afford a hands-free device with your allowance?

:rolleyes: just because nobody texts you doesn't mean some of us aren't getting a couple hundred texts a day... Learn some skills...

ercchry
06-22-2010, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by KandabashiDevil

:rolleyes:

sorry... wait..... hands-free texting?! do tell... my bluetooth only does calls :(

btimbit
06-22-2010, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
The few times I have, I totally realize my eyes are not on the road. Yes, I can hold it up, but my eyes focus on the phone instead of the road. I realize it is dangerous, and have tried to curb my doing so... pretty successful up to this point too.

Same. I've caught myself doing it and not remembering the last kilometer or so of road. It's something I try and shake and unless it's important, I just wait until I'm stopped.

Awd-Tsi
06-29-2010, 10:46 AM
Do it everyday...

rook
06-29-2010, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed
Jesus, I can't believe so many people text while driving. Thats just incredibly reckless imo. Seriously guys, increases your chance of an accident 23 fold! It can be more dangerous than being "legally drunk" and driving.

Agreed.

Amazing how scary a Beyond thread can get ... driving is a skill. Texting and driving is just stupidity. I don't understand why people HAVE TO REPLY RIGHT NOW, DAMMIT. Voice mail and call display -- how about using them? Hands free is a better option, but it's still a distraction. Have we really become so hooked on instant gratification, that we can't wait 10 minutes until we're safely parked?

The only reason I like reading threads like this is to remind myself why I need to be so alert at all times on the road -- in my car and especially on my motorcycle.

Awd-Tsi
06-29-2010, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by rook

Agreed.

Amazing how scary a Beyond thread can get ... driving is a skill. Texting and driving is just stupidity. I don't understand why people HAVE TO REPLY RIGHT NOW, DAMMIT. Voice mail and call display -- how about using them? Hands free is a better option, but it's still a distraction. Have we really become so hooked on instant gratification, that we can't wait 10 minutes until we're safely parked?

The only reason I like reading threads like this is to remind myself why I need to be so alert at all times on the road -- in my car and especially on my motorcycle. driving is a skill, texting and driving is a higher skill ;)

Kloubek
06-29-2010, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed

http://www.cnbc.com/id/31545004/Texting_And_Driving_Worse_Than_Drinking_and_Driving

Interesting article Neil. In light of this new evidence, two things have become apparent: Sending and receiving texts by far reduces reaction times. However, being slightly drunk makes little difference.

Drunk it is....

:)

Jay911
06-29-2010, 12:21 PM
I will write text messages/etc when completely stopped and sure that I will stay stopped. The instant things get moving again it's put down till the next stop.

I also use a product called DriveSafe.ly. It's an app that reads my SMS, emails, etc out loud. As you can imagine, the name is the URL for the download.

Neil4Speed
06-29-2010, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek

Interesting article Neil. In light of this new evidence, two things have become apparent: Sending and receiving texts by far reduces reaction times. However, being slightly drunk makes little difference.

Drunk it is....

:)

Hahah, wrong intention completely!

GOnSHO
06-29-2010, 12:30 PM
Im pretty bad for this..

i text and drive all the time... phone calls are Bluetooth but...

ive mastered driving with my leg tho, im pro..

hands..off
06-29-2010, 12:37 PM
i used to text and bbm and call all the time while driving...
Till i bought my wrx and realized the lien and my insurance was money id rather spend to drive than money spent on a wrecked pos

Das Auto
06-29-2010, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by GOnSHO
Im pretty bad for this..

i text and drive all the time... phone calls are Bluetooth but...

ive masterbated while driving with my leg tho, im pro..
that's how initially read that.

i've never text and drive. having no friends makes this possible.

MGCM
06-29-2010, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by inline6turbo
I can admit I do it all the time. But I'm the stig, and can do it while lapping at the track :poosie:

.........isn't that 100% against the rules? IMHO if the track officials caught you doing that you would be told to leave.

GQBalla
06-29-2010, 03:55 PM
unfortunately.

i do all the time,

talk, text, pin, write emails, answer the on call phone and write notes in my berry......

sigh

but if it helps i can type without looking

Kennyredline
06-29-2010, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by adidas

so obviously ur male companion doesnt have anything in his mouth? lol

Fixed.:rofl:

C4S
06-29-2010, 11:37 PM
I know I shouldn't .. but ... I do check score .. and I will ..

NHL & World Cup .. :banghead:

Rowdy
06-30-2010, 07:41 AM
This thread is scary as hell. I can't believe how many people do it all the time. Well to all you invincible driving gods, who I know I know.......have way above average driving skills I doubt this will even impact you at all but I will tell anyways. Good friend of mine was hit by an above average driver, who was texting and driving. My friend was crossing the street in Kensigton walking on his way to SAIT. Above average driver changed from left lane to right to go around a 3 ton truck that was stopped and proceeded to hit my friend who was crossing in a crosswalk, everyone had stopped so he could cross, except for above average driver. He is alive but seriously fucked up, most likely his career is done. We were in class together, 3rd intake as electricians. He was a superfit athlete with no worries at all, who ended up with broken back, broken femur, broken hip, broken shoulder, 250 stitches, major concussion, and now a future of endless rehab. But above average driver got his text off so all is good for him.

Somehow I am sure that if I polled right now my story would probably have next to no impact. Because in the mind of invicible above average drivers, who can totally text without even looking, and can probably even read there incoming bbms without looking. The guy that hit my friends had no skillz, he just "thought" he was an above average driver. They would never have made the mistake of thinking a truck stopped in the left lane was turning left and not stopped for any other reason like maybe a pedestrian.

Text on you driving gods text on!

Rocky
06-30-2010, 08:08 AM
Extremely dangerous, particularly on touchscreen phones and Blackberry's which require two hands and a little more care in pressing each key. Distracting as hell. Reading I don't think is a big deal.

Most of the Beyond community is younger and more able bodied, so I think that a lot of us get away with texting safely (read/write), but we really shouldn't do it. Nor should a lot of the poorer drivers on the roads, including the newly licensed (inexperienced) or the generally unsafe ones. It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if they banned writing text messages while driving, if you ask me. But I should still be able to check my phone and not worry about being ticketed.